Thread: Dogs are smarter than cats, research shows

Unhappy Dogs are smarter than cats, research shows

Dogs are smarter than cats, research shows - Telegraph

The thought processes of 15 cats were tested by attaching food to the end of lengths of string and observing whether they could figure out that pulling the line brought the treats closer.
    The cats had no problem with tackling single pieces of string. However, when faced with two options, experts discovered that unlike their canine counterparts, cats were unable to consistently pick a baited string over a dummy.

Mrs Osthaus, of Canterbury Christ Church University, Kent, said: "This finding is somehow surprising as cats regularly use their paws and claws to pull things towards them during play and hunting.
    "They performed even worse than dogs, which can at least solve the parallel string task."
    She added that the results show that cats do not understand cause-and-effect connections between objects.
    The experiments involved attaching fish and biscuit treats to one end of a piece of string, placing them under a plastic screen to make them unreachable.
    They were tested in three ways, using a single baited string, two parallel strings where only one was baited, and two crossed strings where only one was baited.
    With two crossed strings, one cat always made the wrong choice and others succeeded no more than might be expected by chance.
    Mrs Osthaus added: "If we know their limits we won't expect too much of them, which in turn is important for their welfare.
    "I am not trying to say cats are stupid, just they are different. We are so anthropomorphic we can't see the world through their eyes."

Hit By Ban Bus!

Cats aren't dumb, they just knew it was a stupid experiment.

Dogs every time. They own cats!

cats were unable to consistently pick a baited string over a dummy.
    Cats PLAY with strings. They've designed an experiment that cannot possibly give them reliable data.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Cats PLAY with strings. They've designed an experiment that cannot possibly give them reliable data.
    Good point!

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Cats are just more primitive than dogs, a bit less fully domesticated. Cats will outsurvive (house pet) dogs in a nature setting any day of the week. They are the supreme hunters and can adapt to more climates. They just don't aim to serve like dogs do and don't care if you think they are smart or not because studies like this are beneath them.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cats have a different intelligence than dogs, and many of them are incredibly smart and figure out cause and effect just fine. One of our late kitties loved my big makeup brush and figured out how to open the makeup box drawer to steal it for herself. Another one knows where the treats are kept and also knows he can't open the drawer for himself, so he sits and whines until someone comes along to open the drawer and give him a cookie. I love cats and dogs and all critters, and I don't understand why "scientists" keep insisting on comparing and judging them, based on their own faulty criteria. They are what they are, and they are all unique and perfect just as they are.

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    Cats aren't dumb, they just knew it was a stupid experiment.

I don't pretend my cat is intelligent in any way, but she's pretty good company.

That's her down there, in my sig, looking all fierce.

In my experience owning both, cats are way smarter than dogs.

I love both and they just cannot be subjected to this kind of study. It proves nothing. Compare apples to oranges!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love both and they just cannot be subjected to this kind of study. It proves nothing. Compare apples to oranges!
    ITA.

This is a stupid experiment. Cats do not see as well as dogs. Yeah, I know everyone thinks cats see better than everyone else, but the truth is, if a cat were human they would be considered legally blind.

Cats eyes are designed to see movement. Things in motion that would be an absolute blur to us are clear as day to cats, while stationary objects are nothing but a blurry obstacle to them (until you move it).

They need to choose a test designed around their biology, but cats are smarter than most people, IMO.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Thread Information