Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you like to memorialize your pet?

Default How would you like to memorialize your pet?

I am sure there are pet lovers like me out there. I have had to say goodbye to 2 beloved dogs in the past few years and have found it hard to find a way to memorialize them. I had each cremated and looked for weeks to find the right container for the ashes, I did not want the typical urn.... but an un-ornated box to place their ashes and collars as well as the cards I received.
    I now have 2 more wonderful pups that share their love and wonder of life with me and my family! But I cant help but wonder how I could do more for them than I did for my last babies.
    Please share what is important to you for your pets.... what have you saved? How would you like to remember them? How would you like to memorialize them?

I have one in a beautiful pet cemetary. One in the back yard of my rent property. My sister-who lost all 4 of her pets-2 dogs,2 cats-since Katrina, has hers cremated and then placed in their favorite spot in her back yard. I'm going to do that next time.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'm having my pets cremated, and when I die, I have let it be known that I want to be cremated as well. I want ALL our ashes scattered together

my boyfriend and i have joked about getting our dogs stuffed once they die. that way we can still pat them on the head once and awhile.
    I'm not loafing, I just work so fast I'm always finished.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsJB View Post
    my boyfriend and i have joked about getting our dogs stuffed once they die. that way we can still pat them on the head once and awhile.
    ^ this would be a bit too morbid for me!

But seriously, we have lost many, many pets, and once upon a time, we used to bury their ashes in the yard. We were in the same house for 17 years. It was really tough to leave, knowing they would be left behind. We thought we would never leave that house, but things change.

In our new house, we keep the boxes and I get a plaque made with their name and dates and put it in the yard in a secluded area we have designated as our pet cemetary. We always write something beautiful about their precious lives, the love they gave us, how much they meant to us, etc., and read it aloud, when we get their ashes. We then put what we have written into the box with the ashes. We save their collars and tags, in another box, which we keep with the boxes of ashes. I cannot bury them, because I don't want to have to leave them behind if we ever move again. In the pet cemetary, we have a stone statue of St. Francis, the plaques on the ground and a stone bench. I always order the plaques from the same place, so they are the same. Don't know if I can mention where I get the plaques here? Don't want to break rules. If we ever move again, everyone can go with us.

My hubby and I want all the ashes mixed together when we die, and scattered. All close friends and family know this.

So sorry for your loss. I have, since moving nine years ago, lost five dogs and three cats. But, when one goes, it gives us the chance to save another. No one replaces the lost pet; they couldn't! A new life is welcomed into our home, with their distinct personality, and take their place in our hearts.

That's very moving, Jansi. It would be wonderful if our pets lived longer - even another 10 or 20 years would do! It is so heartbreaking when they die.

Our childhood pets are also buried in the backyard of the family home and my parents have since moved. But whenever I visit my parents, I always feel the presence of our long-dead pets. Somehow, I think they are still with us.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by Wiseguy View Post
    That's very moving, Jansi. It would be wonderful if our pets lived longer - even another 10 or 20 years would do! It is so heartbreaking when they die.

Our childhood pets are also buried in the backyard of the family home and my parents have since moved. But whenever I visit my parents, I always feel the presence of our long-dead pets. Somehow, I think they are still with us.
    Thanks. I hope I gave you some good ideas. Some of our pets died too early (various health problems), and then I had my LuLu (Collie/Golden Retriever mix), who lived 16 1/2 years, Penna (Doberman) who lived 16 years, and two cats, Minka age 23 and Mario age 19! LuLu and Minka died in my arms. One of my pets (Buddy, huge (125 lbs) chocolate Lab, was a senior when adopted, guesstimate was about 10-11, he lived a year but that year was good. We loved him and he knew it. During his year with us, he got to frequently go into the lake, roll around and play in the snow endlessly, dig big holes in the yard and lay in them, and when tumors inside him became painful, we put him on Rimadyl and we would heat his blanket in the dryer and wrap him in it. Finally the Rimadyl stopped working and it was time... I also lost my Blue Doberman, Allie (another really big dog - 120 lbs), during the period when it was discovered that some dog food was poisoned. Broke my heart -- she lost 22 lbs in a week, and then her organs began to shut down! She could not be saved. She was only six.

