View Poll Results: What do you think of them?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tacky and Dangerous

158 86.81%
  • Harmless Fun

12 6.59%
  • Not Sure

12 6.59%
Page 19 of 199 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969119 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Child beauty pageants: fun or fiendish?

That's too funny, that word "chav" cracks me up

I did a pageant when I was younger..I keep thinking it was in Vegas..hell I don't remember.. I got third place and still have the trophy..my mom always says (when she sees the trophy) you would have gotten first if you woulda stayed still and out of your nose!

Here they come, walkin'
    Down the street.
    They get the funniest looks from
    Ev'ry one they meet.
    Hey, hey, they're the Pageant-tards
    And people say they yank their kids around .
    But they're too busy bashing eachother
    To put anybody else down...

*crickets chirping and tumbleweeds blowing by* ???

Default a former pageant mom..................

Hi everybody! I came across this thread on the dreaded "pink board" and would like to tell my story.

We did pageants for about 6 months and my daughter is 7 years old. In those 6 months she did very well and really enjoyed herself and the family weekends we shared. It was like a 2 day game of dress up for her. However, after about 6 months I began to see the light so to speak. Why was I not only allowing, but PAYING for perfect strangers to "judge" my daughter? And on her physical beauty no less!

The entry fees are outrageous and if that were not enough, you have:

h/m: $400
    dress:$2000
    swimwear: $300
    casual wear $400
    photoshoot: $400 for 2 looks
    8.5x11 print of ONE photo: $200
    hotel for weekend: $300
    food and gas to get there: who the hell knows!

and the list goes on and on.

But the money was not the part that turned me sour. It was THE MOMS!
    These women will stop at nothing to make sure their little suzy wins, and I mean NOTHING. They will call your child a little whore, say she is ugly, break into your hotel room and sabotage your clothing, etc.

When my daughter won money, it was her money. She has a savings account.

When I looked around and saw these FATASS moms with these made up, sad looking girls (robots) I had enough.

I always made sure that pageants were a game and not stressful. My daughter knew she was gorgeous no matter what and our rule was "have fun!". Our only rule. But once you realize these moms are bitches and the directors are crooked, and the vendors usually control the winners, it was no longer fun.

I am so glad we no longer participate in this industry and I am willing to answer any questions you all might have.

My gawd, those pictures... holy hell, the stuff nightmares are made of.
    "You should've never trusted Hollywood..."

I was in several "talent competitions" that were basically just masked pageant shows or probably "practice" for the group of kids who went on to do actual pageants. I wish I had a pic of my dorky, bare-faced, long-straight-hair-held-back-with-one-barrette, holly-hobby long-dress-wearing self sitting on a stage playing the freaking piano. But it would take group shots or film to capture the stark contrast between myself and the other contestants in sequins and makeup and teased hair all belting out some tune like a grown-up (and so loud I had to cover my ears) or gyrating their ass like a stripper or doing cartwheels and backflips.

It was always some chick who sang the loudest and had the biggest hair who won. Sometimes it would be a backflips gymnast chick if she had the most "visible" mom. I guess a 7 year old playing Beethoven sucked ass. Damn, unless she was trying to prove a point...my mom sure was clueless.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    Wheeeee!!!!

Before and after "expert" photo retouching!
    you have to be effing kidding me? This is going to sound really bad but I'm sorry the after pic looks like one of those blow up dolls that would be sold online on those pedo websites.
    Last edited by NoDayButToday; June 30th, 2008 at 08:04 PM.

A*O

Quote Originally Posted by EX-pageantmom View Post
    Hi everybody! Why was I not only allowing, but PAYING for perfect strangers to "judge" my daughter? And on her physical beauty no less!
    Good question, especially as we know what the pageant idea of "beauty" is . It's not the fact that these moms are willing to spend their welfare cheques pimping out their sexaualised pre-teen daughters like little whores, it's the fact that they think it's appropriate in the first place. And I'm very sorry but I do not believe that 3yr olds spontaneously say "Oh Mommy, can I please be in a pageant? It would be so much fun!" The whole business is seedy, tacky and vulgar and gives these kids ALL the wrong messages about what makes them worthwhile human beings. Pageantmoms bleat incessantly that being Miss Charme Princess makes their daughters confident and 'poised' and boosts their self-esteem when in fact the total opposite is true. For every 'successful' pageant kiddie there are a thousand who are rejected purely on the basis of their looks. What kind of message does that send?

