Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone that gets TLC on cable...

Yeah, because pageants have so much in common with say, team sports, or archery, or art classes.

If you ban pageants, you'll have to ban all the other activities where 3 year olds get spray tanned, slathered in makeup and paraded around, fake pouting, in front of judges while wearing skimpy outfits!

oh wait, NO OTHER ACTIVITIES ARE LIKE THAT FOR CHILDREN

I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Yeah, because pageants have so much in common with say, team sports, or archery, or art classes.

If you ban pageants, you'll have to ban all the other activities where 3 year olds get spray tanned, slathered in makeup and paraded around, fake pouting, in front of judges while wearing skimpy outfits!

Exactly. My nieces just started up soccer again and my nephew started football. Not one time that i have been at a practice or game have any of them been encouraged to prance provocatively in front of skeevy judges, apply bondo thick makeup, get hair extensions and dye jobs, or dress scantily. Any "activity" for children that includes these things should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by lisalucy69 View Post
    Exactly. My nieces just started up soccer again and my nephew started football. Not one time that i have been at a practice or game have any of them been encouraged to prance provocatively in front of skeevy judges, apply bondo thick makeup, get hair extensions and dye jobs, or dress scantily. Any "activity" for children that includes these things should be banned.
    Dance competitions and cheer/pom competitions do these same things, only more so.

Sport parents who go to the extreme abuse their children and have been known to attack and even kill coaches or other parents.

There are deaths of children and high school kids every year in practices or games for sports. Not to mention high rates of injuries that sometimes last a lifetime.

But, by all means ban pageants that are no way near as dangerous or as bad as they are made out to be on these tabloid shows!

Quote Originally Posted by SSDiva View Post
    And their friend who made the girl's costumes.. I had to hit info a few times to make sure they were from Mississippi. I guess people live where they can afford to, and hope that no one bothers them!!
    As long as they aren't tonguing one another in public and holding gay rights rallies to where people can bullshit themselves that these two are anything but lesbos, you'd be surprised how easily they could reside here. The femmy gay guy is hardly a threat, since he's taken his appropriate role in their world (one of the few availible to guys too obviously gay to play straight) as pageant coach. (Asexual choir/organ/piano boy in the local holy roller church would be another acceptable option, if a guy can stand to never be seen wearing anything too "girly").

You'd be surprised how gay people manage to make it work for them here. Not that I think it's an ideal way of life for anyone, mind you. Actually, in Memphis there's a pretty decent scene, club and coffeeshop-wise. Good for when local holy roller boys and female "roomates" playing straight in the burbs need to blow off steam on the weekends.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Hit By Ban Bus!
    squirrels in the morning, squirrels in the evening, squirrels at suppertime!

Quote Originally Posted by FriendOrFoe View Post
    Dance competitions and cheer/pom competitions do these same things, only more so.

Sport parents who go to the extreme abuse their children and have been known to attack and even kill coaches or other parents.

There are deaths of children and high school kids every year in practices or games for sports. Not to mention high rates of injuries that sometimes last a lifetime.

But, by all means ban pageants that are no way near as dangerous or as bad as they are made out to be on these tabloid shows!
    You have a point but the disturbing thing to me about pageants is the sexualization of children that I've seen occur and i'm not talking about documentaries either.

Quote Originally Posted by cheetopia View Post
    You have a point but the disturbing thing to me about pageants is the sexualization of children that I've seen occur and i'm not talking about documentaries either.

I go to pageants all the time and don't see sexualization of children. Sorry, little girls in frilly dresses and anklets or even cute swimsuits do not strike me as sexual.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post

As I stated before - dance competitions are just as you described. Many of the kids are tanned, wear more makeup than pageants, wear skimpy costumes and dance like they should have a pole on stage with them. Some teachers and parents have no sense at competitions. I have seen 7 year olds dance to "Like a Virgin" complete with thigh high boots and garter belts. I have had father's of my students walk out during performances by other studios because they said it was worse than being at a bachelor party. So your last statement is false.

