View Poll Results: Has Cheerleading become too slutty and/or competitive now?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes it has become too slutty and competitive.

49 58.33%
  • It is not too slutty, but is too competitive now.

14 16.67%
  • No it is fine..nothing wrong with cheerleading.

9 10.71%
  • As bad as it is, it will never be as bad as pageants.

24 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: CHEERLEADING: Too slutty and/or competitive now?

They are judged on the dance and gynastic element of the performance and the stunting which takes athletism and a lot of practice. The teams who perform at the highest level - most in sync, best stunts, etc. wins. It is no different from being judged for gynastics or dance as individuals or team. Back when I was in school the cheerleaders were the side show. They were there for people to watch as they jumped around in tight sweaters during football games. They did cheers with some hand motions and maybe someone would do a split or cartwheel.

A friend at work just put her 8 yr daughter in a competive cheer team that has a huge amount of girls on it. It's not for the school just some organization that has them competing. She's paying a huge amount, like $3000. a year. I'm not sure of the amount but it was outrageous. She was asking for donations so I gave her a donation which I didn't mind doing. Then she ask me to solicit money from the people in my department. wtf NO WAY am I going to ask people to donate for her daughters cheerleading activities. The nerve of some people.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    They are judged on the dance and gynastic element of the performance and the stunting which takes athletism and a lot of practice. The teams who perform at the highest level - most in sync, best stunts, etc. wins. It is no different from being judged for gynastics or dance as individuals or team. Back when I was in school the cheerleaders were the side show. They were there for people to watch as they jumped around in tight sweaters during football games. They did cheers with some hand motions and maybe someone would do a split or cartwheel.
    Right -- so how is what they do at games a sport then, when there's no competition, they're simply providing entertainment? You can jazz it up with flips and moves all you want, but it's not track, it's not volleyball, it's not swimming, it's not basketball....it's just not a sport.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I hate it when people ask for money for these things for their kids. If they do not have the moeny they should be in it. The school teams are always raising money for trips, etc. I do not mind if they do a car wash, etc. At least then they are doing some labor to earn the funds to get to a tournament. I don't even mind when they sell Girl Scout cookies, etc. At leas then they are selling a product for a non profit. When they straight up ask for a donation I get pissed. I choose to donate my money to groups that are providing food and shelter for those who have none. Not to a group of kids who have chosen to cheer (or whatever) and want to take a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I hate it when people ask for money for these things for their kids. If they do not have the moeny they should be in it. The school teams are always raising money for trips, etc. I do not mind if they do a car wash, etc. At least then they are doing some labor to earn the funds to get to a tournament. I don't even mind when they sell Girl Scout cookies, etc. At leas then they are selling a product for a non profit. When they straight up ask for a donation I get pissed. I choose to donate my money to groups that are providing food and shelter for those who have none. Not to a group of kids who have chosen to cheer (or whatever) and want to take a trip.
    You know what really bites my ass, is when they stand out in the middle of the street begging for money for cheerleading camp like a bunch of bums.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Right -- so how is what they do at games a sport then, when there's no competition, they're simply providing entertainment? You can jazz it up with flips and moves all you want, but it's not track, it's not volleyball, it's not swimming, it's not basketball....it's just not a sport.
    They view the games as a chance to practice their competition routines and to generate school spirit. I know a few years back the governing board of sports in school did lable cheering as a sport for which they receive a letter at the varsity level. I have no idea how that works or what is involved since my daughter does not cheer. (Cheering at her high school is a joke - no try outs since last year there were only 11 girls who showed up.) I just know that they are overseen by the same board that handles football, basketball, lacrosse, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    You know what really bites my ass, is when they stand out in the middle of the street begging for money for cheerleading camp like a bunch of bums.
    Agreed - any group could get a bcuket and stand out there to panhandle. I was must admit I was at least encouraged by creativity of one group I saw on 4/15. My office is near a large post office that stays open until midnight on tax day. There was a group from the local little league who stood at the "drive through" area of the post office with signs that said "Start your 2008 Charitable Deductions now with a donation to XXXXX Little League". They gave out receipts for the donation as cars dropped donations into their buckets - LOL.
    Last edited by Tati; July 1st, 2008 at 12:53 PM.

I buy girl scout cookies from her, candy or junk I don't want but at least I'm getting something for my money. It's like putting your child in hockey which is expensive....pay it yourself, don't ask others to fund your childs activities. Maybe I should ask for donations for my daughters new car not much difference.

^^ Agreed. I always wonder how the schools determine what is a sport and what is a club. My daughter plays Vollyball and Basketball which are sports. For that there is a booster club which asks each family to join for $50-75 per year. That pays for shirts and banquets, etc. Now they are recruiting her for crew. It is a "club sport" which means the school does not pay for it. The season will cost be about $800 for her to join the rowing club where they keep the boats and practice. We must also provide transportation to all practices and ragatas. I know the schools can't fund every group kids want to start or our taxes would be even worse. I just wonder why funding football, lacrosse, etc are more important than funding a Diversity Club, etc.

At the school in my district it seems like it's by popularity by the powers that be. Football carries the most weight.

Whatever you do people..do NOT go to a rabid cheerleader board, and then link to this thread. Thanks. If that happens I will ask to have the thread be deleted(since I started the thread..hahaha!!!). NOT going through THAT again.

***** runs to find a cheerleader thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    ***** runs to find a cheerleader thread.
    NOW we will know who to stone!

*goes off in search of rocks*

^^^ LOL - we better get Sojita a few more bottles of vodka before you link the boards.

vodka? where?

Now now you drunken Aussie - step away from the bottle. This vodka is only for gay trailer park dwellers.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information