It was a case of dog-eat-dog when spaniel Alfie swallowed a toy puppy.
Owners Joanne Dutton and daughter Madeline, seven, were amazed when the vet's X-ray revealed the cause of the dog's illness.
Joanne, from Wilmslow, Cheshire, said: 'He was refusing to eat or drink and then became very ill.
'He just looked so sad, which is not like him, so we took him to the vet.
Dog eats dog: An X-ray of spaniel Alfie's stomach after he ate a toy puppy
Madeline Dutton, 7, with spaniel Alfie and vet Mark Allington
'He felt his tummy and immediately discovered something there - and it turned out to be Madeline's toy puppy.
'He'd sneaked into her bedroom and swiped it from the dolls' house.'
Vet Mark Allington said: 'We took an X-ray of Alfie and it was fairly obvious what he had swallowed and it was removed after a couple of hours' surgery.'
Joanne said: 'Alfie is back to normal again now - running around like a lunatic.'
Spaniel Alfie proves it's a dog-eat-dog world as he gobbles up a toy puppy | Mail Online