Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Parents Billed 135K after 5 y/o Breaks Sculpture

Default Parents Billed 135K after 5 y/o Breaks Sculpture

Parents Face $132,000 Bill After Boy Breaks Sculpture

PHILADELPHIA (CBS/CNN) — A Kansas City couple is facing the expensive reality of the common phrase “you break it, you buy it” after their young son knocked over a $132,000 sculpture inside a community center.

Surveillance video captures the 5-year-old hugging a sculpture on display last month.

It then topples over on top of him and falls to the ground. After rushing to help, the boy’s mother, Sarah Goodman, soon learned the sculpture’s price tag. She said the incident happened during a wedding reception last month.
    “We heard a bunch of commotion and I thought, ‘Whose yelling at my son?’” Goodman explained. “This glass mosaic torso is laying on the ground and someone is following me around demanding my personal information.”

Following the incident, Goodman and her husband received a letter from an insurance company saying they were negligent for not monitoring their children. However, Goodman said the accident could have happened to any family. “My children are well supervised but all people get distracted,” she said.

The family has also raised concerns about the safety of the art display. Goodman said the sculpture should have had more protection and markings around it due to its expensive price tag. “It’s in the main walkway. Not a separate room. No plexiglass. Not protected. Not held down,” she said. “There was no border around it. There wasn’t even a sign around it that said, ‘Do not touch.’” Goodman added that she was disappointed that no ever asked if her son was okay after the sculpture nearly fell on top of him.

“He’s honestly been having bad dreams every night,” she said. “None of these people have ever once said, ‘How is Troy? How is your son holding up? Is his face okay?’”

A spokesperson with the City of Overland Park said the city filed an insurance claim. The insurance company then contacted the Goodman family. “It was a piece that was loaned to us that we are responsible for. That’s public money,” spokesperson Sean Reilly explained. “We are responsible to protect the public investment.”

Reilly defended the display at the Tomahawk Ridge Community Center and said the sculpture was never meant to be touched. “There’s a societal responsibility that you may not interact with it if it’s not designed for interaction,” he said.
    Goodman said the family still has not figured out how to deal with paying for the damage and has reached out to their homeowner’s insurance provider for assistance.

“$132,000 is completely astronomical,” she said. “We’ll see what the insurance company says and if they’re going to take it to lawyers. We don’t know.”

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/20...aks-sculpture/

if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

Goodman added that she was disappointed that no ever asked if her son was okay after the sculpture nearly fell on top of him.

“He’s honestly been having bad dreams every night,” she said. “None of these people have ever once said, ‘How is Troy? How is your son holding up? Is his face okay?’”
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I'd be like, well, that's it. The kid's going back.
    Beeyotch, sputnik and emkat like this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

lol, well I'm not exactly team snowflake here, because my first thought is, what is a 5 year old doing at a wedding, running around unsupervised? And I haven't seen the video of him molesting the statue. But I also have to agree that if a 5 year old could knock it over, maybe it wasn't properly secured considering its value. Could anyone have accidentally bumped into it and knocked it over? If so, there may have been some mutual negligence. If the kid had been severely injured, there might be a counter suit filed by the parents. A 5 year old would probably be considered below the "age of reason" and the statue an "attractive nuisance". Kind of like if you have a swimming pool with no fence and a little kid drowns in it.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

“My children are well supervised but all people get distracted,” she said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    lol, well I'm not exactly team snowflake here, because my first thought is, what is a 5 year old doing at a wedding, running around unsupervised? And I haven't seen the video of him molesting the statue. But I also have to agree that if a 5 year old could knock it over, maybe it wasn't properly secured considering its value. Could anyone have accidentally bumped into it and knocked it over? If so, there may have been some mutual negligence. If the kid had been severely injured, there might be a counter suit filed by the parents. A 5 year old would probably be considered below the "age of reason" and the statue an "attractive nuisance". Kind of like if you have a swimming pool with no fence and a little kid drowns in it.
    I've seen the video, and Mom was definitely not watching him, she was sitting on a couch chatting with someone and he was way across the room...
    emkat, C_is_for_Cookie and HWBL like this.

^Then they should definitely be responsible for *something* but yeah good luck getting $135k out of them when this precious statue was unsecured.

If I were a judge, I'd call something in the neighborhood of $10-20k a good lesson in supervise your kid and secure your valuable art, for both parties.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

Pony up and watch your damn kids next time.
    choozen1ne, HWBL, Mivvi21 and 2 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    ^Then they should definitely be responsible for *something* but yeah good luck getting $135k out of them when this precious statue was unsecured.

If I were a judge, I'd call something in the neighborhood of $10-20k a good lesson in supervise your kid and secure your valuable art, for both parties.
    I agree, the 135k is a little ridiculous, I wonder why they couldn't ask the parents pay to have the statue repaired rather than what it's allegedly worth (if they were to pay the full amount, does that mean the family gets to keep the statue?).

If you look at the video, the area is a small art gallery of sorts; there's art hanging on the walls, they have other items protected by glass boxes on pedestals, it looks like just the statue is not covered. Maybe they figured it would be too heavy for anyone to move...
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

Hit By Ban Bus!

• That was NOT adequately secured. This is, as said in the report, is a community center. I have worked in many community centers and if this was under my supervision who ever installed it is being fired. This is not a art gallery or some quiet business it is a active place with kids. How is it so diligent to have it fall over that easy? That is a hazard to the child not by the child.
    Last edited by Xenu; June 19th, 2018 at 03:15 PM.
    twitchy2.0 and lindsaywhit like this.

A*O

Who decided a crappy sculpture in a community centre is worth $135k?
    Ka-ching! Said the manager.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

I like the mother complaining that there wasn't a sign on it saying "Do Not Touch".

I was raised to understand from a very early age (younger than this kid) that if it isn't yours then you keep your hands to yourself, that not everything is a toy, not everywhere is a playground and that if I wanted to look at something I should use my eyes and not my hands. Mind you, I was also raised with the crazy idea that I hurt myself while doing something dumb that I knew I shouldn't be doing then it was my own damn fault.
    A*O, twitchy2.0, Beeyotch and 6 others like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    I've seen the video, and Mom was definitely not watching him, she was sitting on a couch chatting with someone and he was way across the room...
    She seemed pretty slow even to get over there after they both came crashing down. But it also did appear that they made no effort whatsoever to secure the statue so I definitely see negligence on both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    I'd be like, well, that's it. The kid's going back.
    The kid could probably be sold for a reasonable price, let's pick a figure at random, say... $135 000?
    Brookie likes this.

My mom was constantly barking "don't touch!" when I was a kid. But I always did.
    Everything Trixie said sounds right to me.

"A massive penis means never having to say you're sorry". Mo

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I know it's been said before, but we need the other eye roll back. Less amused, more 'over it'. This one is too "oh golly, you're silly"

Silver Member

"I heard a bunch of commotion and said Who is yelling at my son?" How about YOU WATCH your BRAT then no one has to yell at him. Mommy didnt exactly rush over to see what he did and just walked away. Looks like it happens all the time with this kid.
    Last edited by Duchess of Verona; June 19th, 2018 at 01:10 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information