I wish they lived as long as humans, but then I guess I wouldn't get the chance to save others. And, I am with you, I think they are always with us!

Question: If you have to have a pet euthanized, are you there with them?

A*O

I can't imagine how our family will cope when our beloved dogs die. They are 6 yrs old so hopefully they are not even halfway through their lives yet but I sometimes think how we will deal with it. We will probably bury them in a quiet corner of the garden and plant a tree or something rather than cremate them and then put them in an urn which I wouldn't even do for a human loved one. If they are gone you have to let go IMO and cherish the memories, not a few ashes. But then we get into the debate about whether animals have souls and do they go to a Better Place like humans do.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Agreed-I like my Sister's-cremate,but put in favored part of garden. Believe me-it is hard work to bury one still whole.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

When my Manthy was put down I was there. It was the most horrifing experience in my life. She was such a huge part of my life, she helped me get through my divorce and was there to "help" raise my son. She had brain tumors and seizures, she got to the point that she lost control of her hind legs as well as her bowls, but I could see in her eyes how sorry she was. It broke my heart but I knew she would never recover. I sat on the floor with her when they gave her the injections and she just went to sleep. I felt like a murdered my best friend... I had nightmares for months and cried at the drop of a hat. About 3 months later I had a wonderful dream about her and woke up smelling her...(she had the sweetest smell in the mornings), that day I got my new puppy! This littlel guy was the spitting image of her personality in a tiny package. He is now my little angle.
    My Greyhound Dawson had to be put down about 2 years later and after having to carry him into the vet because he couldnt walk, there was no way I could stay in the room while they put him down. They put me in a seperate room then told me when he was gone. That was really hard to not hold him but I just couldnt go through it again.
    Either way you decide to go, make sure you have someone with you that understands how much you love them to get you home and talk you through the pain. I was alone for both but have made a point of being there for my friends when its time for their babies to go.

This is one of those things that's almost too much to think about.

I had a beautiful cocker spaniel that was so gentle and sweet and she got out and was mauled by a Chow. We took her to the vet, but she didn't make it. I was so devastated. My father buried her in her favorite blanket in their yard. It's been many years now, but I'm tearing up just thinking about it and typing it. Anyway . . .

I didn't get another dog for a very long time, because I couldn't stand the idea of losing another one. I finally decided I wanted to even if it meant it would hurt when they go. I got my baby dog a little over 3 years ago. I don't know what I'll do when something happens to him. I hope he lives a long life and however he goes it's peaceful and pain-free. I'll probably bury him in a peaceful spot in my parent's yard - that seems more permanent to me somehow, to have him there - and mark it with one of those pet headstones that's probably way over the top and the mark of weirdness.

Hit By Ban Bus!

Whenever we've had a pet euthanized, both my husband and I have been there. We feel it is scary enough for our poor baby to be in a cold room with strangers, and we want to be right there holding them. We want them to feel our love and not be frightened, and to be the last thing they see as they drift off. I am so sorry it was so terrible for you. I am so glad you got a new baby to love.

Thanks, I appreciate that, and I'm glad I did, too. I'm fairly certain he does, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsJB View Post
    LOL, I was talking about this with my mom yesterday that when my beagle dies (luckily, he's only 3 now) that I want him stuffed so I can have him around until I die! Then we'll both be cremated and poured in the ocean!

When our family lab passed a few years ago, I begged my Mom to let me keep the ashes. I was actually in the room when we put him down because she couldn't care to be there. I just think it was hard for her to have that reminder, although she kept his Grateful Dead collar!

ETA: My sympathies Ettabell! I know how hard it is to be in the room but I truly feel so much better that I was there with Duke when he passed. I chose him as a puppy and I was going to be there when he left us. The pain doesn't really ever go away, I can still cry (currently wiping tears) every time I think about him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

We have an urn which is basically a hollow picture frame. It folds into two, and one side is a place for the photo and remains, and the other side is a place for a cast of the pawprint. That way, we can keep him with us, DH wants to be buried with him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information