View Poll Results: What do you think of them?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tacky and Dangerous

158 86.81%
  • Harmless Fun

12 6.59%
  • Not Sure

12 6.59%
Page 127 of 199 FirstFirst ... 2777117123124125126127128129130131137177 ... LastLast
Results 1,891 to 1,905 of 2975
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Child beauty pageants: fun or fiendish?

Does anyone know where I can get veneers or a flipper for my 10 month old? I really need her to have a great smile.

She has only 7 teeth and they are really gappy. When she smiles you see a lot of spaces. It's a deal breaker! Also, will super glue work to keep the flipper in her mouth? I am worried about it being a choking hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    If you took children out of a pool, lined them up for strangers on the side of it, and made them judge your said children on how "good" they looked, that would be sick.

Tell me: how is this different?
    Very interesting & thought-provoking question.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    Sorry, I'm not falling for your claims. I just don't believe you are truthful... but hi anyway!
    Alot of moms have the h/m person use their real hair for swimwear for the scrunched or wavy look. But I promise you in the beauty portion of the competition this girl has on fake hair. I am also not buying that those are her teeth. I can spot a flipper from a mile away. And as for the rest being just lip gloss and some blush, this is untrue also. The girl is tanned, they all are, and the h/m person must match the face to the body so I can promise you this girl is caked down with foundation, concealer, eye makeup, blush, lip liner, lipstick, gloss, and false eyelashes. Nice try grandma.
    "If you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved."

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe View Post
    Don't know what claims I have made or what you think is untruthful - but thanks for the Hi!

I will put you in Grimm's category as someone with a pre-conceived idea about another person. Again, I won't waste my energy trying to change your opinion.
    Another person?

I asked you questions related to what your "granddaughter" is doing in a bathing suit, as a child, being judged on her appearance by complete strangers, and why such a thing exists at all. What is the point of it?

Talent competitions showcase talent

Speaking competitions showcase public speaking

What does a swimsuit competition showcase exactly?

I await your answer. It's a simple question.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Damn, and I was hoping she was kind of natural.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadDwarf View Post
    Does anyone know where I can get veneers or a flipper for my 10 month old? I really need her to have a great smile.

She has only 7 teeth and they are really gappy. When she smiles you see a lot of spaces. It's a deal breaker! Also, will super glue work to keep the flipper in her mouth? I am worried about it being a choking hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe View Post
    Thank you. She is sweet and kind and does a few pageants a year. Right now she is busy with softball and swimming (but in a different suit).

She is not defined by her participation in pageants, but it is something that we enjoy doing. We will continue until it is no longer enjoyable.

You can't be a "proper" pageant (grand)mom, you're much too reasonable! (j/k). I'm glad that your grand-daughter hasn't been photo-shopped into a generic "doll"; I really don't understand why people do that. There is beauty in people's diversity rather than in the generic photo-shop look.

Guys - Why not give this poster a chance? She's obviously got a sense of humour - that's apparent from her name alone! She didn't start this and maybe she doesn't want to be a spokesperson for all pageant moms?
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by EX-pageantmom View Post
    Alot of moms have the h/m person use their real hair for swimwear for the scrunched or wavy look. But I promise you in the beauty portion of the competition this girl has on fake hair. I am also not buying that those are her teeth. I can spot a flipper from a mile away. And as for the rest being just lip gloss and some blush, this is untrue also. The girl is tanned, they all are, and the h/m person must match the face to the body so I can promise you this girl is caked down with foundation, concealer, eye makeup, blush, lip liner, lipstick, gloss, and false eyelashes. Nice try grandma.
    Can you post a new link to the Pink Board? Thanks. I am sure they will be especially pleased if YOU are the one posting the latest link for everyone.

*with periodic linking to the board over there it will make it easier for folks here to monitor them, as they are obviously monitoring us. Maybe we can have a seperate thread (in the new MANATEE!) forum here, just to have updated links to that board..The Texas board, and others..including the VOY anti=pageant board.?

Quote Originally Posted by EX-pageantmom View Post

Nope. She uses her own hair in beauty too. We just have the H/M person put it up on her head with some tendrils down. I would show you, but don't want another pageant photo of her on here.

Your flipper spotter must be out of order because those are her own teeth! (see natural photo above)

She is not tanned - she is of mixed race and has never had to tan. Hence the curly hair also!

She does have on false eyelashes. I did forget to mention those. She uses them in pageants and dance competitions as they do help to emphasize the eyes.

Sorry that you are so bitter about your experiences in pageants, but you are totally off base here!
    Last edited by NoDayButToday; June 30th, 2008 at 11:10 PM.

Well, I'm all for giving her a chance, but it would start off better if she were telling the truth. Her granddaughter is very pretty, and may not be photoshopped to pieces in that picture above, but I'm curious about her studio shots. The above picture is a candid shot, taken during the competition. It's the studio shots that get airbrushed all to hell.

As for the teeth, I dunno, the first thing I thought was that they looked just like my cousin's (who happened to be in pageants!!!) but expageantmom would be more likely to know.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

she's happy to talk about it, unless it involves answering more pertinent questions about it and then it's all "preconceived notions".

Wtf ever.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lobelia View Post
    Well, I'm all for giving her a chance, but it would start off better if she were telling the truth. Her granddaughter is very pretty, and may not be photoshopped to pieces in that picture above, but I'm curious about her studio shots. The above picture is a candid shot, taken during the competition. It's the studio shots that get airbrushed all to hell.

As for the teeth, I dunno, the first thing I thought was that they looked just like my cousin's (who happened to be in pageants!!!) but expageantmom would be more likely to know.

We do have the photos - we call them glitz headshots. They are part of the competition right now. They have gotten totally out of hand in the past few years. We use them for the pageants, but that is it. We don't drag them out to show our guests!

On a good note, natural photogenic competition is the new big thing at pageants. One more reason I think that the tide is turning to toning things down a bit.

I didn't start out being untruthful. I am not the one who brought the banner to this board. I was just answering some of the comments about the banner. And everything I said was the truth. And expageantmom is not more likely to know about the teeth than I am!

you seem to be avoiding my questions quite obviously.

What's to avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    she's happy to talk about it, unless it involves answering more pertinent questions about it and then it's all "preconceived notions".

Wtf ever.
    A swimsuit competition aspect is simply sexualizing and the grandmother obviously just does not want to admit it. There have been years of battling about how swimsuits sexualize adult pageants.
    How could it be any different for children. You will not get an answer or defense, because there is no answer or defense.

Your granddaughter is a very pretty girl, but I think she looks so much better in the normal picture, as opposed to when she's dressed up in that overly revealing outfit and wearing makeup.

Thread Information