Thread: "VICIOUS killer chipmunks". I wish I was making that up.

Default "VICIOUS killer chipmunks". I wish I was making that up.

Breakout fuels killer chipmunk concerns

By RHODRI PHILLIPS
    Published: 27 Jul 2009

VICIOUS killer chipmunks that escaped from a British park four years ago have never been found - and could now have bred into a horde thousands strong, The Sun can reveal.

The news will confirm experts' worst fears that the disease-ridden rodents, which are plaguing northern France, have already established themselves in numbers here.

About 30 of the deadly critters went on the run from Wellington Country Park on the Hampshire/Berkshire border in 2005.
    Eighteen died and eight more were found or shot - but disturbingly FOUR remained free.

At the time Defra - the Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, said they were wanted "dead or alive", because of the threat they posed to the countryside and native wildlife.

They can also carry Lyme disease, which targets the nervous system and can be fatal to humans, and even rabies.

With chipmunks reproducing at alarming rates there could be hundreds or thousands here now.

In France their numbers have swelled to 100,000 after just 17 were freed from a park in 1980.

The Sun reported last week how Britain has been invaded by deadly chipmunks pouring in to the country from France - and how one attacked a pet cat TWICE its size in Staffordshire.

Chipmunk breeder Sharon Balchin, 50, from Potters Bar, Herts, said: "It's a worry. Chipmunks will have no problem surviving. There is enough food for them."

A Defra spokeswoman said: "If chipmunks become invasive there is a big threat to our wildlife."

Breakout fuels killer chipmunk fears | The Sun |News

Twice its size? What is that, a kitten?

LOOK OUT! He's going for the jugular!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Killer chipmunks, huh? Do they differ from the ones that live here in the States? Because the ones that we have living in our yard aren't remotely "vicious." Pain in the ass, absolutely. My dog was chasing one in our backyard and the thing almost ran right into my house before I screamed ... and I *swear* I could see it practically hyperventilating from pure fear. And the family that lives under our front cement and brick front porch/stairs have RUINED it ... they're digging tunnels under it and parts of it are sinking and it's going to cost us some nice bucks to have it redone. Little fockers. They run rampant around here.

This could explain Miley Cyrus.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    This could explain Miley Cyrus.

I keep seeing this story every it seems. I regularly take pictures of the cheesy headlines on the boards outside of news agents and this was one of them. I knew my family back in the states would get a good laugh.

Thread Information