Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat diets

Question Cat diets

Hi all...

Does anyone know of any good diet tips for cats? My girl is a bit chubby (had her checked out, vet says she's perfectly healthy, just overweight) and I am looking for fresh ideas on how to help her thin out some. The vet had her on prescription diet food, but that didn't work at all. It was a high fiber food, but she didn't lose any weight from it whatsoever.

She doesn't over eat, 1/4 cup of wet food in the morning and 1/4 cup of dry at night, both weight control, yet she just doesn't seem to lose! I don't want her to lose any years just because she's overweight, ya know? I feel like a bad momma...

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Feed her once a day.

We only fed my cat once a day and she always stayed trim and healthy. Lived till 22.

Cat's generally only have one meal a day or out in the wild. They're built to take in a good chunk all at once and then don't need any for awhile.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

So what time of day do you think? Cuz she wakes up at 5am, BEGGING for breakfast. And then by 5pm, she's giving me the cute face again.

My vet said to feed my cats twice a day. A 1/4 cup at each feeding; so I think there isn't anything wrong with the amount you're feeding your cat.

I have 4 and all are fed the exact same amount, all but one are normal size, and the other is 23 pounds. The vet, nor I, have any idea as to why that is. Other than the weight, he's completely healthy and normal. It's as if he's meant to be that way. I say he's just big boned . But, I can tell you this - at 7am and 7pm, it's that cat that let's you know it's feeding time.

We always fed the cat in the morning.. it always meowed at night for food, we gave it a treat or 2 to shut it up and that was it.

Don't let your cat train you.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Some people are always going to be padded no matter how careful they are with their diet, others are always going to be slender no matter how much they eat. All people are different, and cats are the same.

I have five cats who are right across the scale as far as their weight goes. One is very willowy and just won't gain weight no matter how hard I try. I have even taken her to the vet to see if there was anything wrong with her, but after lots of tests, lots of and lots of worry they decided she was healthy and just naturally slender. One of the others, however, is a real plump little bugger. You really have to haul her when you pick her up for cuddles, and yet out of all of them she is the one who actually eats the least.

It sounds to me as your cat is fine and not overfed by any means. The only way that I could see her not losing weight is if she has done the sneaky cat trick and found a second home down the street where she is getting fed a second time by some well meaning neighbour, but if she is an indoors cat then I'll say its just the way she is built, especially if special diet catfood made no difference.

Just because a chart says that your furbaby is plump doesn't mean you are doing anything wrong - charts are pieces of paper to represent an ideal - your cat is an individual who doesn't give a toss about what the chart says she should be. If you are still worried encourage her to play more (if she doesn't already) as a little extra exercise won't hurt any size cat.

I adopted a morbidly obese cat from the SPCA almost exactly a year ago. Both the SPCA and her vet have given me very specific diet instructions for her:

Purina One Weight Control hard food. 1/4 cup, twice a day. That's IT.

She goes to the vet again on June 1st, so we'll see if she lost any weight, but I highly doubt it. She is HUGE. 23 lbs. My 2 yr old doesn't even weigh that. But she's my Sweetie (that's her name too) and just a love. So, fat or not, we love her!

Good luck!

Thanks guys. I think she just may be destined to be a chubba wubba. She's SO CUTE and just really the perfect little girl, but I really would never forgive myself if there was something I was doing to hurt her, ya know?

Grimm, maybe I'll try to do the treat thing sometime. I never really thought about that.

Here's a pic of my baby, holding onto the phone. Yes, that's ME on the other end, meowing at her. She meows back to me.

And another, cuz she's cute:

Last one, her Christmas picture. She LOVES being under the tree:

your cat is a red X

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    your cat is a red X
    Seriously?? I can see them?

Dammit...I thought I did it right, sorry Grimmy. I'm having a hard time uploading them here @ the office. I'll hafta try later.

I can't see them either!

Some kitties are just 'big'. And doesn't really matter what you do w/them...yours might be one of em Cherry! She sounds like a sweetheart!

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by CherryDarling View Post

Here's a pic of my baby, holding onto the phone. Yes, that's ME on the other end, meowing at her. She meows back to me.

I can't wait to see the pictures Cherry!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one who talks to the cats down the phone...

Here's another person who wants to see her pictures!

I wanna see!

i feed my cat all natural cat food. Blue Holistic. Twice a day 1/4 cup at each feeding.

She's not really active so that's what the vet recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Feed her once a day.

We only fed my cat once a day and she always stayed trim and healthy. Lived till 22.

Cat's generally only have one meal a day or out in the wild. They're built to take in a good chunk all at once and then don't need any for awhile.
    actually, cats eat anywhere between 5 -20 small meals per day in the wild (mice, birds) you're thinking of large cats like lions or tigers and the like that eat one large meal at a time.

the weight reducing foods are just filled with fiber (fillers) which the cat cannot process b/c they are carnivores, so they just eat, feel full, then poop it out.

Get her exercising... encourage her to "hunt" a little around the house, get her toys or whatever will get her interested in running around like a nutbar. My crazy cats love those feathers on a stick, and fly all over the place trying to catch them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information