View Poll Results: Has Cheerleading become too slutty and/or competitive now?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it has become too slutty and competitive.

49 58.33%
  • It is not too slutty, but is too competitive now.

14 16.67%
  • No it is fine..nothing wrong with cheerleading.

9 10.71%
  • As bad as it is, it will never be as bad as pageants.

24 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: CHEERLEADING: Too slutty and/or competitive now?

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I was a gymnast from Pre-K to 12th grade, and I can assure you that gymnastics floor routines are nowhere NEAR as sexually explicit or suggestive as competitive cheer routines. Especially among the really young girls. I can't recall ever doing any move in a floor routine that was as overtly sexual as what you'd normally see in a competitive cheer routine.
    In competitive cheer judging (all-star) points can be deducted from their score for too much innapropriate/suggestive movements, and that goes for the younger girls too. Some teams might not abide by the rules, and I am sure their scores reflect that, but don't make a blanket statement, that ALL competitive cheer teams are like that.

My daughter two years ago was on what is called a "tiny" level team (ages 3-5), their routine theme was High School Musical, and very age appropriate. For 2 counts out of 8, they did this one move where they shook their hips from side to side. (it was so quick, you'd miss it, if you weren't paying attention) They actually LOST points for it, and the judges comment on their score sheet was "innapproiprate hip action" lol, and it was those lost points that put them in 2nd instead of 1st. It became the big joke for the team, but ofcourse the coaches changed that part of their routine.

Hit By Ban Bus!

^^ some might think putting your child in cheerleading at that age is being a pageant Mom .. I don't see it that way. If your doing it to structure your childs playing time I think it's great. My daughters took tap, ballet and jazz, gymnastics and art class. It was something to do.. however if your kid does end up with a special talent just hand them your wallet cause that crap costs out the nose.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    however if your kid does end up with a special talent just hand them your wallet cause that crap costs out the nose.
    You are SOOOO right about that lol...BUT....NOOOO where near the price of pageants! And you get so much more out of this..............

I remember her 1st season when they told us it would be $150 for their uniforms.....the other parents were ready to die, I was thrilled lol....$150 for a uniform....or THOUSANDS for a dress.....lol...I'd GLADLY pay the $150 for the uniorm anyday!

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

In Texas cheerleaders are athletes and it is some serious shit.
    I think alot of the professional cheerleaders are more like dance teams... what's that cute name we had for them back in school???
    I'll never understand 5 year old cheerleaders. Alot of the girls that I knew who were cheerleaders spent most of their youth training as gymnasts, were on the varsity gymnastics team, and did cheerleading because it really is all about the gymnastics and hard core stunts.
    I did tap, jazz, and ballet... ballet was the only one I really liked. Jazz is where they totally skank it up. 9 years old wearing bright red spandex with sheer sleeves and booty shorts and it was all just so fucking wrong.
    I used to go to dance competitions (fucking Showstoppers) and some of the stuff you would see was just shocking. Yeah, jazz is where they skank it up the most.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

^^^ We all know what really happens when you give a little girl "Jazz hands"!!!

Yeah, you give her the go ahead to become a stripper!

My son was in gymnastics as a child and continued through college. He was on his high school cheerleading squad and college varsity squad as well. Nothing in the post really caught my eye but It was interesting. Thanks for asking.
    How about you, did you find it interesting?
    I must say cheerleading can be very controversial and political.
    We have all heard of the cheerleader mom from Texas? Well It's not that much different in Louisiana. With competition teams popping up everywhere, more talented kids are able to be on squads but back in the day when It was only high school squads, The competition during try outs could be a blood fest. I have seen actual fist fights by parents of kids trying out.
    Any thoughts?

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

My teen daughter was a cheerleader in middle school. It was never something I wanted her to do but it was something she really wanted to do. She missed a few practices when our family was going through some turmoil because of my husband's cancer treatments and the hateful ladies running the program pulled her aside to hector her about how she wasn't taking it 'seriously' enough. She quit that same day and I was so proud of her for realizing what is and what isn't that important in life. Spending time with her dad when he was going through the aftermath of surgery and treatment won out over cheerleading. They take it way too seriously.

Yeah, they are a bit psycho like that.

I like it when the squads are comprised of gymnasts. I was a cheerleader for a year in high school and it wasn't fun. The cheering was, but the b.s. from all the burgeoning estrogen in one place was unbearable. I loved the character of the gymnast without a team (girl from Buffy, blanking on the name) trying out for the squad in Bring it On. At least that gives some validity to who makes the squad and who doesn't. Because the angst of trying out and competing and it being rigged and all that stuff is just a little bit ridiculous, and too intense.

I agree. I think that for any cheerleading teams which are going to be doing stunting, there should be some sort of minimum gymnastics ability requirement.

I've seen tons of girls get seriously injured in cheerleading because they were trying to do stunts way too advanced for their skill level and didn't know what the hell they were doing. As a former gymnast, it's one of my biggest pet peeves.

You may not know it from watching, but the rotations, basic movements, balance, and body positioning in cheerleading stunts are all skills that you learn in gymnastics. I've also, on frequent occasions, seen girls doing half-assed handsprings with their arms buckling underneath them, or flips which they can't complete the rotation on, causing them to land on their heads, necks, or backs because they don't have the gymnastics training to do it. They get this false confidence: "I'm a cheerleader!! I can do this stuff!!" and the reality is that their bodies and muscles aren't used to that type of motion and pressure. It takes time and training to get to the point where you can safely do these types of moves.

This happens more frequently on the squads that choose girls based on popularity/looks/parent pressure/etc. They have girls with no gymnastics or acrobatic knowledge or skills, but they still want to do the impressive moves. While you can give a girl some basic training, it's often too little, too late.

I was a cheerleader from 7-12 grade. I graduated in '05. I went to a small school where sports and cheering was not a big deal. Our uniforms were normal until my senior year when they got really skimpy. Midriff baring and the skirts got really short. I'm almost 6 ft. and I looked silly. I hated those uniforms. We were all different sizes and there was no hiding anything in that outfit! Our routines weren't sexualized though.

As far as it being a sport, I never really felt like an athlete doing it. I ran track and things like that for sport. To be honest I just liked dancing around and most of us didn't take it very seriously.
    “Cigarettes and coffee: an alcoholic's best friend!”
    ~Gerard Way

These are from Russia, slutty or competitive what do you think?

Source and tons of more pics

My girlfriend was captain of her State Champion highschool cheering squad and went on to cheer 3 years in college. She now coaches a Highschool team and if I said it was slutty she would kill me! lol, But seeing her team they are just regular girls..their outfitts are fine. When you get to the pro levels is when it becomes more dance and sexualized
    "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat your children. Praise be to Allah." TEAM MILEY!!

Although it is still highly sexualized, school cheerleading in my area is generally not as slutty as club and pro cheerleading because of strict school regulations about the uniforms and, to a lesser extent, the dance content.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread Information