View Poll Results: What do you think of them?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tacky and Dangerous

    158 86.81%
  • Harmless Fun

    12 6.59%
  • Not Sure

    12 6.59%
Page 118 of 199 FirstFirst ... 1868108114115116117118119120121122128168 ... LastLast
Results 1,756 to 1,770 of 2975
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Child beauty pageants: fun or fiendish?

  1. #1756
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,300

    Default

    Grymm's right - you cannot be in a pageant if you don't have a Y in your name. AyO. Actually little Lakyn looks very much my daughter at that age only I didn't feel the need to showpony her at pageants and I certainly didn't put stupid pink bows in her 'hair'. She won't wear pink to this day... but she does sport so she's probably a lesbian.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  2. #1757
    Bronze Member lori359's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    31

    Default

    No it is not OK to call kids names here just bc they are not suppose to be here reading the forums, if I recall I read on an earlier post where someone wrote that her daughter liked the misspelling of pedifile...kids are reading this, and she may be a chubby 2 year old but she is still a 2 year old! It is not ok to poke fun at children EVER, shame on anyone for thinking otherwise. How would you feel if someone was calling your kid fat? Don't try to lie bc it would tick me off if some adult told me my kid was fat. Be an adult and leave the kids out of it when you are making mean comments.

    I feel sad for you bc you are so stuck on referring to these INNOCENT children in such a vulgar fashion. I once again am not in support of these children being made to look like adults, however, I find it hard to beleive that mom gets up and says hmm lets see if I can make my little one look like a hooker today. I have been around the pageant scene for a longggg time and I have seen some really things that make me say WTF, but I have also seen things that are regarding the children, I have seen the friendships that are formed between 2 girls whose parents hate each other, I have witnessed some very shy girls comeout of their shells and gain confidence in themselves, I have witnessed these crazy moms coming together to raise money for good causes, see pgts are not ALL bad, like most things in life they have the bad apples that get mixed in to the bunch making the few people who really have their girls in it for the fun look just as bad as them. I have seen people wonder why these so called manatees compare pgts to sports: Ok sure there is no make up or extensions involved, but competition of any kind brings out the worst in people. My son plays football, I have seen many of the players cussed at by their parents for not being good enough, I have seen the coaches hike the children up by their jersey-get in their little faces and scream at them bc they missed a play..this is no better! I have seen over the last 2 years where parents have been arrested for attacking ohter players parents, the players, the referees. I even recall someone being shot and killed over a little league baseball game! My son is only 10 it is not like he is playing pro ball, yet this behaviour is there. I will say that you may hear backstabbing and bitching at a pgt but never do I recall a murder or any fights. Unfortunatly in our society it really is not going to matter what hobbies children get involved in, there is always going to be some judgemental person telling you that it is wrong, that you are a bad parent for allowing them to participate in it. At what point is enough going to be enough? This particular rant for instance has been going on for days now...do you really sleep better at night by doing this? What is it accomplishing? Do you believe that your hatred is going to shut down pgts forever?? OK I am done now, bash away!
    Last edited by Tati; June 29th, 2008 at 03:08 PM.

  3. #1758
    Elite Member Novice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Beyond Caring, then hang a left.
    Posts
    41,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lori359 View Post
    No it is not OK to call kids names here just bc they are not suppose to be here reading the forums, if I recall I read on an earlier post where someone wrote that her daughter liked the misspelling of pedifile...kids are reading this, and she may be a chubby 2 year old but she is still a 2 year old! It is not ok to poke fun at children EVER, shame on anyone for thinking otherwise. How would you feel if someone was calling your kid fat? Don't try to lie bc it would tick me off if some adult told me my kid was fat. Be an adult and leave the kids out of it when you are making mean comments.
    1) Twitchy was making a joke, or a "pun" aka a play on words (mainly due to the inability of these PM to spell - I'm dyslexic and I spell better than a lot of these women)

    2) Seriously - have you read what is written on the pink boards about each other's kids? Maybe you should ask them not to trash each other's kids too? (and they use their full names too... )

    3) I thought that we had already resolved that anyway?

