Thread: Barking Dog(s)

Default Barking Dog(s)

Does anyone have any tips on how to train a dog not to bark. Sammy has begun barking at everything. I was told to spray water at him everytime he does this and someone else said to say SSSSHHHHH really loud. Im not sure what to do and I dont want to keep telling him "stop barking" like I dont think he understands. Or maybe he does.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Default Re: Barking Dog(s)

My Elmo barks if he hears strange noises in the hallway outside etc. I just go over to him and kind of console him. I think he's barking out of fear so rather than to discipline him, I just tell him that it's ok and there's nothing to worry about.

Elmo hates other dogs so he barks at them, too when we are going for a walk and encounter one. He gets all pissed off and aggressive. I stop him and tell him a firm "No/No barking!" I sound so mean doing this outside in front of strangers so I really don't like doing it. It's embarrasing. Other times if the other dog is a lot bigger and not so friendly-looking, I lift my dog up and leave to avoid confrontation and retaliation. My dog really aggrevates some dogs and I don't want him to get bitten (though he caused the aggression in the other dog) so I just try to avoid the situation and leave.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Silver Member

Try taking an empty soda can, put 3 coins in it.

When sammy barks inappropriatley
    Drop the can or shake it without him seeing. He will associate the noise with barking.

Good luck! We have 3 dogs and 2 are habitual barkers! Some dogs just instinctually bark unless you beat the crap out of them lol which we would never do! The cruelest thing we did was try the bark collar. It obviously REALLY hurt and that was enough trainng for us to never use them again!

Im going to order a CD from The Dog Whisper, Cesaer Milian. He is on the National Geographic Channel on Friday nights. I have been able to "train" Sammy to walk beside me when I need him to like when we are crossing the street or walking on the sidewalk and someone else is walking on it too and we/or they are going to pass. And its from watching The Dog Whisper. I do feel torn about the barking thing since it is natural for dogs to bark.

A*O

The problem is that sometimes you actually want your dog to bark, especially if it's to alert you that someone is at the door or whatever. It also lets the person outside know that you have protective dogs which can be handy when the Jehovah's Witnesses call.

Basically you have to come up with a word or gesture that means NO and you have to use it consistently and actually mean it. A half-assed "stop it fluffy you are being too noisy darling" won't work. YOU are the top dog (bitch) and YOU have to let them know it. Very clearly and very firmly. I either say a loud don't-fuck-with-me "NO!" and point a finger (the finger alone usually works these days) or make a loud growling Grrrrrrrrrrr sound myself. It usually shuts them up. But you have to start this when they are very young. It's much harder to break these kind of habits with older dogs - remember the old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks?". Either way, you must do it EVERY TIME they bark, not when you remember to, or when they are being particularly noisy. Like children, they need consistency. Who said owning dogs was easy anyway
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

He just turned a year last month and he didnt bark like this before. It has just started actually in the past two-three weeks. I do understand what you are saying. Does get old when Im spending a good 15 minutes continously telling him in a very firm NO. He does this barking when a couple of older men are walking in the early morning and the kids in the neighborhood are catching the bus for school and then when they come home. I know I have to be consistent.

A*O

If he's only a year old he's still growing up and 'into' adult dog behaviour so this is a great time to be really strict on the training thing. I don't think you can ever stop dogs barking in the first place (and you probably wouldn't want to) but it's good if you can make them obey a command/signal to stop. Good luck!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O
    The problem is that sometimes you actually want your dog to bark, especially if it's to alert you that someone is at the door or whatever. It also lets the person outside know that you have protective dogs which can be handy when the Jehovah's Witnesses call.
    Thats exactly the problem we have with Chesney, we like the fact that he barks when someone tries to get in the house but he barks at almost every little noise. He even barks when its dark outside and he can see our reflections inside the house in the patio doors, he thinks its someone stood outside!!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Ugh..... I have the same problem with my Labrador Retreiver. I finally figured out, he suffers from separation anxiety. When I am home (which is most of the time since I'm a stay at home parent to a 2 yr old) I generally have the dogs in the house, but occasionally when I need more space or want to clean the floors, have a playdate, etc- I need to put them outside. He just looks at me and BARKS his head off. Its a horrible sounding bark too. I love him, but it is putting me completely over the edge. Any suggestions would be great! He generally does not bark outside when he knows I am not home.
    I do not know how I ended up with 3 dogs.....but I love them all and will work with whatever quirks they have!

Ugh..... I have the same problem with my Labrador Retreiver. I finally figured out, he suffers from separation anxiety. When I am home (which is most of the time since I'm a stay at home parent to a 2 yr old) I generally have the dogs in the house, but occasionally when I need more space or want to clean the floors, have a playdate, etc- I need to put them outside. He just looks at me and BARKS his head off. Its a horrible sounding bark too. I love him, but it is putting me completely over the edge. Any suggestions would be great! He generally does not bark outside when he knows I am not home.
    I do not know how I ended up with 3 dogs.....but I love them all and will work with whatever quirks they have!

Thread Information