Thread: Duckling rescues

Default Duckling rescues

Who says a banker's life isn't exciting?
    Story Published: May 18, 2009 at 6:50 PM PDT
    Story Updated: May 18, 2009 at 7:15 PM PDT
    By Neal Karlinsky, ABC News & KOMO Staff
    Watch the story

SPOKANE, Wash. -- It might look ordinary enough: A mother duck nesting on a ledge in downtown Spokane and a banker watching from his second floor window.

But when the ducks hatched and the mother needed to get her ducklings to fresh water, a big problem became obvious.

The dozen day-old ducks couldn't follow. They were stuck on the ledge about 15 to 20 feet up, nervously pacing back and forth.
    Enter Joel Armstrong who works at the bank. He was down on the sidewalk to help when suddenly, the first two ducks dropped like stones -- right into Armstrong's hands.

A center fielder couldn't have done better.

"C'mon, C'mon. Go with your mommy, there you go," he chided.
    He kept up the chatter with mom, who was waiting at his ankles as a crowd started to build.

One at a time, with a steady hand and keen eye, this mild-mannered loan officer talked an entire family of baby ducks off a ledge.

"I think Joel's legacy is playing out right here - the duck man," said a bystander. "He's the duck man for life."

"Well, we've got eight of 12 that have jumped off finally today," Armstrong said. "I've been out here since 5:45 a.m."

At least Armstrong has some experience. Several ducklings were stuck up on that ledge last May as well. He rescued all but one.

But this year had an added challenge. A city-wide parade was scheduled to pass by in just a few hours. Crowds started to build, but once he got the last three down by ladder, the drama wasn't over.

Together, the banker and the mother duck led the babies to water, straight down the middle of a downtown parade route.

Get out of the way please!

He directed the ducks through the streets, around crowd barriers, and finally home to the river.

"Oh, we did it, man. That was an ordeal," Armstrong said. "I cant believe we did it. Wow, we did it!"

Who says a banker's life isn't exciting?

Close Forgot password?

Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message

Show CommentsSource

Can't get enough duckling rescue stories? MORE!

Duck rescue attracts crowd to downtown Park Rapids |* Park Rapids Enterprise *| Park Rapids, Minnesota
    Duckling rescue successful in San Ramon - Inside Bay Area
    http://www.contracostatimes.com/animals/ci_12405776
    Firefighters rescue baby ducks - wtop.com
    Firefighters rescue ducklings from sewer | sheboyganpress.com | Sheboygan Press
    rescue+ducklings+from+sewer
    Topsfield firefighters rescue ducklings from Route 1 drain - Norwood, MA - The Daily News Transcript
    etc etc

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

aw what a nice story!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

This was so neat-those ducklings could not have made it without his help.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I remember hearing about these ducklings from last year...Same exact spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

I received an email with the same pics and stuff ... only the location was different.
    Subject: A True Duck Story

A True Duck Story from San Antonio , Texas
    Something incredible happened in downtown San Antonio this week. Michael R. is an accounting clerk at
    Frost Bank and works there in a second story office. Several weeks ago, he watched a mother duck choose
    the concrete awning outside his window as the unlikely place to build a nest above the sidewalk. The mallard
    laid ten eggs in a nest in the corner of the planter that is perched over 10 feet in the air. She dutifully kept the
    eggs warm for weeks, and Monday afternoon all of her ten ducklings hatched.

Michael worried all night how the momma duck was going to get those babies safely off their perch in a busy,
    downtown, urban environment to take to water, which typically happens in the first 48 hours of a duck hatching.
    Tuesday morning, Michael watched the mother duck encourage her babies to the edge of the perch with the
    intent to show them how to jump off. Office work came to a standstill as everyone gathered to watch.

The mother flew down below and started quacking to her babies above. In disbelief Michael watched as the first
    fuzzy newborn trustingly toddled to the edge and astonishingly leapt into thin air, crashing onto the cement below.
    Michael couldn't stand to watch this risky effort nine more times! He dashed out of his office and ran down the
    stairs to the sidewalk where the first obedient duckling, near its mother, was resting in a stupor after the near-fatal
    fall. Michael stood out of sight under the awning-planter, ready to help.

As the second one took the plunge, Michael jumped forward and caught it with his bare hands before it hit the
    concrete. Safe and sound, he set it down it by its momma and the other stunned sibling, still recovering from that
    painful leap. (The momma must have sensed that Michael was trying to help her babies.)

One by one the babies continued to jump. Each time Michael hid under the awning just to reach out in the nick of
    time as the duckling made its free fall. At the scene the busy downtown sidewalk traffic came to a standstill.
    Time after time, Michael was able to catch the remaining eight and set them by their approving mother.

At this point Michael realized the duck family had only made part of its dangerous journey. They had two full
    blocks to walk across traffic, crosswalks, curbs and past pedestrians to get to the closest open water,
    the San Antonio River , site of the famed "River Walk." The onlooking office secretaries and several
    San Antonio police officers joined in. An empty copy-paper box was brought to collect the babies.
    They carefully corralled them, with the mother's approval, and loaded them in the container. Michael held the
    box low enough for the mom to see her brood. He then slowly navigated through the downtown streets toward
    the San Antonio River. The mother waddled behind and kept her babies in sight, all the way.

As they reached the river, the mother took over and passed him, jumping in the river and quacking loudly.
    At the water's edge, Michael tipped the box and helped shepherd the babies toward the water and to the
    waiting mother after their adventurous ride.

All ten darling ducklings safely made it into the water and paddled up snugly to momma. Michael said the mom
    swam in circles, looking back toward the beaming bank bookkeeper, and proudly quacking.

At last, all present and accounted for: "We're all together again. We're here! We're here!"

And here's a family portrait before they head outward to further adventures...

Like all of us at times, they never could have made it alone without lots of helping hands.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

We had tons of ducks where I grew up. On several occasions, my mom and I were called to rescue ducklings that had fallen down a storm drain. The momma duck was always around, waiting for someone to help. All were rescued and sent on their way.

Ducks are pretty stupid birds.

A government big enough to give you everything you want,
    is strong enough to take everything you have. ~Thomas Jefferson

Thread Information