View Poll Results: What do you think of them?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tacky and Dangerous

158 86.81%
  • Harmless Fun

12 6.59%
  • Not Sure

12 6.59%
Page 150 of 199 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154160 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 2975
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Child beauty pageants: fun or fiendish?

the wall of what, his trailer? His wig store?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

SVZ

he probably sleeps in a giant doll house

he probably decorated it too
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

I wish these pageants would start an 'Islamawear' category..then they could use the sparkly pink burqas!!!!

SVZ

with the blended skin of a thousand babies

notice the grand staircase to make his pageanty entrance. The only thing wrong with this picture is that there are GIRLS in his house that aren't being judged for something.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    That's probably true, I'll give you that. The difference is that children in these activities often learn how to balance their time between school work, practices & playing with friends. You would also hope that these kids are given the option of different sports or instruments to play. When I was a kid that seemed to be the case.

I started swimming on a competitive team at age 6 and continued until I was 18 - with a 1 year break at 16-17. Personally, I learned time management because I had a lot to do everyday and needed to get it all done. My parents were very involved in the swimming culture...but performing well at school was far more important to them than my swimming. Plus, the reason I took a break was because I decided for myself that I didn't want to swim anymore. I wanted to be a regular high school student. My parents totally understood. I never felt like it was forced and up until I was 16 I loved swimming and loved going to practice.

I've gotten the impression that a lot of the kids in pageants - and maybe these are just the kids featured on docs. I've seen on TV - focus 90% of their attention of pageants and 10% on everything else. In the docs. I've watched the kids never seem like they are having a great time, but are there to please their parents.
    In your last paragraph I see what I think is a common misconception about pageant kids. We have not done a pageant since April, and quite honestly have only practiced one hour in that amount of time with her pageant coach. She has had dance performances and now softball taking up her time. We do have three pageants planned for summer - one is a local little miss pageant which is natural and involves no traveling, one is a state natural which is a one day pageant an hour away and one is a national glitz pageant in the next state. Obviously we don't focus 90% of our time on pageants, although I am sure there are some that do.

In regards to your swimming - did you ask to start competing at the age of 6 or was it something your parents put you in because they were involved? I believe that most activities kids are placed in are because of the parents interest. All of my daughter's danced because I did, but they were free to quit whenever they wanted to. My grand daughter is always asked if she still wants to do pageants, and if she ever wants to stop we will.

I know the other pageant mom on here seemed to have horror stories to tell, but quite frankly we have not experienced that type of stuff. Not to say I haven't seen parents upset at their kids (which I hate) but I see that in dance, sports and at the grocery store. I think the difference is that we surround ourselves with good friends and leave the crazies alone. My grand daughter's two best friends in pageants all compete in the same age group and are so supportive of each other. I have seen my grand daughter stand with her fingers crossed, hoping her friend is getting the crown. They are gracious when they win and more importantly gracious when they lose. And their friendship is beautiful to see. I suppose it is because we don't put the emphasis on winning, but on having fun.

I am sure I will be torn to shreds over a positive pageant post, but this is the reality of it.

Yes, which obviously discounts the other 99% of horrible experiences that have been listed or shown on tv, youtube, in magazines, newspapers, and everywhere else.

Nothing to see here, one person had positive experiences despite prostituting her grandkid in a bathing suit for no reason, move along..

The whole issue with pageants is judging children on their looks...
    Dressing them up like whores and telling them the whoriest one of all wins...

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe View Post
    With that line of reasoning, then we should wait until adulthood before doing any type of activity outside of schoolwork. Children are placed into activities all the time because of their parent's interests. Baseball, football, basketball, gymnastics, music lessons, cheerleading, dance, etc. Most of these activities are started at too young of an age for the child to make the choice as they are not adults yet.
    Most of the time kids start activities because other kids at school are doing them too through the local rec centers. They are there with classmates, etc. It is for a few hours but does not control their lives unless they get on to one of the competitive travle teams - yet another discussion....

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Yes, which obviously discounts the other 99% of horrible experiences that have been listed or shown on tv, youtube, in magazines, newspapers, and everywhere else.

Nothing to see here, one person had positive experiences despite prostituting her grandkid in a bathing suit for no reason, move along..
    I am not saying it discounts the bad experiences others have had, it is just showing the other side. Youtube, magazines, TV all show the side that will get the ratings. And only publicity hounds agree to being the focus of those shows.

When reports of abuse by priests came out, did they do reports on the thousands of priests who did not abuse little boys? No.

When the stories of coach's getting killed/beat up by angry parents came out, did they do stories on all of the coaches and parents that do not have this problem? No.

Let's face it - the media and this board thrive on the crazy, far-out, and unusual things in the world. Not the honest, hard-working people who live their day to day lives trying to do their best, helping their neighbors and at peace with themselves.

Oh, and by saying I am prostituting my grand daughter (which is a horrible thing to say) are you in effect calling me a pimp? I thought there was a rule about attacking a fellow board member and calling them names?

You used the word, I didn't. One is a label. The other is an action. If the big platform shoe with the dead goldfish in them fits, well then...

This thread is hysterical and addicting - I can't stop checking it! I am getting no work done today, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    This thread is hysterical and addicting - I can't stop checking it! I am getting no work done today, again.
    The pink board is fun to troll. Oh yes bitchz, that is what I'm doing. And its driving the manatyys crazyy

just remember to spell properly!

Thread Information