Thread: Dog comes to aid of owner stuck in quicksand

Default Dog comes to aid of owner stuck in quicksand

A woman who found herself trapped and sinking fast in quicksand was saved by her pet dog.
    Christine Smith got into difficulties while walking her German wire-haired pointer Matilda on a beach.
    Trapped up to her knees and with no one else around, the doctor of philosophy began to panic and fear the worst.

Lifesaver: Dr Christine Smith with her pet dog, Matilda. The German pointer stood completely still by her owner's side while she was stuck in quicksand

But she hadn't reckoned on the heroics of her faithful hound. Seven-year-old Matilda bounded over and stood like a rock beside her for 15 minutes, providing a vital anchor to help the mother-of-two haul herself out.
    Mrs Smith said: 'She's my little star. She was amazing.'
    The drama happened on the flat sands at Arnside, Cumbria. The area is notorious for its dangerous quicksands which can snare walkers at low tide.
    Mrs Smith, of Underbarrow, near Kendal, was close to a stream when she realised she was sinking.
    She said: 'I had very short Wellington boots on and they were pretty quickly full of water and sand, which became completely solid.
    'My senses were saying "I don't know how I'm going to get out of this" which was a horrible feeling. I couldn't get my feet out at all and as I tried to pull one out, of course the other sank further in.

Scene of the accident: Arnside in Cumbria is notorious for its dangerous quicksands which can snare walkers at low tide

'Matilda came over. Normally she'll come to you and jump around and then wander off, but I believe she sensed I was in trouble.
    'She just stood absolutely still beside me which allowed me to use her back to lever myself out. In my panic, I kept falling back in, so I had to distribute my weight and let one leg go as low as it could.
    'Then I leaned my body on Matilda's back and pulled my leg as hard as I could. She was absolutely solid as a rock.'
    Eventually the exhausted academic got out. She said: 'I just crawled on my knees slowly to safety.'
    For centuries there has been a guide appointed by the Duchy of Lancaster to help walkers cross the potentially treacherous bay at Arnside at low tide.
    Official guide Cedric Robinson's advice to anyone who gets stuck in quicksand is to 'lie down and roll over'. He said: 'You might get muddy and wet but at least you'll get out.'

Read more:

Wonderful doggy!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Silver Member

Good job Matilda!

Animals never cease to amaze me. Great story.

Matilda looks like: "Yea I deed it".

Down by da beach....boyeee

Cool story! Why are the dog's eyes scaring me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Thread Information