I go to pageants all the time and don't see sexualization of children. Sorry, little girls in frilly dresses and anklets or even cute swimsuits do not strike me as sexual.
    Pageant mommies and supporters love to pull this Jedi Mind Trick out of their ass (accusing their detractors of being the pervs) to take the focus off of their own inapporpriateness when it comes to kids.

How about little girls wearing more makeup than most grown women? Or outfits mirroring those that are worn by adult women to showcase their adult female attributes and make them look "sexy" and attract the opposite sex? Posturing and preening and gyrating with moves that are sexually suggestive when a grown woman does them in a club, on a runway (or on a stripper pole)?

The reason the clothing, hairstyles and makeup worn and the flirtatious moves, facial expressions and body gestures being made are not age appropriate is because these are the tools used by adult women to enhance their sex appeal. In a sense, these girls are being put through an early and intense form of "training" to enhance and use their sex appeal (even if it's not meant to serve them in that manner until later in their lives) to their advantage.

Even aside from the fact that this robs them of a part of their childhood...childhood being the only time in most of their lives where they'll have a chance to be free of such concerns...it sends a message to these girls that physical attractiveness is the end-all-be-all of existence and importance for their value as women, regardless of whether or not they have aspirations to do anything with their lives that would not be dependent upon how "hot" they were.

You see, when people talk about "sexualization" of these little girls, they are not saying that they see something "sexual". They see something sickening that you and others think is normal, because apparently little girls playacting like adult women on the make who are showcasing their "hotness", is precious. I guess little boys doing whatever they could to look like grown men...taking steroids, getting fake tans, applying fake goatees, and shoving rolled up socks in the front of their pants to create bulges...would be adorable. Not weird and inappropriate.
    Last edited by MsDark; September 16th, 2008 at 11:36 AM.

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Pageant mommies and supporters love to pull this Jedi Mind Trick out of their ass (accusing their detractors of being the pervs) to take the focus off of their own inapporpriateness when it comes to kids.
    i think thats what all sexual predators do; they place blame or shame on the victim its really fucked up!

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post

How about little girls wearing more makeup than most grown women? Or outfits mirroring those that are worn by adult women to showcase their adult female attributes and make them look "sexy" and attract the opposite sex? Posturing and preening and gyrating with moves that are sexually suggestive when a grown woman does them in a club, on a runway (or on a stripper pole)?

The reason the clothing, hairstyles and makeup worn and the flirtatious moves, facial expressions and body gestures being made are not age appropriate is because these are the tools used by adult women to enhance their sex appeal. In a sense, these girls are being put through an early and intense form of "training" to enhance and use their sex appeal (even if it's not meant to serve them in that manner until later in their lives) to their advantage.

Even aside from the fact that this robs them of a part of their childhood...childhood being the only time in most of their lives where they'll have a chance to be free of such concerns...it sends a message to these girls that physical attractiveness is the end-all-be-all of existence and importance for their value as women, regardless of whether or not they have aspirations to do anything with their lives that would not be dependent upon how "hot" they were.

You see, when people talk about "sexualization" of these little girls, they are not saying that they see something "sexual". They see something sickening that you and others think is normal, because apparently little girls playacting like adult women on the make who are showcasing their "hotness", is precious. I guess little boys doing whatever they could to look like grown men...taking steroids, getting fake tans, applying fake goatees, and shoving rolled up socks in the front of their pants to create bulges...would be adorable. Not weird and inappropriate.
    They wear stage makeup - just like they do for dance or plays. In fact, less than they do for those other things.

They do not posture, preen or do stripper moves. They do runway modeling and dance moves. Again, their moves are not adult or sexual.

My grand daughter does 3-4 pageants a year. I think she has plenty of time for childhood! In fact, one of her favorite aspects of the pageant is getting together with her friends from around the country, swimming and just having a fun girl's weekend away from home.

