View Poll Results: Has Cheerleading become too slutty and/or competitive now?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it has become too slutty and competitive.

49 58.33%
  • It is not too slutty, but is too competitive now.

14 16.67%
  • No it is fine..nothing wrong with cheerleading.

9 10.71%
  • As bad as it is, it will never be as bad as pageants.

24 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: CHEERLEADING: Too slutty and/or competitive now?

awww...Can I have a beer then? or a slab or three?

Do promise to behave if we allow you to keep drinking down under?

It wouldn't be any fun if I behaved

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Now now you drunken Aussie - step away from the bottle. This vodka is only for gay trailer park dwellers.
    so...where is my 'indiscriminate sex' part? *waits impatiently*

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sojiita View Post
    Whatever you do people..do NOT go to a rabid cheerleader board, and then link to this thread. Thanks. If that happens I will ask to have the thread be deleted(since I started the thread..hahaha!!!). NOT going through THAT again.

I don't think there are any rabid cheerleader boards (none that I have seen anyway) I think pageants take the award for that one.

My daughter cheers for an all star team and loves it. Their uniforms aren't seductive at all (the older ones have different uniforms then the smaller ones) Theirs are full length tops, and they wear long sleeved white body suits like underneath their tops, skirts aren't too short. They don't even do the heavy makeup like most other teams, a little glitter on the eyes and some lip gloss that's it. No hairpieces, their coach hates them, just up in a ponytail. The gym's director keeps it very age appropriate, says judges should be focused on their skill level, not their uniforms or makeup. And she is at one of the best gyms in our area. Are there some that are over the top? yeah I've seen some.

They don't cheer from other teams, they only compete. Their routine is 2 1/2 minutes long, consists of jumps, tumbling, stunts, cheer and a small amount of dance (but its not the main element) They are judged on their execution of those elements and the difficulty of them, and how well they stay together, stuff like that. I consider it a sport, others might not, everyone is entitled to an opinion. I know my daughter works hard and leaves the gym as sweaty and tired as another kid leaving soccer practice would. Does it take skill? I couldn't do it lol, especially when it comes to the tumbling and stunting.

I have never once heard any of our coaches comment on any girls dieting habits. Some of the Moms are nuts (but that is ANYTHING I think) Yes it can be dangerous, but with my daughters gym, I know the coaches are trained and certified (not like some of these school/city leagues, were they are just parents)

so...where is my 'indiscriminate sex' part? *waits impatiently*
    but, but... I thought you had learned from the past and had begun to descriminate now?

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post
    I don't think there are any rabid cheerleader boards (none that I have seen anyway) I think pageants take the award for that one.

My daughter cheers for an all star team and loves it. Their uniforms aren't seductive at all (the older ones have different uniforms then the smaller ones) Theirs are full length tops, and they wear long sleeved white body suits like underneath their tops, skirts aren't too short. They don't even do the heavy makeup like most other teams, a little glitter on the eyes and some lip gloss that's it. No hairpieces, their coach hates them, just up in a ponytail. The gym's director keeps it very age appropriate, says judges should be focused on their skill level, not their uniforms or makeup. And she is at one of the best gyms in our area. Are there some that are over the top? yeah I've seen some.

They don't cheer from other teams, they only compete. Their routine is 2 1/2 minutes long, consists of jumps, tumbling, stunts, cheer and a small amount of dance (but its not the main element) They are judged on their execution of those elements and the difficulty of them, and how well they stay together, stuff like that. I consider it a sport, others might not, everyone is entitled to an opinion. I know my daughter works hard and leaves the gym as sweaty and tired as another kid leaving soccer practice would. Does it take skill? I couldn't do it lol, especially when it comes to the tumbling and stunting.

I have never once heard any of our coaches comment on any girls dieting habits. Some of the Moms are nuts (but that is ANYTHING I think) Yes it can be dangerous, but with my daughters gym, I know the coaches are trained and certified (not like some of these school/city leagues, were they are just parents)
    That actually does not sound so bad. Good that there are certified people instructing them with the actual tumbling and gymnastic parts. So you are saying that ..in your case.. it is not too trashy or slutty, they are careful about the athletic parts and are doing what they can to avoid injuries by having trained and qualified people involved, and the parents and the teens themselves are not too nutty about it all. Cool. thanks for your post and info.

