Thread: Custody at Risk After 'Toddlers & Tiaras' Star Wears Controversial Outfit

Default Custody at Risk After 'Toddlers & Tiaras' Star Wears Controversial Outfit

Custody at Risk After 'Toddlers & Tiaras' Star Wears Controversial Outfit

The woman who dressed her young daughter as Dolly Parton - complete with a padded bra and sculpting underwear - for a child beauty pageant that aired on TLC's "Toddlers & Tiaras" could lose custody of the girl after her estranged husband claimed she sexually exploited their daughter by allowing her to dress so provocatively.
    (Image Credit: TLC)Little Maddy Verst's appearance in the costume on an episode of the controversial TLC program sparked a firestorm of criticism against her mother, Lindsay.
    Her father, Bill Verst, has asked a Kentucky court to grant him sole custody of his daughter, who is now 6.
    During a court proceeding Saturday, a judge threw reporters out of the courtroom, closed the hearing and placed a gag order on mother Lindsay Jackson. The judge also imposed a ban on any pageant activity for Maddy or her mother for the duration of the trial.
    A court-appointed psychologist has sided with Maddy's father, condemning the Parton costume and recommending that a judge make Verst the girl's sole custodial parent.
    Jackson said the costume was never meant to be sexual and that she shouldn't be at risk of losing her daughter.
    If the judge grants Verst's petition because Maddy did pageants with her mother, "then that opens the door for any parent to challenge anybody on any activity that a kid does, period," Jackson told FOXNews.com.
    Jackson dressed her daughter herself in the Dolly Parton costume, telling the TLC show's cameras, "When she wears the fake boobs and the fake butt, it's just like an added extra bonus and it's really funny when she comes out on stage and everybody thinks it's hysterical."
    Not everybody thought it was hysterical, however. Some online commenters were quick to express their disgust for the costume and for the perceived sexualization of little girls on the show.
    Read more: Outrage when Maddy wears catsuit, padded buttocks on show.
    It's not the first time a pageant mother has come under fire on the show.
    Wendy Dickey was condemned for dressing her 3-year-old daughter, Paisley, in a racy costume that mimicked the outfit worn by Julia Roberts' prostitute character from the movie "Pretty Woman."
    The costume consisted of a fitted, skin-baring white blouse, tight blue mini-skirt and thigh-high, shiny black boots. Paisley wore it all - complete with a blond wig, which Roberts' prostitute character also wore - and critics and children's advocates erupted in outrage.
    The court proceedings in Maddy's custody case resume Aug. 31.

Custody at Risk After 'Toddlers & Tiaras' Star Wears Controversial Outfit | ABC News Blogs - Yahoo!

Wow.....Not that I'm surprised this has happened, but compared to what other kids have worn at those pageants, this was tame!!
    I'm thinking the dad is being a jackass, and only using this as a weapon against this woman.

I am really surprised though that the court order shrink sided with the father!

I don't understand why he recommended something so severe. Giving the father SOLE custody??
    Can't they just ban the mom from putting her in pageants?

I'm at a loss. I think it's crazy the way some of the parents dress their kids in barely anything, but to take her daughter away for that outfit??

Oh, and the Paisley "Pretty Woman" outfit was NOT that bad. Yes, the idea of it was, but it wasn't slut skimpy or showing tons of skin like the majority of others. When I get back home later, I'll find the picture of that, and the one outfit that I am thinking of that was totally NOT appropriate for even an adult!

Here is Maddy in full Dolly:

Here's Paisley as a hooked up JR:

What about Mia as Madonna??

I'll find the really bad ones later...I gotta get going for now!
    ~Madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push.

Maybe there's more to the decision than just the outfit?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^I think there is probably more to this than the outfits, too. It could be because I've watched a few of the episodes in the past week and almost all of these children strike me as feral little monsters. If they act like they were raised in a barn, maybe there's something to it. HBBC is an angel compared to some of these children.

Quote Originally Posted by gardenwitch View Post

I'll find the really bad ones later...I gotta get going for now!
    I try not to be shocked by anything that happens on that show, but this outfit? I remember when grown adults were giving fellow grown adult Madonna crap for wearing this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Oh god, Mia Madonna. Mia was the kid who kept eating her boogers.

If the judge watched Toddlers he'd know the Dolly outfit is one of the tamer creations these people have come up with. Not good, mind you...but not the worst I've seen on there.

Thread Information