Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painted Babies: stories from a former child pageant queen

Default Painted Babies: stories from a former child pageant queen

Babies covered in bling, toddlers in tiaras, pre-teens in ball gowns and fake eye lashes... it's all part of the spectacle you see at a child beauty pageant. (And don't get us started on pageant moms.)
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p96k5TxWBCE[/YOUTUBE]
    YouTube - Painted babies 2! Brooke and Asia at 17 years

Baby beauty pageants came to wide public attention in 1996, after the murder of six-year-old pageant competitor JonBenet Ramsey and have developed a stigma. Critics accused the contests of sexualizing toddlers. But are they really bad for girls?

A recent documentary, "Painted Babies at 17" checks up on two teens who participated in child pageants (both girls were featured in an earlier documentary "Painted Babies"). Another young woman who says she's turned out perfectly well is Tiffany (left), a twenty-five year old former "painted baby" who happily agreed to speak with us about the competitions.

"Sounded Like Fun"
    Tiffany was seven when she entered her first pageant and thought her mother's idea of getting up on stage and smiling sounded like fun.

"We got there early and we see all these girls, decked out," she told us, "these porcelain doll looking chicks with crystal and diamonds all over them...I didn't even have a dress."

Click here to read about Tiffany's child pageant days and see a clip of the doc.

The one she found ("I like to call it the lamp shade dress," she says) was a short pink chiffon number with a hoop skirt, purchased at K-Mart. With a $20 lamp shade of a dress on and absolutely no experience, Tiffany took the stage at her first competition and walked away First Runner Up.

Beauty Boot Camp
    After winning the title of Little Miss Italian and a handful of preliminary competitions, Tiffany was headed to nationals. That's when pageant boot camp began.

She and her mother spent six months preparing for per pageant, hiring a seamstress and a modeling coach who trained her twice a week. "She taught me the signature ProAm move that involved a jacket -- I put the jacket on my shoulders without my arms in the sleeves then I'd bump it, catch up, slide it over my arms. There were all kinds of things you could do with a jacket. It was serious."

And everyone involved took it very seriously.

Learning the "Correct" Personality
    Tiffany's coach also taught her the correct way to strut and the official "pageant stance" (shoulders back, chest out, and the left leg crossed over the right topped with an ear-to ear-grin), but she also grilled her for the "interview process," where the girls' personalities are assessed.

The preteen spent weeks being quizzed until she became a small talk expert. "My mom would ask me random questions ... what's your favorite color, how many siblings do you have, who would you like to meet.... so I could carry on a conversation and practice giving more than one-word answers."

All the hard work paid off -- Tiffany often took the "personality" prize in subsequent pageants. It also both helped her and hurt her in school. "I had a lot of friends because I talked to everyone, but I got in trouble because I talked too much."

Fake Breasts and a Barbie Car
    When asked if the competitions sexualize children, Tiffany demurred.

"It was more about being cutesy than sexy. My mom put a big flower in my hair and I'd just priss around. You'd just get up there and strut, shake your butt." But she acknowledged that the girls often used "jellies," false breasts they'd use during swimsuit competition, along with spray tanning, fake eye lashes, and fake hair.

She also admitted that for some girls, losing or messing up were grounds for punishment, but that that her mother was never anything but supportive, shaking off losses with "Next time! Now let's go get ice cream!"

All in all, Tiffany thinks that the effects of competition depend on the competitor and her family. "Pageants for me helped with interviewing for jobs, being secure and social, and just learning how to be a girl." She also liked the prizes -- crowns, trophies, and her favorite, a pink Barbie electric car she won at age 9.

When asked if she'd put a daughter of her own in pageants, she replied, "I think I would... but I'd wait until 7 or 8 and ask them if they want to do it."

Painted Babies: Stories from a Former Child Pageant Queen - Lemondrop

OMG. The girl in that video singing, "I've Got a Brand New Boyfriend..." Is she supposed to be good????? That was almost embarrassing to watch.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

OMG I watched this a couple weeks ago.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

just waiting until the Psycho pageant moms get wind of this thread.......
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Bring them on!!! They're ever so much fun.

Every time I see the title of this forum I'm in hysterics.

I saw the first ten minutes of this show last night and it scared the shit out of me. Tasteless, disgusting, disturbing, all of it.

Elite Member

There was a show on the other night (didn't catch the title) on pagents. There was this one kid, really plump and unatractive 12 year old whose mother was 'getting her into pagents'. I felt so bad for her when she came in dead last. You know this shit will scar her for life. It's hard enough being a 12 year old girl without that.

That was scary...

Quote Originally Posted by scooter View Post
    There was a show on the other night (didn't catch the title) on pagents. There was this one kid, really plump and unatractive 12 year old whose mother was 'getting her into pagents'. I felt so bad for her when she came in dead last. You know this shit will scar her for life. It's hard enough being a 12 year old girl without that.
    I think I saw that one, too... the girl named "Madison". She was totally out of her league, and she knew it. She looked so uncomfortable up there and it was really almost embarrassing to even watch. Her mom should not have been encouraging her to do pageants.

not facially gifted?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Elite Member

'Encouraging her' isnt the term I would use.

Exchanging glances with the cunty bitches

I hope she knows she can't sing. How wretched.
    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

that doesn't matter. she'll get voice lessons! and be put on a diet! you can cover up all these faults by pouting and wiggling the ass at the judges!
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    I think I saw that one, too... the girl named "Madison". She was totally out of her league, and she knew it. She looked so uncomfortable up there and it was really almost embarrassing to even watch. Her mom should not have been encouraging her to do pageants.
    Actually it was Madison's choice to do the pageant. If you really watched the show, you would know that she had won a title there the previous year and was trying again. With that logic, if you put your child in a sport, and they are "totally out of their league" with the other players you should not encourage them to continue playing.

Elite Member

It certainly seemed to me that the Mother was entirely the one who was into pagents. Just because Mother entered Madison last year as well as this, it doesn't make it the kid's idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information