Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pageantmoms: Qualities of a manatee!

A*O

How the hell can a 9mth old baby have "lots of personality"? At that age they just kinda sit there looking cute (or not).

I am glad that you (almost) get it about pageants and how fucking ridiculous they are, but Grimm is right, by participating in any way you are just perpetuating the crazy.

And I'm sorry but if my 6yr old daughter wanted to dress up and look pretty I'd point her towards the dressup box and maybe some old makeup. I would NOT trick her out in fake hair, nails, teeth, expensive 'gowns' and haul her around the country to tacky hotels to shake her booty for a bunch of psycho pageant parents to bitch about and some creepy judges to perv over. Your daughter didn't sign up for that - YOU did.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I have the cutest pictures of my daughter playing dress up. She did it every single day, whether she had friends over or not, and whether my camera was out or not. She did it while she played with her toys and spent her day, and she did it because she loved it, and not because she had an adoring mob clapping and telling her how awesome she was. No trophies, no stress, no entry fees.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    How the hell can a 9mth old baby have "lots of personality"? At that age they just kinda sit there looking cute (or not).

I am glad that you (almost) get it about pageants and how fucking ridiculous they are, but Grimm is right, by participating in any way you are just perpetuating the crazy.

And I'm sorry but if my 6yr old daughter wanted to dress up and look pretty I'd point her towards the dressup box and maybe some old makeup. I would NOT trick her out in fake hair, nails, teeth, expensive 'gowns' and haul her around the country to tacky hotels to shake her booty for a bunch of psycho pageant parents to bitch about and some creepy judges to perv over. Your daughter didn't sign up for that - YOU did.
    Okay, the baby with personality was smiling and giggling on stage, and being a cute baby. THAT is what I mean about personality. She seemed like she was happy, versus crying up there.

AND to set the record straight, I NEVER put fake teeth, bleached her hair, or put her in hoochy outfits. I did buy a hairpiece, simply because it saved wear & tear on her own hair. She never went on stage in a bikini and shook her ass all over. We used a white paint pen from the craft store to give the illusion of nail tips. Anyone who spends all that money taking their kid to get professional acrylic nails should be shot. She has naturally olive skin because her father is Italian and Armenian, I had her tanned once, and swore we'd never do it again. She enjoyed going to the hotels, they were like mini vacations, and we had a great mom/daughter relationship. Oh, and the reason she asked about it, she specifically wanted PAGEANTS because I had competed. So please don't judge me until you know the whole story. I know after seeing Toddlers & Tiaras, you probably assumed I was like them, but we were low key.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    I'd stop enabling it.
    agreed.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I think we all know (or should by now, as much as this has been discussed) that there are natural pageants & glitz pageants and everything in between. Still, with or without the glitz crap, the concept of pageantry remains the same. Girls (mostly) on a stage being judged on... what? Beauty, clothing, "modeling" skill (lol), and sometimes a talent. I can understand how the weekends in a hotel with mom & a bunch of other little girls could be fun for a child, but I can't get past the basic premise of it all. It's just all "look at me & admire me while I strike a pose" which I think is not a good thing to reinforce in a girl.

Not saying you're like this card, but when somebody says what I just said, a lot of pageant moms resort to the old "your dd must be ugly" and "you're so jealous, it's so sad" garbage. The whole industry is filled with ridiculous people doing ridiculous things.

Agreed Lobelia, I understand where you are coming from. There are nutcakes for sure. The last time my daughter competed she was 14, I did her hair and makeup myself and she won. I have done her hair and makeup about 99% of the time. These people are IDIOTS paying hundreds of dollars for h&m. I completely understand there are ridiculous people doing ridiculous things.

I AM in the process of writing a book, about mine and my daughter's ENTIRE experience with the pageant industry. That is one reason why I chose to judge. I really wanted to see if the crazies were really still out there this far North (I'm in Chicago).

I would NEVER judge any parent that chooses not to do them, saying their daughter must be ugly. that is just mean. I guess I am one of the few that have kept a level head during the whole process and kept things in perspective. It is really sad watching T&T, some crap on there is downright abusive, those parents should have their kids removed from their custody.

Isn't participating on all that garbage, again, just enabling it? It doesn't teach anything worthwhile, in fact it's bad for self esteem.

Take your kid on an enriching vacation instead. Go climb some ruins.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

Little Miss Sunshine is one of my favorite movies. And you know, it's not really about pageants per se...It's about how we all put ourselves out there for validation from others. It's like an addiction...the right school, the right job, the right material stuff. Really, who gives a shit?

Instead of pageants, how about Destination Imagination or something that will teach your kid to be creative, think critically, and be self-reliant?

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    Little Miss Sunshine is one of my favorite movies. And you know, it's not really about pageants per se...It's about how we all put ourselves out there for validation from others. It's like an addiction...the right school, the right job, the right material stuff. Really, who gives a shit?

Instead of pageants, how about Destination Imagination or something that will teach your kid to be creative, think critically, and be self-reliant?
    I LOVE that movie. You wanna know something....the kid that does all the tricks on stage in the pageant scene, we actually competed with them, that girl is Lauren Yee, she is a year younger than my kid. But you are right, it actually is a movie about validation. I really like Alan Arkin's character....too funny.

