Thread: Kitten is resting nicely after rescue from Jersey City sewer

Default Kitten is resting nicely after rescue from Jersey City sewer

Richard J.McCormack/ for The Jersey JournalJersey City's sewer cat is resting comfortably at the West Side Avenue Animal Hospital, officials said.

If you were wondering what happened to that Jersey City kitten that was rescued Saturday afternoon from drowning in a sewer catch basin, it is resting comfortably at the West Side Avenue Animal Hospital.
    Believe it or not, there is patient/hospital confidentiality at work here, but the estimated month-old feline is sore but basically in good health, according to Roselle Camaligan, manager of the animal hospital. The kitten is also a male.
    "Our sore kitten is in the custody of the city Board of Health, and he is getting medical attention and resting comfortably," Camaligan said. "Right now, he is enjoying the air conditioning."
    Andy Krochalk, of the Liberty Humane Society, said it will be a while before the "John Doe" kitten is put up for adoption. A cat needs to be at least 2 months old and weigh 2 pounds before it can be spayed or neutered.
    "We sometimes wait until they are 2 1/2 to 3 pounds to be on the safe side before any surgery," said Krochalk. "Until then, the cat is in foster care."
    When it is ready for adoption, there is a seven-day waiting period to allow an owner to come forward before it can go to a new home, according to Animal Control Officer Emanuel Machado.
    The kitten almost did not make it to the animal hospital, according to its rescuer, Animal Control Officer Richard Lorenzi, who heard the cat's protest while standing on the corner at West Side and Communipaw avenues.
    As members of the police Emergency Services Unit lifted the sewer basin grating, Lorenzi dropped down into the dark, wet confines and plucked the kitten out of the water as the little furry head went under the surface.
    Richard J.McCormack/ for The Jersey JournalJohn kitten immediately after being rescued Saturday.
    "There were so many people around the intersection asking if they could have the cat," he said.
    It is not unusual to find kittens on the street this time of the year.
    "There is a kitten season, from spring to the fall," explained Amy Geduldig of the ASPCA national organization in New York City.
    "It is the warm months when female cats go into heat. It is also when shelters around the country are busiest with cats."
    Gail Buchwald, senior vice president of the ASPCA adoption center points out that the number of cats on the street is a result of human irresponsibility.
    "Those feral cats are a result of pets being released or because 'intact' cats, those pets which are not spayed or neutered, are left to roam outside the home," said Buchwald. "Breeding season is triggered by cycles of longer daylight. Cats will roam for longer periods. A male cat will disappear for a longer time, sometimes days. They can smell a female cat a mile away."
    She said the biggest threat to cats during this period are not catch basins but cars.
    Those who are interested in adopting the "John Doe" cat in Jersey City may want to consider that it may be harder for a new kitten to acclimate itself with an owner if it has had no previous human contact for 14 days, according to Buchwald. Each week that passes it becomes progressively more difficult to bond.
    There are still those who say they have beat the odds and still have managed to have a furry companion.

Kitten is resting nicely after rescue from Jersey City sewer - NJ.com

Hit By Ban Bus!

OMG how awful! Sorry, but the cynic in me says some piece of shit probably threw it into the sewer. As for the bonding, please, I've had adult feral cats bond with me. This little boy just needs some love, attention, cuddles and good care and he will be fine. The oldest cat I've had died two years ago at age 23, coming in second was my mother's cat (who was mine till I went off to college and she stayed with my mom) was 21, and third was another of my cats, 19. And yes, with EVERY animal I have, the very moment they are of age, they are spayed or neutered. I am not a breeder, nor do I want to be. Hope this kitty gets a good, loving home.

OMG how awful! Sorry, but the cynic in me says some piece of shit probably threw it into the sewer.
    I must be cynical too because it's the first thing I thought of too.

Poor little baby - I hope it goes to a good home.

Silver Member

jansi - you've been truly blessed to have your kitties with you for so long, that tells me you've given them lots of love and good vet care. God bless you for being such a great cat Mom!

that poor sewer kitty. i hope the people that wanted him will follow thru and he'll get a good home once he's ready to be placed. so thankful the little sport was rescued and is safely mending. and got a good bath, lol!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    I must be cynical too because it's the first thing I thought of too.

Poor little baby - I hope it goes to a good home.
    Isn't it terrible that we think this way, but it unfortunately happens, and I saw too many cruel acts when I volunteered with a shelter. A woman I worked with once told me a story about getting her daughter a hampster. Not knowing they are nocturnal, that night the little guy was running in his wheel. Well her husband couldn't stand it and in the middle of the night, he was in the street dropping it into a sewer!!! (She told me this like it was OK!!!!) I asked why they couldn't just move his cage elsewhere and return him to the pet shop, duh! It was as if this never occurred to her.

Quote Originally Posted by zigzag View Post
    jansi - you've been truly blessed to have your kitties with you for so long, that tells me you've given them lots of love and good vet care. God bless you for being such a great cat Mom!

that poor sewer kitty. i hope the people that wanted him will follow thru and he'll get a good home once he's ready to be placed. so thankful the little sport was rescued and is safely mending. and got a good bath, lol!
    He certainly did get a good bath! Poor angel! I am thankful the poor little guy didn't drown. Thank you, I truly have been blessed, and yes, my babies always get the best care and lots and lots of love! I have had many pets live long, long lives, and then some, unfortunately went too soon, due to illness. Right after I lost my 23 year old cat, my 16 1/2 year old collie/retreiver mix died, and before her my 16 year old doberman (a long life for a doberman, they usually live about 10 years). As you can see, we always have furry family members around. We once even adopted a 10 year old chocolate lab, but the poor guy only lived a year. Are you a kitty person?

Silver Member

Jansi - yes i'm a kitty person. i have two. a 9 yr. old boy tiger and a 5 yr. old girl long hair. the boy came from a shelter and the girl from a sub-par pet store. they are our little loves! however we love all pets.

Thread Information