Thread: 14 horses die just before polo match

Default 14 horses die just before polo match

(CNN) -- Fourteen thoroughbred horses dropped dead in a mysterious scene Sunday before a polo match near West Palm Beach, Florida, officials said.
    Teams are trying to figure out what happened at the International Polo Club Palm Beach in Florida.

State and local veterinary teams are trying to figure out what happened at the International Polo Club Palm Beach in Wellington, Florida, as team Lechuza Caracas prepared to compete in a U.S. Open match.
    Two horses initially collapsed, and as vets and team officials scrambled to revive them, five others became dizzy, said Tim O'Connor, spokesman for the polo club.
    "A total of seven died on our property," O'Connor told CNN. Seven other horses died en route to a Wellington horse farm and a veterinary hospital.
    The cause of the deaths has not been determined, and necropsies and blood tests were underway, he said.
    O'Connor said each team brings between 40 to 60 horses for matches, and they are continuously switched out throughout a match to keep the horses from overexerting themselves.
    A meeting will be held to determine whether Lechuza Caracas will compete at a later date, he said.
    "Everybody is kind of in shock and trying to figure out what happened," he said. "Nobody can recall an incident in which this many horses have died at once."

Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

That's scary! It's either someone did this or they were the unlucky
    one to get infected with some sort of bacteria...
    I feel for their trainers.

It seems a bit suspicious, doesn't it? If it was bacteria, would they all die around the same time? Scary.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Elite Member

Iv'e been involved with horses all my life and I've never heard of anything remotely like this.

Now 21 horses dead. This is just plain scary.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Sounds like they were poisoned.

^ That's the first thing I thought, possibly from a rival team. That's really messed up if it's the case...
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Now 21 horses dead. This is just plain scary.
    Wow, that's crazy!! Sounds like it was intentional. I used to work as a show groom many years ago and slept in an adjoining stall to our show horses just to make sure nobody messed with them.
    I'm not quite drunk enough to really care, but is this her violation of her violation of her violation of her violation of probation or her violation of her violation of her violation of her probation????? ~MontanaMama on LL's latest arrest.

Something they all ate or drank, obviously.... how sad. I hope it wasn't intentional.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

All from one team? I hope to god someone isn't sick enough to have done this deliberately...

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    All from one team? I hope to god someone isn't sick enough to have done this deliberately...
    Sounds like some horrible accident. I'll bet there are some distraught people over this. Even the ones with well horses will be shaking.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information