Thread: AP Poll: Americans consider pets family

Default AP Poll: Americans consider pets family

AP Poll: Americans consider pets family - Yahoo! News

NEW YORK Susan Jacobs and her companion Kingston both like chicken and collards, chilling on the couch and riding in her convertible with the breeze tussling his curly black hair.
    Kingston, it should be said, is a black poodle. But for Jacobs, 45, of Long Beach, Calif., he is like a child.
    "The next time I travel, I'll probably take him with me," said Jacobs, a Mary Kay consultant and freelance writer. "I'm just used to him being around."
    An Associated Press-Petside.com poll released Tuesday found that half of all American pet owners consider their pets as much a part of the family as any other person in the household; another 36 percent said their pet is part of the family but not a full member.
    And that means pets often get the human touch: Most pet owners cop to feeding animals human food, nearly half give the animals human names and nearly a third let them sleep in a human bed. While just 19 percent had bought an outfit for a pet, 43 percent felt their pet had its own "sense of style."
    Nathan Nommensen, 19, a college student who lives with his parents in Winthrop Harbor, Ill., said their golden retriever Molly sleeps in his parents' room, goes with them on camping trips and appears in their annual family Christmas photo.
    He doesn't consider her a full member of the family, though. "She's part of the family but not a human part of the family," he said.
    Singles were more likely to say a pet was a full member of the family than married people 66 percent of single women versus 46 percent of married women, for example. And men were less likely to call their pet a full member of the household.
    For some single women, pets become surrogate children, said Kristen Nelson, a veterinarian in Scottsdale, Ariz. She said men are also attached to pets but are less likely to admit it because it's not seen as masculine.
    Debbie Jablonski, 50, of Wilmington, N.C., talks about her cats like a mom talks about her children.
    Milkshake, who sleeps at the foot of her bed, sticks his cold nose on her eyelid and touches his paw to her face at 4:30 a.m. to wake her up and feed him. The other cat, Licorice, sleeps on the couch and has a habit of sitting on her newspaper when she is trying to read it.
    "If you try to budge her, she will not move," said Jablonski, laughing. "You will have to practically pick her up and move her."
    Jablonski, who works for a laboratory equipment manufacturer, celebrates the cats' birthdays, includes photos of the cats in holiday cards and watches home movies of them playing.
    Most pet owners don't go that far, according to the survey. Only a little over a quarter celebrate their pet's birthday or the day it came to live with them and just a third have included a pet's photo or name in a holiday card.
    Still, 42 percent of pet owners have taken a pet on vacation, with dogs more likely to accompany the family than cats. Dog owners were also more likely to take their pets to work (21 percent) or somewhere the animal wasn't allowed (18 percent).
    When it comes to feedings, nearly half of all dog owners and 40 percent of cat owners admit giving their pets human food at least sometimes.
    Jimmy Ruth Martin, 73, who sells real estate in Louisville, Texas, said she gives her border collie Samantha table food: chicken, steak, potatoes, salad, ice cream. "She'll eat anything I'm eating," she said.
    She said her dog has gotten so fat, she can't climb up on the bed. "The table scraps have done that."
    Helen Reed, 60, of Clearfield, Pa., said her cat Sadie has personality she is not a lap cat, sleeps at the foot of the bed and likes to be in the same room as her. But she doesn't dress her up.
    Martin doesn't squeeze Samantha into cute outfits, either, though she said the dog does have her own sense of style. "She's still a dog and I know it," she said.
    Bernice Miller, 71, of Springfield, Mo., said she likes to dress her Maltese up as a pumpkin on Thanksgiving and Santa on Christmas. She has a photo of she and the dog on her wall, signs his name "Tully" to cards and gives him treats on his birthday.
    "He's the best little thing," said Miller, who is retired. "He just begs to go with me, so I don't leave him too much. He's just like a little kid."
    The AP-Petside.com poll was conducted by GfK Roper Public Affairs & Media from May 28-June 1, 2009. It is based on landline and cellular telephone interviews with a random sample of 1,110 pet owners. The margin of error is plus or minus 2.9 percentage points.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

Yeah, I'm one of those over the top crazy animal people...................and proud of it!

Just look at my little Crumpet in my avi.....she has her own clothes for special occasions (like visiting the nursing home) and she likes being pushed around in her stroller (I can keep her away from people who don't like dogs or want them on them). All my animals are awesome!
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazy pet person here too. My husband and I live our lives around our animals. They are our children.

Crazy chihuahua person checking in. My boyfriend and I absolutely feel that our little one is part of our family.

We can't wait to get dogs. I've always been an animal lover and will never change!

This is not weird to me at all. Infact, the dog being outside away from the family is more weird in my opinion. I couldn't do it to my baby!

I love watching him go outside to run around/go to the toilet, then trot back inside with that 'I'm home!' look on his face.

I'm guilty of anthropomorphizing my dog. My husband and I both have "conversations" with the dog where we have him say all sorts of smart-ass shit. Isn't that how Jim Davis came up with the concept of Garfield? Anyway, I know it's weird, but sometimes it's funny and I love him so much! Plus I try not to do it in public to lessen the dog's humiliation (and mine.)

Your dog talks?

Mine is suddenly so inferior.

The brainiest dog of all time has to go to Skidboot. This dog can just about talk!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2BfzUIBy9A[/youtube]

Wiseguy,I gonna kill you! I am just weeping. That is a fantastic dog.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^^It's unbelievable, isn't it?? I've never seen anything like this before. Just amazing.

My dogs were my babies, even after my babies came along. Mind you, I never dressed them up, other than bandanas. I would make their food for them homemade and did a lot of research into their healthcare and nutrition. Some poor guy a week ago made the mistake of mentioning he was a dog person, we probably bored him to tears with stories of Banz.

Mine are pampered fur babies. I don't dress them,except at Halloween. Bogey makes a fabulous Super Dog. Ginger is Bo Peep. The rest of the year,just a seasonal bandana around their necks. Festive! They eat dog food,chewies. Occasional snack-like popcorn. Ginger sleeps with me,under the cover. Bogey always hops up to say good night,then he gets in his own bed. They brighten up our lives & make us laugh several times a day.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Aww I love Skidboot! It had me tearing up too...

My beagle is my only child and I treat him as such!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Thread Information