Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Lucky Betty: Puppy survives after swallowing a 10inch toy arrow

  1. #1
    Elite Member Honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006

    Default Lucky Betty: Puppy survives after swallowing a 10inch toy arrow

    Puppies are know for chewing and eating on everything and anything.
    But Betty the bull terrier must have regretted her greed and curiosity after she swallowed a 10-inch plastic arrow that was almost as long as herself.
    Thankfully, the Staffordshire bull terrier survived after undergoing emergency surgery to remove the item after it became lodged halfway through her body from the oesophagus to her small intestine.

    The whole point: Betty and the 10.5 inch toy arrow that she managed to swallow

    Her owner Emma Watson, 38, believes her pet gobbled up the arrow after disappearing into her seven-year-old daughter Lilly-Jay's playhouse when a gust of wind opened the door.
    She heard coughing and spluttering so she rushed in to help the animal but saw nothing untoward.
    But the following day, the puppy, who is eight months old, went off her food and began being sick.

    Sharp pain: An X-ray shows the arrow running along the length of Betty's body

    'Betty started to vomit and wasn't eating or drinking, which is totally unlike her. Normally she is very boisterous and playful but she was very quiet and didn't want to be around anyone, not even my daughter,' Ms Watson said.
    An X-ray taken at Thamesmead PDSA PetAid Hospital revealed the foreign object lodged in her intestine.
    Miss Watson, from Swanley in Kent, said: 'I simply can't believe what Betty did. She was so small and the arrow so long. I'm amazed that it was physically possible for her to swallow it.'

    Happy family: Lilly-Jay Watson, front left, holds the toy arrow as she poses with her mother Emma, right, her grandfather Steve, back left, and veterinary surgeon Christopher Pollard, centre, who holds a scarred Betty

    Veterinary surgeon Chris Pollard, who operated on Betty at the charity's centre, said: 'The X-rays were surprising to say the least. The arrow was so long it virtually ran through Betty's body but it also explained why she was so ill.

    'The main concern was the length of the arrow and where it ended - in the small intestine. This could have penetrated the stomach wall and proved fatal. We had to operate immediately.
    'The operation proved incredibly intricate as Betty was so young and her internal organs were still not yet fully developed.
    'Considering Betty's size as a puppy, it really is amazing that she managed to swallow a 10.5inch-long arrow.'
    Betty was kept in overnight and fed tiny portions of food and water to ensure the stitches did not come apart.
    But although she is on the mend, the Watsons are still going to have to keep a close eye on her.
    Ms Watson added: 'She doesn't appear to have learned her lesson because as soon as she got home she tried to eat the TV remote control so we're keeping a very close eye on her now to prevent anything like this from happening again.'

    Read more:

  2. #2
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005


    And dogs are smarter than cats hmmm? Glad the little thing is ok though.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Puppy survives after 'flush' with death
    By Fluffy in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: June 16th, 2009, 08:13 AM
  2. Kangaroo survives arrow shot through head *graphic pic*
    By Honey in forum Pets and Animals
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: May 12th, 2009, 11:16 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: December 12th, 2008, 11:00 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 14th, 2008, 02:15 PM
  5. Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts