Thread: Help, nature lover has too much nature

Hit By Ban Bus!

Default Help, nature lover has too much nature

We feed the birds, we feed the chipmonks - come one come all. We have a fish pond and we feed them too. We don't mind sharing fruit and vegetables from our garden. However..................... today we saw two rats eating the bird seed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not a rat or mice lover. They bring disease. How do I get rid of the rats with out killing everything else? If we stop feeding the birds we still have our garden and we can't/won't get rid of that.

Any ideas? Any one else have this problem?

It's freaking me out, if they ever get in the house there will be glue boards!!!!

Make sure to use no waste seed and do not put any on the ground. Our chipmunks can easily climb up to the birdfeeder to eat but rats can't. Good luck! Rats are nasty little vermin.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Peach, you sound like a nice person, so please, please, don't use glue traps. They are really cruel. No critter deserves to suffer, if you have to kill them please kill them quickly and as painlessly as possible. Snap traps are much kinder than those awful glue traps, which really should be banned. If you have any cats in the neighborhood they'll likely take care of the rats. To prevent spilled seed, you could install bird seed catchers under the feeders. They are cheap too.

Droll Yankee Seed Tray A-6T Bird Feeder

Bird Stuff Add-A-Tray

Hit By Ban Bus!

When I worked for Radio Shack our store got covered over in roof rats. It was a freaking nightmare. They tried everything and let me say those old fashioned spring loaded things were a blood bath...... ack!!!!

I saw a rat trapped on a glue board and was suprised to find that the exterminator then beat the thing to death. I hate glue boards and they are just wrong.

However let me say if rats/mice get into my house I will use the most effective method even if it means pulling out the gun. They carry diseases, they eat everything and their pee smells worse than anything I've ever smelt.

Problem with the bird seed catchers is they are going after the veggies in the garden too.

I had no idea this would happen. This is what happens when you try to make a farmer Ted out of a suburbanite. argggggggggggggg
    Last edited by GaPeach; June 20th, 2009 at 03:10 PM.

Wait! You can get a walk-in kind at Walmarts- the rat gets trapped & you just pick it up and release elsewhere. Very kind.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Wait! You can get a walk-in kind at Walmarts- the rat gets trapped & you just pick it up and release elsewhere. Very kind.

McJag we tried that first I promise. They got out of the trap. We caught one rat and one mouse and about 15 minutes later they were out and gone and so was the peanut butter. I would love for the traps to work. It's hotter than Hades today so maybe they'll all just freaking melt.

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    McJag we tried that first I promise. They got out of the trap. We caught one rat and one mouse and about 15 minutes later they were out and gone and so was the peanut butter. I would love for the traps to work. It's hotter than Hades today so maybe they'll all just freaking melt.
    You should call Rent-A-Cat! Maybe rescue a feral. Need Cat Patrol.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

And great if anyone had pissed you off - a little trip across town to annoying person's place of residence and hey presto! Ratty has a nice new home and you have an evil glow in your cold, black heart.

Hit By Ban Bus!

You should call Rent-A-Cat! Maybe rescue a feral. Need Cat Patrol.
    This would be perfect.
    I lost my Reggie over 5 years ago. He didn't kill anything, actually in his 14 years other than lick his balls I don't remember him ever doing anything but he did keep the wild life at bay - he was so fat I guess they were afraid he was going to eat them. Then the worse happened, the very worse..... I ran over him.... still have horrors about that. Now 5 years later I would like to have a cat again. A orange one I could name Marmalade. But and there's always a but I can't. The male child in my life is highly allergic, I mean puff up throat closing type.
    All that and also cats eat chipmonks

It's hot again and I haven't seen anything except birds. We are normally covered up in hawks, I think they went to Alaska for the summer.

This would be perfect.
    I lost my Reggie over 5 years ago. He didn't kill anything, actually in his 14 years other than lick his balls I don't remember him ever doing anything but he did keep the wild life at bay - he was so fat I guess they were afraid he was going to eat them. Then the worse happened, the very worse..... I ran over him.... still have horrors about that. Now 5 years later I would like to have a cat again. A orange one I could name Marmalade. But and there's always a but I can't. The male child in my life is highly allergic, I mean puff up throat closing type.
    All that and also cats eat chipmonks

It's hot again and I haven't seen anything except birds. We are normally covered up in hawks, I think they went to Alaska for the summer.
    We have beautiful,huge hawks here! Just fabulous! And last night,the fireflies were back!

Hit By Ban Bus!

We have beautiful,huge hawks here! Just fabulous! And last night,the fireflies were back!

My Moms bird died today. He hung himself on one of the toys in the cage. I've had him for 4 years, his mate will have a hard time without him. Cosmo was a cockatiel. Today sucks. I think tomorrow will suck too.

Well I've got to go bury Cosmo.

My Moms bird died today. He hung himself on one of the toys in the cage. I've had him for 4 years, his mate will have a hard time without him. Cosmo was a cockatiel. Today sucks. I think tomorrow will suck too.

Well I've got to go bury Cosmo.
    OMG! That is so sad. I have never heard of that happening-ever. I am so sorry! Poor darling.Yes,it will be sad around there.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I had a cockatiel named Cheeks I had her 22 years, the day my Mom passed so did Cheeks. My Mom had a lot of birds and I got Cosmo and his mate Bumper.

Now that I think about it when Dad died Brooks (another of my Moms cockatiels) got his let caught in a toy and had to be put down.
    It's like a freaking omen. Usually my husband takes care of the pets that pass but he's not here. I burried Cosmo in the back yard and put a huge rock on top of him so nothing could dig him up.

I haven't seen the rat or mice lately. They also bring snakes so maybe they got eaten.

Thread Information