• 2 Post By Sleuth
  • 3 Post By A*O
  • 2 Post By Ravenna
  • 1 Post By Waterslide
  • 1 Post By Bluebonnet
  • 1 Post By pinkbunnyslippers

Thread: Cassowary Bird Attacks and Kills Florida Man

Default Cassowary Bird Attacks and Kills Florida Man

A cassowary, a rare emu-like bird, attacks and kills Florida man, officials say

By Deanna Hackney and Eliott C. McLaughlin, CNN
    Updated 5:40 AM ET, Mon April 15, 2019

(CNN)A cassowary, a giant bird with long claws on each foot, killed its owner after he fell in the backyard of his Gainesville, Florida, home, officials told CNN.

The bird's owner, Marvin Hajos -- who is 75, according to CNN affiliate WCJB -- made the initial call to 911 Friday about 10 a.m. ET. A second call came from another person at the scene who reported a medical emergency involving a large bird, said Lt. Joshua Crews of the Alachua County Sheriff's Office.

Hajos was transported to a nearby hospital, where he died, the lieutenant said. The cassowary remains on Hajos' property as authorities conduct an investigation into the attack, he said.

The owner was a breeder of the rare bird that is native to Australia and New Guinea, Alachua County Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Taylor said.

The death was an accident, officials said. It appears the man fell, and the cassowary attacked him after the fall, Taylor said.

The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission considers cassowaries Class II wildlife, meaning they pose a danger to humans and are subject to specific cage requirements. Owners must also have "substantial experience" with the animals, the commission says.

Class II is the same category as alligators, honey badgers and clouded leopards, while Class I includes more traditional predators such as a lions, tigers and bears.

The cassowary is a "large, flightless bird most closely related to the emu," according to the San Diego Zoo. It can run up to 31 mph through dense underbrush, jump almost 7 feet into the air and is a skilled swimmer, so it can deftly fend off threats, the zoo says.

They can grow more than 5 feet tall and the heaviest females can weigh more than 160 pounds, the zoo says. Males weigh up to 120 pounds.

"The cassowary is rightfully considered the most dangerous bird in the world!" the zoo says. "Each 3-toed foot has a dagger-like claw on the inner toe that is up to 4 inches (10 centimeters) long! The cassowary can slice open any predator or potential threat with a single swift kick."
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/14/us/ca...man/index.html

"AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Cassowaries are really weird-looking birds. They had a couple at the National Zoo, and we were looking forward to seeing them last week until we found out that the bird area was closed.

sputnik likes this.

I give wild animals all the space they need.
    Waterslide likes this.
    "To be [black] in this country and to be relativity conscious is to be in a rage almost all of the time." ~ James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Cassowaries are really weird-looking birds. They had a couple at the National Zoo, and we were looking forward to seeing them last week until we found out that the bird area was closed.

I read this a few days ago, tried to post it and finally gave up. Anybody ever watch Pixar's Up? I've watched it several times and that bird is KEVIN!!!!
    MohandasKGanja and Zee like this.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Don't tell me not to worry ... worrying is what I do best!

My brother volunteered at the local zoo as a teen and no idea what he was asked to do but to achieve that task he walked into the enclosure with the cassowaries. He is kinda like Sheldon so I’m guessing they didn’t explain it very well and he didn’t think about the dangers. Anywho luckily nothing happened but the staff were horrified. These birds are no joke.
    Brookie and Waterslide like this.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

A*O

Yes, they will disembowel you and then run away very fast. Laughing.
    Waterslide, Bluebonnet and BITTER like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

They remind me of a more colored version of an ostrich. Just the simple fact that they're included in the same "danger" class as gators and honey badgers would be enough for me to stay the hell away. Honey badger don't give a shit.
    "No. I love my grudges. I tend to them like little pets." -Madeline Martha Mackenzie

Spirituality is not religion. Religion divides people. Belief in something unites them.

Waterslide and Nevan like this.

Ostriches freak me out and these things are even worse somehow. They're just terrifying. I had to google what those things on their heads are because it looks like a weapon. The people who study these birds are not even sure what they use that for, but it's part of their skull. Also saw that cassowaries live to be 40-50 years and the one that killed this man is on the auction block. I wonder how the wildlife people caught it.
    Nevan likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Modern day velociraptors!

Last edited by Bluebonnet; April 24th, 2019 at 08:48 PM.
    Nevan likes this.

Does anyone remember this scene from “Tales from the Crypt”? This story totally reminds me of this scene;
    https://youtu.be/g4DtHDoR9jo

Edit: Sorry, the video didn’t post for some reason.
    Sleuth likes this.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Omg, that’s nightmare inducing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Modern day velociraptors!

NAILED IT!!!

Thread Information