Thread: Me-wow! Texas woman says cat is 30 years old

Default Me-wow! Texas woman says cat is 30 years old

Me-wow! Texas woman says cat is 30 years old

When Alisa Morris adopted a kitten that she named Caterack in the summer of 1979, she had no idea that the 5-week-old ball of fluff who was blind in her left eye would still be staring back at her some 30 years later.

"Feral cats were born around my mother's house, and there was one she begged me to take from her," says Morris, an abstract artist. "She said 'there is something special about this one.' "

She wasn't kidding. The indoor cat, who Morris says is now 30 years old, lives a simple life with her owner and her husband, Jim Wesbrooks, in a three-bedroom house in Midlothian, Texas. Though she can't hear very well and only has vision in her right eye, Caterack is still mobile, though sometimes shaky on her feet, and enjoys life to the fullest — and likely could be among the oldest housecats in the world.

"I exercise in the house and she comes in ... If I put the stereo on loud enough, she reacts," says Morris. "She'll let me do lifts with her and I don't go around in circles because I don't want to make her nauseated. But she gets right in the middle of it."

Unlike most cats, Caterack enjoys confrontations with the vacuum. "When I've got the vacuum cleaner running, she comes to that. She does like it because she can hear it," she says.

Morris, who "celebrates and thanks God every day Caterack is here," takes special care to make sure her senior pet is comfortable in her old age. "She let's me hold her and brush her. I brush her every day and I watch TV and I hold her," she says, adding that the cat loves to lay on jeans. "She'll let you do anything to her." What's the secret to the cat's longevity? Nothing special that Morris can think of. The cat has dined on Purina Cat Chow most of her life, until recently when Morris switched her to wet food because she was having trouble chewing. "I've had to go to the little package stuff that's wet," she says. "That's the only thing that she can get down."
    The oldest cat ever recorded was a 38-year-old feline named Creme Puff, according to a rep from Guinness World Records. The cat, who was born in 1967, lived with her owner Jake Perry in Austin, Texas, before passing away in August 2005. This past August, the Burnley Expressnewspaper ran a story about Tizzie, a cat in Burnley, England, whose owners claim she is 36 years old. Some later reports suggest it could be a hoax.

Morris, who says she hasn't spent a night away from Caterack in five years, definitely worries about the day that she'll have to say goodbye to her fair-weather friend, who has been there to watch her two children (Casey, 33, and Sheree, 31) grow up and saw her through a 1981 divorce. "I've tried getting myself ready for when it's her time and I even given my okay to her if it's that time now," she says. "I told her 'it's okay, I'll be okay.'"

Elite Member

Pretty cat too! The oldest I have known is 23. Her name was Sundae. As she got older she became more grumpy. Arthritis hurts.

Wow. Many cats don't live to half her age. Sweet baby.

Wow.. and the cat doesn't even look super old either. My aunt had a cat in college that just died about 5 years ago.. made it to 20-something. I hope my cat lives a long time

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

My ex's family had two cats, a mother and daughter who lived to 22 and 23, but 30?? Wow!

Caterack, among world’s oldest cats, dies at 30

Caterack, among world’s oldest cats, dies at 30
    Brought home as a kitten in 1979, cat had a long, happy life with her owner

PeoplePets.com

updated 4:58 p.m. PT, Thurs., Oct . 22, 2009

Caterack, the kitty who kept owner Alisa Morris company the past 30 years, died on Thursday.
    Morris, who shared her beloved cat's story with PEOPLEPets.com last month, said her pet — who may have been among the world's oldest living cats — had been experiencing kidney problems and had gotten very frail.
    "I drove her to the vet wrapped in a towel," Morris told PEOPLEPets.com in an e-mail. "She purred when they prepped her and she went so peacefully."

In the cat's last days, Morris of Midlothian, Texas had switched Caterack to wet food because she was having trouble chewing. "I've had to go to the little package stuff that's wet," Morris had said earlier. "That's the only thing that she can get down."

The oldest cat ever recorded was a 38-year-old feline named Creme Puff, according to a rep from Guinness World Records. That cat died in 2005.

Morris had been readying herself to say goodbye to her daily companion of three decades, the one who helped her through a divorce and who was there to watch her two children grow up.
    "I told Caterack that she and I would be together again and she is in my heart, always."

It is so hard to let go-I don't care how old they are. Poor lady.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

that was a long time to be with a pet. it's hard to lose a pet at any time, but after 30 years, i can't even imagine. RIP
    Act normal and the crowd will accept you. Act deranged and they will make you their leader

Zee

Never knew they lived that long. Have always had barn cats only.
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

I'm sorry to hear that Caterack passed on...she had a very long and full life, didn't she? I love the name, too...

Oh it makes me so sad!!

Thread Information