I will say that the ones my daughter did had interviews included in them. They really helped her with public speaking. She is an honor student, and went to Washington DC for the National Young Leader Conference, so we aren't addicts. I take her plenty of places. She doesn't care to compete anymore, but wanted to try judging. She didn't really care for it so we most likely won't judge anymore unless she brings it up. I think the reason she wanted to go...more than anything....was it was about an hour drive from our house. My own Little Miss Sunshine just got her driving permit a couple months ago and desperately wanted to drive there. I didn't let her, but those drama mammas gave me such a fucking headache she drove all the way home, including thru downtown Chicago, loving every minute

I do understand where you all are coming from. When we started them it was late 2002 early 2003, and competed thru the summer of 2009, by then she was out of the kiddie glitz. Back when she was a smaller child, it wasn't quite as extravagant as it is now. Tanning and fake teeth were new on scene. Like I said we only tanned once, never again. NEVER did fake teeth, I COULD NOT JUSTIFY telling my daughter she wasn't pretty with her adoreable missing teeth. It's part of growing up. Bullshit. She didn't Grand Supreme, who gives a shit. We had fun and stuck by what I believed. I have no problem with your feedback, as long as you understand where I'm coming from. She has turned into a great young lady. Has no interest in competing, at this point she's in the age divisions for teen USA. We aren't going that route.

The gossip among pageant moms was that Lauren Yee was dumb as a box of hammers because her mom took her out of school every single week to fly her to some pageant & she was education-deprived. No idea if the child was/is academically/intellectually deficient, but any mother who repeatedly pulls their child from school for pageants has some fucked up priorities. I know the woman was (is?) a vendor & did costume designs, etc. so all that nonsense was profitable to her.

Lauren's childhood was stolen from her, IMO. I would love to hear what she has to say about it all when she's about 30 years old and has some perspective.

Lobelia, you have some knowledge, I'm impressed!

Yes that is true. I believe Lauren is home-schooled now, well maybe not anymore. She WAS on the Disney Channel for awhile on the Really Short Report as Summer Summers. She actually was a nice kid, she was never snotty to me or my daughter, but yeah, Teresea Yee is a HUGE vendor, she makes dresses, and does hair & makeup. I don't know how much Lauren competes anymore, but her mom is away at pageants every weekend doing h&m.

I wonder what Lauren thinks also. She has a sister that looks almost identical to her, but didn't have the interest in pageants. I never knew she existed, except Teresea is my friend on Facebook, and I saw the pic. Sad........

Ha, don't be impressed, I just went through a brief period of interest in the subject & Lauren was the biggest name at that time. It was impossible to read anything about pageants & not know who she was. Several of us here at GR checked out those pageant boards on voy & GR is like a love-in compared to those kill-or-be-killed jungles.

A*O

It's irrelevant whether these kids are tricked out like whores or going for the 'natural' look. In all cases they are putting themselves out there, correction, the parents put their kids out there to be judged purely on their appearance and maybe a random "talent" or "personality". It's the whole pageant philosophy that's warped, not how it's actually done.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Look! flippers for adults!

What is Snap-On Smile?
    Snap-On Smile is a patented, easy and painless way to obtain a beautiful smile. It was invented by a dentist who realized that not everyone can afford thousands of dollars to get a Hollywood smile make-over. After years of extensive research and development, your dentist can now provide you with a Snap-On Smile that is thin and strong with the look of natural teeth. You can eat and drink with your Snap-On Smile. Itís easy to care for and can be a temporary or permanent cosmetic solution. Itís available for upper and lower teeth.

Snap-On Smileís unique, proprietary formula of hi-tech dental resin make it very thin yet extremely strong. It fi ts right over your own teeth to give you a beautiful, natural looking smileóeven if you have stains, chips, gaps or missing teeth.

And for many people, Snap-On Smile can be life changing. It gives back the confi dence to smile. Thousands of people worldwide have already experienced the unique benefi ts of Snap-On Smile.

Snap-On Smile is for just about everyone!
    Snap-On Smile is an affordable and life-changing solution for people of all ages. Getting a Snap-On Smile simply requires two, short, painless visits with no drilling, no shots and no change in tooth structure.

It is an excellent choice for:
    ē Gaps, crooked, stained or missing teeth
    ē Those who are not candidates for bridges or implants
    ē Anyone who would like a Hollywood smile without the expense and discomfort of complex and invasive dental procedures
    ē Anyone who has an old-fashioned removable partial denture and wants a beautiful, more comfortable alternative

Itís easy, itís painless and you can start today
    1. You pick the style and shade of your new smile
    2. Your dentist takes an impression of your teeth
    3. You come back in about three weeks for a fi nal fi tting and you wear your Snap-On Smile home

How long will my Snap-On Smile last?
    Snap-On Smile comes with a 12 month limited warranty against manufacturing defects, which is extendable to 3 years. Click here for full warranty terms. With proper care, your Snap-On Smile can last from 3 to 5 years. Just follow the Snap-On Smile dentistís cleaning instructions and youíll enjoy millions of smiles with Snap-On Smile...

Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

"I'm sorry I called you a gaptoothed bitch; it's not your fault you're so gaptoothed."
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information