    4) As for the pink board colour psychology - hot pink was used in studies to subdue violent and crazed criminals, and worked for short spaces of time, however anyone left in there for a long period of time was made worse.

    5) may I also suggest that you use the edit function? Instead of double posting? and the third quote button is for multiple post quoting.

    Quote Originally Posted by lori359 View Post
    I feel sad for you bc you are so stuck on referring to these INNOCENT children in such a vulgar fashion. I once again am not in support of these children being made to look like adults, however, I find it hard to beleive that mom gets up and says hmm lets see if I can make my little one look like a hooker today. I have been around the pageant scene for a longggg time and I have seen some really things that make me say WTF, but I have also seen things that are regarding the children, I have seen the friendships that are formed between 2 girls whose parents hate each other, I have witnessed some very shy girls comeout of their shells and gain confidence in themselves, I have witnessed these crazy moms coming together to raise money for good causes, see pgts are not ALL bad, like most things in life they have the bad apples that get mixed in to the bunch making the few people who really have their girls in it for the fun look just as bad as them. I have seen people wonder why these so called manatees compare pgts to sports: Ok sure there is no make up or extensions involved, but competition of any kind brings out the worst in people. My son plays football, I have seen many of the players cussed at by their parents for not being good enough, I have seen the coaches hike the children up by their jersey-get in their little faces and scream at them bc they missed a play..this is no better! I have seen over the last 2 years where parents have been arrested for attacking ohter players parents, the players, the referees. I even recall someone being shot and killed over a little league baseball game! My son is only 10 it is not like he is playing pro ball, yet this behaviour is there. I will say that you may hear backstabbing and bitching at a pgt but never do I recall a murder or any fights. Unfortunatly in our society it really is not going to matter what hobbies children get involved in, there is always going to be some judgemental person telling you that it is wrong, that you are a bad parent for allowing them to participate in it. At what point is enough going to be enough? This particular rant for instance has been going on for days now...do you really sleep better at night by doing this? What is it accomplishing? Do you believe that your hatred is going to shut down pgts forever?? OK I am done now, bash away!
    Wow! Did I miss the thread that said that bully by parents was acceptable? No, I don't think I did. It isn't acceptable, but then neither is the sexualising of young children in a country that doesn't even show baby's bums in napkin adverts due to worries about pedophiles? Please do feel free to explain to me in which twisted hell that it is right to sexualise 2-3-4-5-6 years olds....
    Free Charmed.

  4. #1759
    Elite Member Lalique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The land of ice and snow
    Posts
    6,222

    Default

    So, Lori, how much have you spent on pageants?
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

  5. #1760
    Elite Member twitchy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dancing on your grave!!!!
    Posts
    9,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lori359 View Post
    I find it hard to beleive that mom gets up and says hmm lets see if I can make my little one look like a hooker today.
    And yet she does it anyway. Without thinking. Maybe she should stop and think about what she is doing to her child. Really think about the pros and the cons and weigh those against each other.

    Being stuck in the little pageant world where everyone else does the same thing only provides reinforcement of the behaviour. If you step outside that for a moment, you'll discover that people are appalled that this could be done to little children. Not everyone in this world is going to think like a pageant mom. You can't be shocked that people find this disgusting. To reiterate, it is not the children themselves that are disgusting but the way they are made up and presented.

    So what is this accomplishing? Nothing. This is a conversation on a topic (look around, we have many) and we're not out to save the world. Nobody here is using this to feel better about themselves or sleep better at night. It would be nice if it could make some of the mothers examine their actions though.

    I understand that you don't like the language used to describe the pictures but revulsion is the first reaction when most people look at those things. I saw far worse said on the voy boards by pageant moms themselves. People here have been using "whoring out" as a metaphor for pageant mom bahaviour but some people on the voy boards were stating that certain mothers (and they named names) actually pimp out their daughters.

