Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painted Babies: stories from a former child pageant queen

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe View Post
    Actually it was Madison's choice to do the pageant. If you really watched the show, you would know that she had won a title there the previous year and was trying again. With that logic, if you put your child in a sport, and they are "totally out of their league" with the other players you should not encourage them to continue playing.
    I did watch the show, and Madison's parents are doing this girl a huge disservice by allowing her to do pageants.

As far as Madison "winning" a title, I thought it said that happened because she was the only one competing in her age group. But maybe I was mistaken.

Whether Madison "wanted" to do the pageant or her mom signed her up is irrelevant. The mom was encouraging her to do it, and I feel that is a mistake. Madison does not have what it takes to be successful in pageants. Put her in an activity she has a chance to excel at... not one in which she will be a perpetual loser striving to achieve goals that, for her, are unattainable.

Pageants only help your self esteem if you're winning them. When you're constantly the obvious "bottom of the barrel" contestant, you're not getting that confidence and praise. You're feeling shame and dissatisfaction with yourself.

She doesn't have the looks, the personality, or the talent to be a beauty queen. Unless she's profoundly stupid, she has to be aware that she's not in the same league as the other girls. And, judging by how uncomfortable she looked, I think she WAS aware of it. She probably just feels pressured to do pageants because she knows her mom is hell bent on living vicariously through her.

*giggles at 'profoundly stupid'.. good turn of phrase..*

Pageants only help your self esteem if you're winning them. When you're constantly the obvious "bottom of the barrel" contestant, you're not getting that confidence and praise. You're feeling shame and dissatisfaction with yourself.
    I call into question the confidence and praise any kid receives based upon how they look. It seems like shallow praise that isn't worth a damn.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information