They are not just judged on appearance, but on their modeling technique, poise, confidence and interview skills. She does not spend every day stressing over her appearance.

All of these girls do numerous other activities. My grand daughter does dance, gymnastics, softball and mentors autistic kids through a program at school. She also has started a program to provide stuffed animals and blankets to the kids who are in the pediatrics unit at our local hospital. I think she is very well-rounded for nine years old, and alot of her confidence has come from pageantry and the opportunities they have afforded her.

Sorry, I will never agree with you on this one. There are people who take things to extremes in every aspect of life, and if someone is looking for them they will find them.

I really think people should be more concerned with children who are actually abused and neglected rather than those I see at pageants, who are loved and cared for.

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    i think thats what all sexual predators do; they place blame or shame on the victim its really fucked up!

So now pageant mommies are sexual predators?

Actually, pedophiles put themselves in places to gain a child's trust, like a priest, coach, scout leader, etc. So, your child is in more danger going to church, school or sports than a child is attending a pageant where she is with her mom the whole time.

Well, what pageant mommies do have in common with actual sexual predators is a defiling of childhood innocence.

They wear stage makeup - just like they do for dance or plays. In fact, less than they do for those other things.

They do not posture, preen or do stripper moves. They do runway modeling and dance moves. Again, their moves are not adult or sexual.
    Have you bothered to look through the thread in this section and read or click on any links? Cause I've seen girls barely school age decked out in some outrageously revealing getups that a grown woman wouldn't wear to a club, girls gyrating their hips, shaking their asses and grinding the floor like hoes at an Akon concert. The moves, poses and facial expressions that are standard fare being exhibited at these pageants (yep, I've actually been to some, not just watched extreme TV examples) are exactly like what grown women using their sexuality as a means to an end display. This includes models and actresses as well as strippers and hustlers who go as far as to include sex as part of the bargain instead of just an image of sexiness.

When grown women make this choice of their own volition that's one thing. When children who don't even understand the sex part of the equation are doing it for adults who have a screw loose and can't accept that a child doesn't have to look/behave like an adult on the prowl to be adorable and cute.

So now pageant mommies are sexual predators?

Actually, pedophiles put themselves in places to gain a child's trust, like a priest, coach, scout leader, etc. So, your child is in more danger going to church, school or sports than a child is attending a pageant where she is with her mom the whole time.
    You mean a pedophile couldn't have their own children and/or develop an interest in pageants and be involved with them in some way? Basically, anything kid-oriented is up for grabs if we're talking about where pedos are gonna choose to hang. If anything, a weirdo could probably assimilate into the pageant world with much less notice <heh> than your run-of-the mill school group.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like those serious pageant people travel and hole up in hotels away from home a hell of a lot more in a year than I remember doing for any and all the years of my school, church and scouting events put together.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    Have you bothered to look through the thread in this section and read or click on any links? Cause I've seen girls barely school age decked out in some outrageously revealing getups that a grown woman wouldn't wear to a club, girls gyrating their hips, shaking their asses and grinding the floor like hoes at an Akon concert. The moves, poses and facial expressions that are standard fare being exhibited at these pageants (yep, I've actually been to some, not just watched extreme TV examples) are exactly like what grown women using their sexuality as a means to an end display. This includes models and actresses as well as strippers and hustlers who go as far as to include sex as part of the bargain instead of just an image of sexiness.

When grown women make this choice of their own volition that's one thing. When children who don't even understand the sex part of the equation are doing it for adults who have a screw loose and can't accept that a child doesn't have to look/behave like an adult on the prowl to be adorable and cute.
    I have read the threads, but more importantly I go to pageants. What the threads and the television show portray are the extremes. Just as I pointed out that there are extremes in everything. I have never seen a child "grind the floor like a hoe." I have never seen sexual behavior in any child at any pageant I have been to.

Also, the difference between your child being the prey of a pedophile at a pageant and at the other examples I used is that you leave your chlid alone with a priest, scout leader and coach. You don't leave your child alone at a pageant.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information