Thread: Orphaned baby bird

Default Orphaned baby bird

My 6yo was outside playing, and found an orphaned baby bird and brought it in. Any idea of what to do to keep the little guy going until he can fly away?
    By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity -- another man's I mean. -Mark Twain

Oh,man! You need some expert help. Is there a wild life reserve around?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I agree with McJag you should definently seek some expert help.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Oh,man! You need some expert help. Is there a wild life reserve around?
    Ha! I found you McJag. No hello nothing. There will be no Rob Marciano for you this summer
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I did a google search for wildlife reserve, and there is one on Bainbridge Island. I just called and left a message, and they check them up to 8pm, so hopefully they will get back to me soon. I have him on a towel in a laundry basket with instructions for the kids not to touch him anymore...I just hope we haven't royally screwed the poor little guy.
    By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity -- another man's I mean. -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    I agree with McJag you should definently seek some expert help.

Ha! I found you McJag. No hello nothing. There will be no Rob Marciano for you this summer
    You! I was missing you right along with Effie! You didn't call. You didn't write. We were just cast off like a leaky rowboat! I devoted some of the best posts of my life,as did others! You have some nerve ,Missy! I am sure I will get over this.
    PS-we have been having really bad storms here-in fact,another one coming in!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Flak View Post
    I did a google search for wildlife reserve, and there is one on Bainbridge Island. I just called and left a message, and they check them up to 8pm, so hopefully they will get back to me soon. I have him on a towel in a laundry basket with instructions for the kids not to touch him anymore...I just hope we haven't royally screwed the poor little guy.
    Is he very young you think?

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    You! I was missing you right along with Effie! You didn't call. You didn't write. We were just cast off like a leaky rowboat! I devoted some of the best posts of my life,as did others! You have some nerve ,Missy! I am sure I will get over this.
    PS-we have been having really bad storms here-in fact,another one coming in!
    Well I am back now
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Is he very young you think?
    Definitely, but he has all his feathers as well as tail feathers. I really wish they would call me back. I'm waiting til 8, and then am going to take the advice of All About Birds : "Orphaned" Baby Birds and put him on the shrub outside and then check on him later. He doesn't seem to be injured, and can grip my finger when he perches, so that may be what the shelter tells me anyway.

I can't figure out which tree the nest he came from is in, or else I would have my monkey child climb up a bit and put him on a branch.

Ha! The little dude scared the shit out of me when he flew up out of his little box and landed on my keyboard!

We stuck him outside on a low branch, and then watched from a distance. Sure enough, momma came around to yell at his ass.

I've told monkey girl that if she sees any wild animal babies to come and get me before doing anything from now on.

Bronze Member

Exclamation

What happened with the baby bird?? There are pages out there that are about that... If you have not found the info yet, let me know so I look them up... I know I saved that info somewhere!

Glad his mother didn't smell you guys on him...or he really would've been orphaned.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

We watched him climb and flap, slowly, back up his tree. I still couldn't see the nest, but could hear the chirping.

I've been reading more, and apparently the smell thing is a myth. Birds have a very poor sense of smell, it seems. I'm just glad everything went ok and he is back home.

Thread Information