Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Ten household items that can poison your pet

  1. #1
    Elite Member Wiseguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,201

    Default Ten household items that can poison your pet

    Common household items can be toxic for dogs and cats. Ingestion of just a small amount of some cleaning products, food, and plants can be fatal. Other toxins, exposed to paws and skin, can cause serious illnesses. Be sure to keep the following items away from your pet.
    1. Laundry detergents and fabric softener sheets can smell sweet and intrigue a curious pet. If ingested, these can cause digestive problems, irritation of the mouth and tongue, and even death. Never put a fabric softener sheet in a petís bed or kennel to make it smell fresher.
    2. Mouse and ant killers can be tracked around the house. If exposed to a paw, it can easily be ingested causing a host of health issues. Bring your pet immediately to the vet if you suspect they have had contact with this type of poison.
    3. Chocolate, even in small amounts, can harm a dogís heart and nervous system. Never feed a dog any food containing chocolate.
    4. Ice melt on driveways and stairs can easily become stuck to paws and fur. When an animal cleans itself, ingesting the chemicals in the ice melt, there can be harmful reactions including skin irritations, seizures, and even death.
    5. Oleander, mistletoe, and lily plants are toxic to dogs and cats. Just one leaf from an oleander can kill a small pet. When discarding these plants, do not burn them. Inhaling the smoke can be harmful or even fatal to a pet.
    6. Macadamia nuts contain a toxin that can wreak havoc on a dogís digestive and nervous systems.
    7. Tylenol can be fatal for a pet. Never give dogs or cats any pain medication intended for humans. If a pet appears to be in pain, contact your vet.
    8. Antifreeze is deadly for dogs. The sweet smell attracts many dogs who lap up the pungent liquid. Use a pet friendly alternative to antifreeze.
    9. Avocados, raisins, grapes, and onions all contain toxins that are very dangerous for dogs. These foods can cause kidney failure and digestive problems. Onions can be particularly dangerous so never feed a dog any leftovers such as pizza or Chinese food.
    10. Mouthwash contains boric acid, which can be extremely harmful to your pet. Never rinse your petís mouth with an antiseptic intended for humans. And keep the liquid out of reach as the smell can attract dogs and cats.
    Doggies.com | Ten Household Items That Can Poison Your Pet
    Last edited by Wiseguy; July 2nd, 2009 at 07:05 AM.

  2. #2
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,469

    Default

    my dog got into the cupboard yesterday and ate a whole block of cooking chocolate..he nearly died it was terrible

  3. #3
    Elite Member Mrs P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6,758

    Default

    Antifreeze is deadly for dogs. The sweet smell attracts many dogs who lap up the pungent liquid. Use a pet friendly alternative to antifreeze.

    I had a neighbour that fed antifreeze to stray cats, which was ridiculous because my mother and I would capture the cats to have them spay/neutered and put into a no-kill facilitiy. Watching a few of those die slowly from the antifreeze was just fucking awful. Luckily karma came - he had a heart attack at 55 and his wife got breast cancer.


  4. #4
    Elite Member Honey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    59,014

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Ho View Post
    my dog got into the cupboard yesterday and ate a whole block of cooking chocolate..he nearly died it was terrible
    Sorry Heidi, is he ok?

    I didn't know about avocados. Peike, good ending there! Poor cats

  5. #5
    Elite Member KrisNine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Sleepy night night land
    Posts
    22,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi Ho View Post
    my dog got into the cupboard yesterday and ate a whole block of cooking chocolate..he nearly died it was terrible
    Oh, poor baby. I hope he's ok now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Peike View Post
    Antifreeze is deadly for dogs. The sweet smell attracts many dogs who lap up the pungent liquid. Use a pet friendly alternative to antifreeze.

    I had a neighbour that fed antifreeze to stray cats, which was ridiculous because my mother and I would capture the cats to have them spay/neutered and put into a no-kill facilitiy. Watching a few of those die slowly from the antifreeze was just fucking awful. Luckily karma came - he had a heart attack at 55 and his wife got breast cancer.

    Is it wrong that I find joy in their misery???

  6. #6
    Hit By Ban Bus!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    1,469

    Default

    yea he is fine now they just gave him a injection and was all better but he was seriously sick vomiting eveywhere and couldnt walk and every time he tried to walk his face would smash on the ground!! I cant believe he ate a whole block he is such a guts he is so tiny half chihuaha half pomeranian...

  7. #7
    Elite Member DeadDwarf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,816

    Default

    I thought it was dark chocolate that was the deadliest, it has more of the "deadly ingredient." My neighbors little dog (10 lbs) ate a huge king size Hershey's Milk Chocolate bar and he was 100% fine, no shits, nothing. Maybe it is large amounts of chocolate that are dangerous and obviously if it's a small dog he would have to eat maybe only a few chocolate bars worth?

    Anyway, my 13 lb dog only gets dog food to eat from us, but he has snuck a few grapes/crackers/cheeses here and there from my toddler. He's fine, nothing from the grapes. He can't get into the cupboards and he is watched when he is in the house. I've never worried about this kind of stuff, but things were baby proofed before we had a kid (because of the small dog).

  8. #8
    Elite Member Wiseguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3,201

    Default

    yea he is fine now they just gave him a injection and was all better but he was seriously sick vomiting eveywhere and couldnt walk and every time he tried to walk his face would smash on the ground!! I cant believe he ate a whole block he is such a guts he is so tiny half chihuaha half pomeranian...
    Poor little thing. Thank goodness he's ok now.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: May 20th, 2009, 06:54 PM
  2. Surprising expiration dates of common household items
    By celeb_2006 in forum Food and Cuisine
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: November 7th, 2008, 01:22 PM
  3. What is your most hated household chore?
    By Sojiita in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: February 15th, 2008, 02:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •