Thread: Need help choosing a gender (dog related)

Default Need help choosing a gender (dog related)

My friend's pomeranian has just had puppies and I'm going to get one. I've got a 4 year old (not sure how the dog years thing works) male kelpie x german sheperd (he's only knee high - the german sheperd part of him is in his face and colouring, but not size.) and I'm not sure to get a boy or a girl. My friend said girl for obvious reasons- the whole he'll have a girlfriend thing (but maybe I have a gay dog? haha. He gets on REALLY well with my neighbors boy ) which makes me think he might be fine with a male. I want a male because I've heard that females can be temperamental and they get their period, and I don't want to deal with that - since she'll be living inside and my male pretty much owns the place - sits on the couch, etc. He's not allowed on my bed, that's the only exception. So she'll be following him and leaving blood on the furniture, so that puts me off.

Another friend with a male and female dog said the male is very protective of the female. She is HIS woman, and he makes it clear! He won't even let the female get any attention from humans. He growls and gets aggressive. I'm worried that'll happen with my dog too. Then the flip side is, males can be aggressive and territorial. Ideally, my dog now would be 'boss' and treated with respect by the new puppy Thats what I hope happens. And my dog now will take on that role in a fair way . I'm just worried that someone will get their nose out of joint.

I'd appreciate any advice, and experiences.

A*O

I have two males, both desexed. One is the 'boss', coincidentally he's the older one by a couple of months, but I don't think age (or size) always applies to dominance. It depends on the personalities of the dogs. They do operate as a "pack" even with only two of them! If your german shepherd is a confident dog then he will probably want to be boss which is fine provided the new puppy is happy to take a more passive role. If the puppy wants to be boss too they will have to duke it out and you have to let them do so, provided it doesn't descend into a bloodbath! Females aren't necessarily the passive ones either. I know a tiny frou frou shitz bitch who totally dominates the other two, larger dogs in the household.

I know it doesn't apply to you but having two female dogs is usually asking for trouble.

Good luck.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Get a girl. Name her Pam.

Oh wait, that's me.

Good luck either way!

I have a dog lab and a bitch lab and they love each other, but not in a sexy way, both have been "done" and they get on fine. I'm so excited for you

I find Fred is much soppier than Bella, he love cuddles and affection. Maybe boys are bigger babies?

In the first place,either sex should be spayed or neutered as soon as the vet says-there goes the heat problem. Either one-I have both-make great doggies. Of couse,mine were neutered/spayed right away,so I have never had a problem. Both snuggle. The male is more protective. Can't go wrong-but they must be fixed.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I'd say as long as you get both neutered, you should be fine.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Thanks for the great advice, girls. I was told that they still get a period even when they're fixed. I'm so stupid I believed it Now I realize it doesn't make any sense. In that case, I can get a girl, and have her fixed. (My boy already is fixed.) Problem solved!

I'm going to get him a woman.

Good for you!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Any names? Maybe Dita or Bettie?

You're right, A*O, two females are a horrible combo.

Good luck on the pup, Dita.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Honey
    Any names? Maybe Dita or Bettie?
    I haven't got a name yet. Any suggestions??? Dita and Bettie would make my friends roll their eyes, so I'll forget about those haha.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    two females are a horrible combo.
    Not necessarily. I've had two females who were fantastic together. We got the younger as a puppy and the older one just loved her. Surrogate baby! Perhaps it depends on the individual bitch and her temperament?

Good luck on your new puppy Dita! Post adorable pics!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    You're right, A*O, two females are a horrible combo.
    Are they really?? I had no idea. I'm thinking of getting a 2nd dog too and I was going to get another female.

I guess it's more from personal experience. We adopted a pup from the shelter when Josie was two. She followed Josie every where. But, they both decided to be the Alpha bitch and they fought to the point where they couldn't be in the same room together. Good thing my ex and I broke up shortly after that. He ended up wanted to dump the dog and she now lives with my aunt. The dog trainer told us that IF there are going to be problems, it will be girl/girl combo, followed by boy/boy.

Of course, I have had friends with two girls and their great.

Thread Information