Thread: Certified pre-owned cats: inspected, detailed, better than new!

Default Certified pre-owned cats: inspected, detailed, better than new!

Certified Pre-Owned Cats: Inspected, Detailed, Better Than New!

By Laura Northrup, 8:00 AM on Wed Aug 19 2009, 30,731 views

The problem: thousands of sweet, cuddly, adoptable adult cats languishing in shelters. People gravitate toward tiny kittens, which are plentiful in the summer months, leaving adult shelter cats without humans to own. A possible clever solution: Clever marketing ploys. Which is the origin of the Michigan Humane Society's Certified Pre-Owned Cats campaign.

With $0 down and 0% financing, you can bring a brand new (to you) cat home today!

Of course, a car metaphor applied to companion animals would have to come from Michigan.

The key part of this promotion is that the shelter is charging no adoption fees for adult cats—hence the "$0 down, no payments" gimmick. The idea is to get more cats into happy homes, and shelters have found that with careful screening, waiving the adoption fees doesn't affect the quality of homes they're able to find, or the rate of return.

Owner surrenders are up at shelters nationwide—mainly, people claim, for financial reasons. Pets are expensive, but going the pre-owned route can lead to substantial savings on vet bills.
    Patrick Boehringer of Canton, Mich., couldn't be a more satisfied customer. He calls Apricot, his Certified Pre-Owned Cat, "the best animal I ever had."
    Apricot came with a free "multipoint inspection" including spay/neuter surgery, vaccinations, behavioral evaluation and grooming. And you can't beat the price: As the Certified Pre-Owned Cats campaign poster says, with no money down, no financing and no payments, these cats are "better than new!"

Remember, savvy consumers, when shopping for a pre-owned cat, be sure to get its FIN (Feline Identification Number) and request a CATFAX® report before finalizing the adoption. Nobody wants to take home a lemon. Cat. (Or you could just talk to shelter staff about the cat's personality and medical history.)
    Source: Certified Pre-Owned Cats: Inspected, Detailed, Better Than New!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

LOL, love it. Hey, some people like those feisty cats.

Awesome marketing. Breaks my heart though. If I had any more I'd be my own animal shelter.

Thumbs up

LOL - I posted this earlier on our FB- local humane society page.
    'High, High. Yaw Both High and Smokin' Weeeed in Front of My Howse"
    Bah-Brahhh-Teen Mom

Silver Member

i did get our two as kittens however next time around i'd get an adult (if and when). my two still have plenty of years on them.

this sounds like a wonderful program. homes are needed for adult cats, they have much love to offer and it is so sad to see them left behind in the shelters. and the price is right!

both of my cats are old. we adopted one at 10 and he's 13 now.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

What a fantastic ad! And I love the relaxed and chillin' pose of the cat on the ad

I adopted my kitty at the Humane Society. She was already an adult, and while the kittens were cute she was perfect. She was supposed to primarily be my cat but once we got her home my cat-hating parents fell in love with her. She's been one of the best things to happen to our family. When I moved out she stayed with my parents because she is the spoiled pretty princess there (though I visit her often)

Thread Information