Oh and we know the Pageant Moms all hate each other - that's half the fun
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Good question, especially as we know what the pageant idea of "beauty" is . It's not the fact that these moms are willing to spend their welfare cheques pimping out their sexaualised pre-teen daughters like little whores, it's the fact that they think it's appropriate in the first place. And I'm very sorry but I do not believe that 3yr olds spontaneously say "Oh Mommy, can I please be in a pageant? It would be so much fun!" The whole business is seedy, tacky and vulgar and gives these kids ALL the wrong messages about what makes them worthwhile human beings. Pageantmoms bleat incessantly that being Miss Charme Princess makes their daughters confident and 'poised' and boosts their self-esteem when in fact the total opposite is true. For every 'successful' pageant kiddie there are a thousand who are rejected purely on the basis of their looks. What kind of message does that send?

Oh and we know the Pageant Moms all hate each other - that's half the fun
    From what I have observed, 90% of these pageant moms are very over weight and most likely get a self esteem boost from the crowns the daughters are winning. These moms spend all of the time and money into grooming the daughters, and rarely groom themselves. I am guessing that is the reason some of the moms are so obsessed with this "hobby". It makes THEM feel good, even if it makes the daughters feel bad.

Welcome EX-pageantmom! Could you tell me about the prizes these kids are competing for? Can they really win scholarships? Are most of the kids happy or miserable to be doing it? Did you ever see pageant moms get into a brawl?
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

Quote Originally Posted by IheartParis View Post
    Welcome EX-pageantmom! Could you tell me about the prizes these kids are competing for? Can they really win scholarships? Are most of the kids happy or miserable to be doing it? Did you ever see pageant moms get into a brawl?
    Prizes:

I have yet to see a pageant give out a scholarship as an award and we only did large and recognized nationals (4 of them). They give away CASH which also fuels these moms desires for a win. Some give away $100 on smaller local levels, and on the national level you can win as much as $5000 ($10,000 bond but they give half as cash on stage, who wants bonds, moms cant use bonds HAHA) and some claim to give away cars. You also see some systems give out large almost 2 foot crowns, satin sashes, toys, electronics, bikes, etc. Some of it is for the kids, but these moms do not pick which pageant litlte suzy is going to based on toys given out, it is always about the money.

Happy or not:

Most look very happy when onstage but look very uncomfortable off stage. You have to remember these children have about a pound of hair on their heads, caked on makeup, flippers in their mouths, constricting clothing, and have been sprayed with a cold tanning solution. Would you be happy? I have seen many children crying on and off the stage. Most do not want to be there.

Crazy mommas:

I have never personally seen a brawl, but have heard of it happening. Recently a little girl had her dress destroyed by another pageant mom who broke into the hotel room and dumped orange soda into her dress container.

I would also like to note that these moms enjoy showing off little suzy on pageant forums on the internet, public forums that all can see, and then bitch and moan when these images, by this time public domain, are circulated all over the internet and then they scream "oh you are using copyrighted photos". They want you to recognize little suzy for her beauty win, but heaven forbid someone hotlink back to these images. Well my advice to the moms is, if you do not want people to see, don't post.
    Last edited by Tati; June 25th, 2008 at 08:22 PM.

they are not happy about this thread LOL
    Last edited by NoDayButToday; June 30th, 2008 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMarsters View Post
    Okay, I've also wondered why are the clothes so fucking ugly also?
    I'd like to know that too. Gaudy, poofy and stuck in the eighties.

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
    I'd like to know that too. Gaudy, poofy and stuck in the eighties.
    Some of them are terrible and other outfits are works of art. When we got out of pageants I sold my daughter's entire wardrobe for nearly $4000. Her clothes were not ugly though, they were top of the line, latest designs.

Thread Information