Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dog had a seizure - advice welcome

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

Default My dog had a seizure - advice welcome

To make a long story short, my sweet little doggy has had 2 seizures in the past 3 weeks, and he had one of them this morning. About 3 weeks ago, he was pulling his blanky into the laundry room (he loves to do that for some reason so I leave the door open for him), and all of a sudden I heard a strange thump so I ran in there to check on him. I found him seizing on the floor, and I became frantic because he's my baby. He seized for about a minute, and it was less than 5 minutes afterward when he returned to his normal, playful self, as if nothing had happened. I honestly thought that he hit his head so I cuddled him and have watched him very closely, just in case. I feel like a horrible person now, but at the time I honestly thought it was just a one time freak occurrence because he's about 2 years old and has never had problems in the past. I keep him updated on all of his shots and vet visits, he goes to the groomers regularly, and he's basically treated like a baby, going with me wherever I go if it's feasible.

This morning, he was acting completely normal, and had just taken a drink of water (I was standing right near him in the kitchen), when all of a sudden he walked maybe 4 steps and literally dropped on the floor and started seizing again. My hands are literally shaking as I type this, because I'm filled with worry for him, plus I don't want him to suffer at all. He seized for about a minute, was shaky for a couple of minutes after that, then he literally started jumping around like nothing had happened at all, and he wanted to play. I took that as a good sign, but I'm still petrified. I called the vet's office, and told them all of this. I assured them that he hadn't gotten into anything that could harm them, and I think he might be epileptic. I assumed they would take this as seriously as I do and want to see him today, but they're not treating this like an emergency. WTF??!! This is my dog we're talking about, and I really want him to be seen by a vet today, and get whatever tests done that he needs so I can help him. Am I overreacting, or should I just call another vet and see if I can take him in today? Like I said, I think this is a major issue that needs to be addressed asap. Maybe I'm just a worry wort, but it is my responsibility to take care of him, and I don't want him to suffer anymore than he has to. Any suggestions? Thanks so much, everyone.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

You are not a worry wart. How old is he? His regular vet first,I should think.
    The first time my dog had one (years ago-dog long gone) my Mother was the only one who saw it & I really thought she was mistaken. She wasn't-but he was 13 years old.

OH-2 years. This could be totally different than mine.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

He's a little under 2, and his regular vet is who I called. I'm just wondering if I should forego his regular vet and try to have another vet see him today, or if I should just take the appt. his vet gave me and calm down about it. I just don't want him to have another seizure while I'm waiting for everything to come to light and put him on whatever meds he might need.

My 3 year old dog has had 2 seizures in the past - the most recent just a few months ago. It scared me shitless. The vet made it sound like it was no big deal and said some particular breeds of dogs are just more prone to seizures. Unless they last a very long time (which can overheat their bodies and damage their brain) or they are very frequent, I was told medication was probably not necessary. I was told to take mine into a dark room with no stimulus for a few minutes and keep him cool.

With yours having the two seizures so close together, it's possible he might need meds, but try not to worry yourself sick like I did. Take him to an emergency vet hospital if it'll make you feel better. Chances are very, very, very likely that it's nothing serious at all. Some dogs just have seizures for whatever reason and they just look (A LOT) scarier than they really are.

Good luck, I hope he's okay.
    I would probably stick with his regular vet, since they know his history.
    I am sure they would have told you to bring him on in if they thought it was really serious. I bet they are used to seeing this sort of thing, so it's not as big a deal to them.

I feel for you. Let us know what happens.

Also, maybe you could call back and ask them to call you if they have a cancellation, that way you may be able to get in earlier than scheduled.

Oh darlin', I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. If you are worried and your gut tells you something bad is going on, just go on into the emergency vet. It may be more expensive, but well worth your piece of mind. Perhaps give your vet another call and let them know that you need to be seen immediately, if not you'll be going to the emergency vet. Make sure they check for canine diabetes. My sweet old dog (she the one pictured in the bunny ears) is diabetic and it can be serious if she has a seizure because it means her insulin levels are off.
    ...of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

My 13 year old border collie has had seizures for years. I also freaked out the first few times she had them, but they were short-lived like your dog's. Basically I just get on the floor with her, pet her and keep saying her name until she comes out of it. She's usually a little shaky on her legs afterward but doesn't seem to suffer any real harm from it. I think it's a lot scarier for the human, actually.

I agree it's not really a medical emergency unless the dog is having very frequent seizures. Definitely get him to the vet to be checked of course, but it may just be one of those things you have to live with. I never put my dog on medication because my vet didn't recommend it for such infrequent seizures. Once you put them on meds, you have to administer them daily for the rest of their lives.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Thank you everyone, you made me feel so much better about the whole situation. I'm going to wait until he has his appt. I made with the vet, rather than take him to an emergency clinic. If he has another seizure in the next day, then I'll take him, but now that I've calmed down I can actually think rationally.
    I'm sorry some of you have epileptic doggies, it's so scary! But at least I'm not alone. I'd rather not give him medication if he is epileptic but only has seizures every few weeks, because I don't know how it would effect his little organs and stuff. I'll talk to his vet about that (ask him 300 questions is more like it ), and I'll definitely let you know what happens. You guys made me feel so much better!

BTW, he's still acting fine, playing and walking around like he owns the place. I'm the one who is worried.

If I was up your ass you'd know where I am!

I'm sorry....it is really scary to see a dog have a seizure. Hope he gets the right medicine.
    Only the good die young.........................
    bitches like me live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!

Remember-if you are calm he won't know anything is wrong-so deep breathe!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

My SIL's dog (a Shelty) has had seizures from the get go. He is now 10. He has been on medication since he was a year old or so for them. He will still have them occasionally, maybe 2-3 times a year, but nothing like he used to.

He is fine otherwise---no issues. He's actually lived a lot longer than we all thought (came from a bad puppy mill, inbreeding, etc).

Good luck--hope he's ok!

^Oh no. Poor little guy, I'm glad he's enjoying a long life.

McJag, you're totally right. I've been trying to be normal around him, because he's too smart for his own good. He picks up on it whenever something isn't right and starts acting funny. It's hard to explain, but he just knows when I'm upset. He's napping with his favorite blanky and enjoyed some "cookies" not long ago (that's what I call his treats). He's so cute about them too- whenever I say, "Cookie!" He runs to me and sits at my feet, with the cutest grin on his face. Let me see if I can find a pic of him.

My cat had a seizure a few weeks back...the vet acted the same way. No biggie.

My friend has a Lab that has epilepsy, she takes medicine everyday and she's great.

Any news, sparkly?

Oh no, sorry. I'm waiting for his vet appt., but I'll definitely keep all of you updated. Thank you so much for the support.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information