    As to the inevitable comparison with sports, I don't see the two as comparable. Yes, they can both be competitive and yes, parents can go mental at both, however, sports don't involve standing on an 'x', pouting, batting one's eyelashes and being judged on appearance. Sports involve skills, being physically fit and often teamwork. You will win or lose depending on how well you do and how much effort you put in and not on whether or not you used a certain name photographer or how much you spent on your outfit.

    Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    is that size 14-16 or sized for age 14-16? Coz a kid that is size 14 is a little on the large side n'est pas?
    I guess it depends on whether that is a children's 14-16 or an adult size 14-16. Hard to tell from the makeup. A size kid's 14-16 is usually a thirteen year old and weighs about a hundred pounds.

    "The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

  6. #1761
    Bronze Member lori359's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Does it matter? I have a great job, my husband has a good job. All of our bills are paid. My children have bank accounts set up for college already. I will tell you this I have spent no more on pageants then I have on dance classes/recitals (where she wears more make up then ever in a pageant), traveling soccer league, cheerleading, and football. So money is not the issue with pageants bc ALL hobbies if you are commited are going to cost you in the long run. I have a child who is very confident in herself, she plays soccer, she has been dancing since she was 3 as well as competition cheer (which fyi has way more nasty moms than pgts ever thought about). Her life does not revolve around pgts, and I do see where some children have no other life outside of them, I even know of one mom who does not allow her kid to go to school bc it inteferes with traveling and coaching for them, so do not get me wrong, as I posted earlier there are the "bad apples" but there are also those who are normal. My child does not have freak pictures and when she competed it was in natural pgts. She did her share of the glitz pgts but I decided that I did not want to ruin her skun and hair or have her believe that she needed to wear makeup to be pretty. However I was not placed on this earth to be judge, jury, and sentencer for all. I have seen first hand there are kids who BEG to be on stage at pageants just as there are those who beg to be off the stage. Why should a child be punished for doign something they love? It comes down to the parents and whether they are forcing this hobby on their kid or not, if the kid truly enjoys it then why make them stop? Not all kids are going to be pageant kids, just like not allkids are jocks or book worms. If your kid is healthy and happy then I say let it be. I do have issue with forcing the kids to compete, not paying your bills so your kid can compete, being mean to the kid that beats yours, BUT I have that issue in every hobby not just pageanting!
    Life is short....drink up!

  7. #1762
    A*O
    A*O is offline
    Friend of Gossip Rocks! A*O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Being Paula
    Posts
    30,300

    Default

    How can a 3 year old "know" they want to participate in pageants/cheer/whatever unless mommy is pointing them in that direction in the first place? It's not coming from the kids, it's coming from the parents and that's my problem.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

    Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

  8. #1763
    Elite Member Lalique's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The land of ice and snow
    Posts
    6,222

    Default

    Ya know, Lori, you just don't get the point of this thread. Go back and read from the beginning. You're a bit late to the party. You will never change my opinion that putting young children on stage to be judged on their looks is pathetic.
    What I really want to know is whether it makes your poop glow in the dark after eating it! ~ Kittylady

  9. #1764
    Elite Member Rica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    How can a 3 year old "know" they want to participate in pageants/cheer/whatever unless mommy is pointing them in that direction in the first place? It's not coming from the kids, it's coming from the parents and that's my problem.
    Exactly. And I bet a lot of the kids dont want to do the pageants, but mommy dearest would be so disappointed and mad if their DD didn't want to do pageants anymore.

    Seriously, these parents are not considering the ramifications of these pageants. 95pct of these kids will end up with eating disorders and image problems...never thinking they are beautiful unless they have layers and layers of makeup and look 5 times their age and have someone give them a trophy and a sash...

  10. #1765
    Elite Member mrs.v's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    highway jammed with broken heroes
    Posts
    22,701

    Default

    Oy,between the blinding color of those boards,the caps,
    and the inability to space between paragraphs(on this board)..
    I have a headache again.

    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

  11. #1766
    Elite Member Rica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrs.v View Post
    Oy,between the blinding color of those boards,the caps,
    and the inability to space between paragraphs(on this board)..
    I have a headache again.

