View Poll Results: Has Cheerleading become too slutty and/or competitive now?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it has become too slutty and competitive.

49 58.33%
  • It is not too slutty, but is too competitive now.

14 16.67%
  • No it is fine..nothing wrong with cheerleading.

9 10.71%
  • As bad as it is, it will never be as bad as pageants.

24 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: CHEERLEADING: Too slutty and/or competitive now?

Warning: if your child plays any sports (cheerleading including), he or she will end up gay. Just thought I would inform you all of this serious threat!

^^ So to keep my dd straight should I just keep her locked up at home in front of the TV eating bonbons and watching reality TV shows? Will that work?

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    ^^ So to keep my dd straight should I just keep her locked up at home in front of the TV eating bonbons and watching reality TV shows? Will that work?
    Yep, that should do it, but then you risk the chance of her being a fat manatee. Or you can always try pageants, she will be prettyye and straight then!

Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe
    Sorry, but if some of the moms are nuts and some of the teams are over the top, then all of you are bad, child abusing mothers who should have CPS called on them. I learned that from the pageant discussion!

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    Sarcastic much?!?

Not at all. I now apply this valuable lesson to everything in my life.

seriously, it's cheering. how can that be a sport? maybe it's a cultural thing and if you didn't grow up in the US you don't get it but i'm just amazed that this stupid tradition still exists. like manx mouse said, it started out with girls being a sideshow to cheer on the boys, and provide some eye candy in their little short skirts. real empowering
    if i had a daughter, i would never ever ever let her cheer. it's up there with stupid pageants for me. if she wants to dance and do gymnastics, she can dance and do gymnastics, but not stupid cheerleading.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Our richest basketball clubs use profecional dancers as chearleaders,most of them Russians or Ukranians..just saying
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Big difference between school cheer and all-star cheer. All-star cheer is a sport along the same lines as gymnastics. Not sure why it's even called cheerleading. Watch this video on Youtube and tell me it does not require athleticism -

Click here for cheer video

The outfits are also less revealing than Olympic leotards.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by thatswhatshesaid View Post
    Big difference between school cheer and all-star cheer. All-star cheer is a sport along the same lines as gymnastics. Not sure why it's even called cheerleading. Watch this video on Youtube and tell me it does not require athleticism -

I don't have a problem with this kind of cheering. It's like a synthesis of dance and gymnastics and it is athletic and I think it should be considered a sport. It's got the combination of athleticism and competition.

Of course, I have always secretly loved seeing these cheer competitions. It looks like such fun! In school I was too shy and awkward to be a cheerleader but I always wanted to do it. Bring it On is one of my favorite movies. I love watching all the cheer sequences.

I think in any sport there is going to be bitchiness and infighting. Even in boy's football! And some parents are always going to be OTT, no matter which sport.

My daughter can do cheerleading if she wants to. I wouldn't have a problem with it as long as it is treated like a sport and not a T&A show where the girls are being suggestive and wearing skimpy outfits.

Neither DH and I were athletic because our parents didn't give us support and I have a strong desire for my kids to find a sport they love. My son has tried soccer, basketball, karate, swimming and football so far. He went to a football camp this summer and is interested in being on a Parks and Rec team this fall. He also wants to try baseball in the spring. Eventually he will settle on something that he loves to do and will have it for life. I think team sports benefit children in life. Yes, even cheerleading.

These girls are young, beautiful and healthy.

If their biggest achievement in teir live is that of a terrific ass-shaking, then what's wrong?
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

Please don't make a blanket statement like that. It varies from school to school. My nieces are at a school where cheer is a sport and they compete using dance and gymnastics. The team has practice at the gymnastics studio twice a week just to work on the tumbling, etc. They also have a day of dance then 2 team practices. To make the team you must have mastered the back handspring and tuck at least. At my daughter's school cheer is nto at all popular. Our team just this year finally learned a pyramid formation - they are comical to watch. Hell even the kids in band make fun of them. Seems it varies from school to school.

Bronze Member

At my daughter's school there are a few girls who do cheer through a competitive club and they will not even consider cheering at school. It is too boring and sedate for them.
    I can tell you from experience that some of these school/city teams feel threatened by girls who cheer competitively. And it is because their skills and abilities far exceed the other girls.

Where we live they have a local city football/cheerleading league. (not Pop Warner just a small city league) And it is the end all be all around here. If your kids do not participate, you aren't part of the "in" group. The little girls my daughters age, cheer at 6 football games (or let me rephrase that, stand on the sidelines and shake Pom poms during the football game)I later realized, it is basically for the Moms to parade them in front of the crowd and get their egos fluffed up by hearing "Oh....aren't they soooo cute!"

My daughter wanted to join, cause it is still cheerleading to her, and she loves it that much, and most of the little girls in her class participated too and that's all they talked about.

They had a registration meeting, and most of the little girls who cheered were there running around the gym, showing off their cheerleading moves. I had already signed my daughter up and paid the registration fee, she was with some girls from her class, and since they were all sharing what they could do, my daughter showed them how she could tumble.

Within minutes, a group of the moms, who were also coaches for the team my daughter would have been on, came over to me, handed me back my registration form and check and said that unfortunately my daughter would not be allowed to participate. Their reasoning, that since she already cheered competitively the schedules would probally be in conflict (which was not the case, I checked into that before I decided to let her do this, if they did, and we couldn't commit completely, we would not have done it)

The REAL reason.....if my daughter was there and had actual skill, she would be taking the lime light away from their little ones, who just stood there and jumped up and down.

Sorry for the long story lol, just thought I would share.

Please don't make a blanket statement like that. It varies from school to school. My nieces are at a school where cheer is a sport and they compete using dance and gymnastics. The team has practice at the gymnastics studio twice a week just to work on the tumbling, etc. They also have a day of dance then 2 team practices. To make the team you must have mastered the back handspring and tuck at least. At my daughter's school cheer is nto at all popular. Our team just this year finally learned a pyramid formation - they are comical to watch. Hell even the kids in band make fun of them. Seems it varies from school to school.
    It does depend on the school. We have some bigger High Schools around us, who's cheer teams also compete, and they are amazing. They throw the same tumbling and stunting as the All Star teams. And then at other High Schools they don't.
    Last edited by Tati; July 2nd, 2008 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    seriously, it's cheering. how can that be a sport? maybe it's a cultural thing and if you didn't grow up in the US you don't get it but i'm just amazed that this stupid tradition still exists. like manx mouse said, it started out with girls being a sideshow to cheer on the boys, and provide some eye candy in their little short skirts. real empowering
    if i had a daughter, i would never ever ever let her cheer. it's up there with stupid pageants for me. if she wants to dance and do gymnastics, she can dance and do gymnastics, but not stupid cheerleading.

There you go..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Gold Member

Where I come from, football is a girl's sport. It's all a matter of perspective.

All-star cheering is a sport in its own right. A dangerous sport, but a sport nonetheless.

if she wants to dance and do gymnastics, she can dance and do gymnastics, but not stupid cheerleading.
    Have you actually seen competitive cheerleading? Just look it up on Youtube. What's the difference? In gymnastics, girls wear skintight leotards and do the same moves as the all-star cheer girls. Dance outfits also have form-fitting clothing and wild stage makeup. The clothing aids in movement. It's quite difficult to throw a series of back handsprings if you're wearing blue jeans. Let's also look at other girl's sports outfits besides the already mentioned gymnastics and dance:

- Swimming: form fitting lycra suits
    - Tennis: outfits similar in style to cheer except in pastel colors.
    - Volleyball: Skin tight tank top and short-shorts

It's ok if you just don't like cheer (as far as sports, I don't like curling or cricket myself). But if you feel the children are sexualized in these sports, then perhaps you should seek counseling or move to a country where females are covered in chador or burkha. And definitely avoid public swimming pools and beaches where children may visit.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I felt the same way... my daughter started gymnastics at age 4. When she was in quiz bowl and their school won there were no cheerleaders cheering them on, they were on the football field or the basketball court. Sports are cheered academics arent.

After a long period of competitive gymnastics - big bucks for events, leotards and warm ups and lets not forget coaching, she is now an elite coach. On the side she trains what gymnasts call bimbo's aka cheerleaders. Thing is cheerleaders do train hard, the top level are ex gymnasts. They look like pageant queens but they aren't bimbos.

Mr.Peters (I can talk about him he's passed away now) daughter didn't get picked her senior year, some other girl was better than her. He marched in, threatened to sue the school, threatened to kick their ass. Poor darling daughter was pittied and treated like a great injustice has happened to her. But you know what.... thats life.

Cheerleading is a sport, they know back hand springs, full twists.... - they know this stuff because of years of practice with a coach their parents pay big bucks for.

Pretty girls with eager mommies won't go anywhere if they don't have the talent to get them there.

lets not forget cheerleading can get you a scholarship.. just like football or Bball.

my gymnastic daughter would give me heck for this post..

Have you actually seen competitive cheerleading? Just look it up on Youtube. What's the difference? In gymnastics, girls wear skintight leotards and do the same moves as the all-star cheer girls.

I was a gymnast from Pre-K to 12th grade, and I can assure you that gymnastics floor routines are nowhere NEAR as sexually explicit or suggestive as competitive cheer routines. Especially among the really young girls. I can't recall ever doing any move in a floor routine that was as overtly sexual as what you'd normally see in a competitive cheer routine.

Gymnastics leotards also don't bare the midriff and they're usually not particularly flattering. They are worn to conform to the body and showcase the skills, where as sequined, midriff bearing tops and butt-cutting miniskirts with slits up the thighs are worn to showcase the girls' physical appearances.

I don't think there's anything wrong with cheerleading, but I do feel that claiming it isn't a uniquely highly sexualized sport is ridiculous.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread Information