Bronze Member

That actually does not sound so bad. Good that there are certified people instructing them with the actual tumbling and gymnastic parts. So you are saying that ..in your case.. it is not too trashy or slutty, they are careful about the athletic parts and are doing what they can to avoid injuries by having trained and qualified people involved, and the parents and the teens themselves are not too nutty about it all. Cool. thanks for your post and info.
    Yes my daughter's gym is great as far as safety goes. All the coaches are trained and certified, have years of experience. The tumbling coaches are all actual tumbling instructors, and were all gymnasts themselves. They have the proper equiptment. And are strict on the rules, even for the older girls, you aren't allowed to tumble or stunt in the gym unless directly being supervised by a coach. Little ones are not allowed on any of the equiptment without their coaches.

Most of the parents are great. There are some that aren't, but like I said you get that anywhere I think. But know first hand how they can act. My daughter is not a teen, she is 7 (I know I might catch flak (sp? lol) for that) BUT this was her choice and she LOVES it. But we have had issues with a few parents. She started at 5, no experience at all, saw a commercial on tv and wanted to try it. She picked up on it very fast and within 6 months was doing back handsprings. There were parents of girls there who all started at 3, and they were already on their 2nd and 3rd seasons on the team, and that didn't sit well with them, cause she came in and after a few months surpassed their own daughters. But on the other hand, most of the parents are great. The teens take it seriously and practice hard and are dedicated, but they don't take it over the top. And are all great girls and good role models to the younger ones. Their uniforms are the midriff tops (but from what I understand it helps flexibility wise with the tumbling and the stunting) but they don't even go too heavy on the makeup. And there are some heavier set girls on the older teams, and some are excellent cheerleaders, who even tumble.

Sounds like a fun time for the girls. How much time is involved in her being in this group?

Bronze Member

My daughter is there 2 nights a week. 1 night for 3 hours (cause she has her actual team practice for 2, then stays and does a tumbling class for another hour) and the 2nd night for 2 1/2 hours (1 hour where she works privately with her coach and 1 1/2 for dance-she does the dance team too) During the actual competition season obvioulsy more when they are going to competitions. For her age she is there more than most, but that is her choice. You don't have to be. They have teams for whatever type of involvement you are interested in, local teams who practice 1 day a week for 1 1/2 and only do a few competitions that are all local, regional teams, (which my daughter is on) who practice 2 hours a week and travel anywhere within like a 6-8 hour drive and go to bigger competitions, and a national team (for older girls) who take maybe 2 flights to competitions a season. And everyone makes a team. They have other things during the year, where we are there more, like team nights, and pizza nights and holiday parties and picnics, clinics and guest coaches, but that is all optional. The rest of her time is spent doing whatever, normal kid stuff, although since she learned to tumble, I think she spends more time upside down then standing on her feet lol.

Thanks btdt I was just curious. I took my 2 when they were young to gymnastics, I think it's a great thing to learn. Unfortunely for me being a single mom (although married at the time, but that's another story) & getting up at 3:30 am for a 10 hr work schedule that's the most I could do was gymnastics. Then there was soft/baseball in the summer which took up a lot of time. You sound like a good mom, enjoy your little one!

Hi. New to this site. My kids have done both all-star and school cheer. They both prefer all-star but both have quit for various reasons. Yes, there are some questionable dance moves. I agree. Makeup looks dorky up close but it needed to to the lights and the fact that judges are about 20-30 feet away from the floor.

I have known several kids (boys and girls) who have received full-ride college scholarships for cheer. Boys especially. If a boy can tumble and be a good stunt base, he can usually get a scholarship because there are not as many. Only girls who can tumble and fly (the ones tossed in the air) seem to get scholarships and even then it is very competitive.

There are nutty parents in every activity. I have found the worst to be in soccer. Which is odd since soccer is still growing in the US.

As far as it being a sport, please view these videos of top US cheer teams and let me know what you think...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Beentheredonethat View Post

Sorry, but if some of the moms are nuts and some of the teams are over the top, then all of you are bad, child abusing mothers who should have CPS called on them. I learned that from the pageant discussion!

An another note - look I found the coach for the Australian Melbourne Tigers!!!

Our richest basketball clubs use profecional dancers as chearleaders,most of them Russians or Ukranians..just saying
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe View Post
    Sorry, but if some of the moms are nuts and some of the teams are over the top, then all of you are bad, child abusing mothers who should have CPS called on them. I learned that from the pageant discussion!
    Sarcastic much?!?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information