Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Anyone that gets TLC on cable...

Looks like TLC is getting super-freaky. The network recently announced plans to launch Toddlers and Tiaras, a new series that goes behind the scenes of the child beauty pageant circuit. Says Howard Lee, Vice President of Production for TLC, "The appeal and success of Little Miss Sunshine illustrates that this competitive world really exists. These children and their parents pour so much energy into wanting to win -- and it's fascinating to watch.”
    It's also disgusting to watch. A while back, I caught Vh1's similarly themed doc Little Beauties, in which a group of moms jumpstarted their young daughters' body-image issues by making them wear "flippers"—fake teeth to hide the gaps that normal girls have from losing their baby teeth—and encouraging them to go on stage and bat their eyelashes at adult male judges. Toddlers and Tiaras should offer similar horrors; according to a TLC press release, the show will be "jam-packed with stage moms and dads, hair extensions, spray tanning, makeup and glitter."
    But who deserves more scrutiny here? The parents of these tiny pageant contestants, or a network that agrees to give them the national spotlight? Perhaps the main reason I felt nauseous watching Little Beauties was because the doc never seemed acknowledge that these pageants are so...wrong. Plus, how can Lee point to Little Miss Sunshine as an inspiration for the new TLC program when the movie implies that such beauty pageants are, you know, essentially T&A shows starring unknowing, innocent five-year-olds?
    Am I missing something here, PopWatchers? Will any of you be watching Toddlers and Tiaras when it premieres in late January? And if so, why?

TLC's toddler beauty-pageant series: Gross! | PopWatch Blog | EW.com

Elite Member

I saw Toddlers and Tiaras and the thing that struck me most was the amount of $ the pageant director was raking in. $700 entry fee? For a $1,000 prize? You know that the contestants had to pay for for their rooms, meals, etc. for the weekend. All the director had to do was rent a ballroom for a weekend, stage/light set up and buy some cheap trophies and flowers. Maybe modest stipends for the judges. Big deal. She rakes it in hand over fist.

These parents are idiots on so many levels.

I must admit, the cow girl made me smile.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

I think Howard Lee missed the entire subcontext of Little Miss Sunshine that the girls are selling sexuality in a closeted fashion. I loved it when Olive came out and just did the stripper routine, they were so so outraged yet they were doing the SAME DAMN THING.

The only child beauty pageant contestant that i knew grew up to be a meth addict. True story.

They will be re-airing this show tonight on TLC - anyone else tuning in?

I'm going to tune in...I want to see the craziness!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

oh my gosh, that girl Ava's dad is her 'coach, makeup artist, and dress designer.' And I really think he's gay but he's married.

And WTF with these middle-age women competing in their own pageant?!

Wow, this show is already a hoot.

omg i saw some of this last night.. and yeah, the big brown dude who was some little girl's father is totally gay. Sorry, but what a big nelly queen.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Seemed like most of the daddys connected to this show are seriously in the closet gay men! All those graying sagging middle aged women competing! OMG! Train wreck! So many wrong messages and strange subcontext. Worse than the recent Duggar wedding.

The women that competed for the same title as their kids are unbelievable. In those pageants, there are options where you only compete for your age division, NOT the ultimate. Those women should have only competed for a division win (Mrs. Queen) in my opinion. Either way, the one matronly mom with gray hair DID say she never expected to win, she wanted a better idea of what her daughter goes thru, so that is a good reason for doing it. The fact I did a few pageants before my kid made me much more understanding of what it take to get on that stage. These idiot obese moronic moms that scream at their kids need to have the kids taken away for emotional (and sometimes physical) abuse..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information