    Every time I alt-tab away from those pink boards into the game I'm playing my screen looks green.

  12. #1767
    Elite Member Folieadeux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    3,232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lori359 View Post
    No it is not OK to call kids names here just bc they are not suppose to be here reading the forums, if I recall I read on an earlier post where someone wrote that her daughter liked the misspelling of pedifile...kids are reading this, and she may be a chubby 2 year old but she is still a 2 year old! It is not ok to poke fun at children EVER, shame on anyone for thinking otherwise. How would you feel if someone was calling your kid fat? Don't try to lie bc it would tick me off if some adult told me my kid was fat. Be an adult and leave the kids out of it when you are making mean comments.
    Guess what you hypocrite. Every time you put (or rather, PUSH) your child out on that stage, you are opening her up to being JUDGED. She is judged on her 'talent', on her clothing and her LOOKS.

    Don't cry foul now! People are not criticizing these children, they're criticizing your ability (or lack thereof) as parents. AND the way these children are presented (hair extensions, heavy make up, short dresses, tanning products, peroxide) - they look like tarts.
    ssabmud

  13. #1768
    Elite Member nycgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    kids are supposed to be "cute," not "sexy!"
    exactly

    Lori how can you do this to your child? Let her be a kid and swing on swings and run in the park. Kids shouldn't be wearing makeup, let alone wearing it and wearing outfits that are so revealing (and tacky). It's just so sick to see a poor young child with makeup on dressed like an adult. Not to mention the girls who are pushed into these pageants often base their self worth on their looks alone later in life.

  14. #1769
    Bronze Member lori359's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    31

    Default

    OK I will give you that, however if you do not give your child the opportunity to TRY something how will they ever know if it is something they want to do?

    Quote Originally Posted by nycgirly101 View Post
    exactly

    Lori how can you do this to your child? Let her be a kid and swing on swings and run in the park. Kids shouldn't be wearing makeup, let alone wearing it and wearing outfits that are so revealing (and tacky). It's just so sick to see a poor young child with makeup on dressed like an adult. Not to mention the girls who are pushed into these pageants often base their self worth on their looks alone later in life.
    Have you seen my kid running around looking like an adult? No, so dont ASSume that I she does. She is all kid, from playing inthe dirt to swinging in the park. So refrain from telling me what I do. All I said was the makeup worn in the pageants is no more than she has had to wear to do a dance recital. Get over yourself already. Half the problems with these so called opinion boards is how quickly people take their own read on what a person is saying...your take being a prime example. And regardless of what you think of anything I do with my kid, shes mine, I pay her bills therefore I am free to do whatever I please as long as it is with in the laws. And really letting her play sports and dance not illegal last time I checked!
    Last edited by Tati; June 29th, 2008 at 03:10 PM.
    Life is short....drink up!

  15. #1770
    Elite Member nycgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    4,316

    Default

    ^^Um ok, I did ballet as a kid for years and never had to wear makeup during recitals...... but anyways. I am not trying to judge these moms or their personal choices, but what they do to their children just seems so wrong. All I know is I wouldn't let my child (hypothetically, I don't have one) even wear makeup- let alone prance up on stage wearing caked on layers of makeup and outfits that make them look like they're 25. It just seems like they should be running in parks and having fun with friends, and being kids. Kids grow up so fast anyway, why make it any faster? Sports have been shown to raise self esteem in children, but it seems like this pageant stuff would lower it. They are taught to base their self worth off their looks alone.

    Of course she's your child and it's your choice, it just seems wrong from an outside perspective.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Homemade beauty recipes and random beauty tips
    By HollyLove in forum Beauty and Skincare
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: August 29th, 2009, 02:16 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 5th, 2008, 10:20 AM
  3. Crowned:The Mother of All Pageants
    By mrs.v in forum Television and Movies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: December 12th, 2007, 02:41 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: November 13th, 2007, 09:00 AM
  5. Home made beauty products/your beauty secrets
    By missbazilb in forum Beauty and Skincare
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 31st, 2006, 09:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •