Thread: Racism row in New Zealand with beauty queen accused of 'not looking Indian enough'

Default Racism row in New Zealand with beauty queen accused of 'not looking Indian enough'

Her stunning looks won her a coveted title in New Zealand's Miss India contest.
    But Jacinta Lal, 21, was today at the centre of a huge row after she was accused of not looking Indian enough.
    The blue-eyed blonde, whose father is Fijian-Indian and mother a New Zealander, was booed by spectators when she won the Wellington leg of the MissIndiaNZ contest.

Row: Jacinta Lal raised eyebrows at the Wellington leg of the MissIndiaNZ contest where some of the audience accused her of not being Indian enough
    Organisers later confirmed that there had been 'two or three' complaints about Miss Lal's eligibility.

The row comes just days after the Indian government protested to New Zealand about alleged racial slurs by TV host Paul Henry.
    Miss Lal told the New Zealand Herald she had heard people say that she was not 'Indian-looking enough to win the pageant'.
    'But despite those small-minded people that made those comments, there were many Indians who encouraged me to enter.
    'So just because some narrow-minded people make a comment like that we can't assume that all Indians think the same way.
    'There is no difference between what Paul Henry is saying and what those select few Indians were saying. They are all wrong and should not say things like that...'

Miss Lal (left) is one of two runners-up in the Miss India contest: She branded her critics 'narrow-minded'

Organiser Dharmesh Parikh said that he had also had complaints when Miss Lal took part in the MissIndiaNZ finals in Auckland in August and became one of two runners-up.
    'People said: "Oh my God look at this blonde girl coming to Miss IndiaNZ, what is she doing here?," he said.
    'Whoever these people are, they are a very small part of it.
    'This event is called Miss IndiaNZ, with an N-Z, and I strongly emphasise that this event is not an Indian event, it is a Kiwi-Indian event, so you must have New Zealand residency, New Zealand citizenship and you must have some sort of Indian background.'
    'It is a little bit sad, but it is unfortunate for Jacinta as well because she should be accepted into this Indian world as well because she is a beautiful Indian girl.'

Read more: Indian beauty queen Jacinta Lal accused of 'not looking Indian' | Mail Online

India would give its left nut to make all its girls blonde/blue.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cg6OoiNeXVc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHNXFdSk4H4&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

It's always interesting to see how the blend of two cultures turns out.

My brother is blond-haired and blue-eyed, and his wife is Indian. Our niece, however, has most of my SIL's features in terms of eye, hair, and skin color.

fgg

^aren't dark features/traits/genes usually dominant so not surprising, right?

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    That's what I normally think. However, I'm typical western-European-descended while my wife is a Latina. Our daughter resembles my wife, with brown eyes, and beautiful olive-toned skin. Even similar facial features.

My son, though, is very fair-skinned with bright blue eyes. It seems like my genes totally gave way on one child and dominated on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    People are not plants. Dominance/Recessive genes do exist but they are not 100% accurate predictors as in the case of plants.

Human genetics is extremely complex. The process that our DNA goes through during reproduction in order to produce a new set of DNA involves a lot of crossing over.

Result: lots of unique mixes! A light parent with a dark parent can have a light child.
    EDIT TO RESULT: The crossing over that occurs applies to all our genes including those for eye colour etc.

Signed,
    Someone with a biology degree
    Last edited by Snoopy; November 25th, 2010 at 01:28 AM.

SVZ

Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy View Post
    People are not plants. Dominance/Recessive genes do exist but they are not 100% accurate predictors as in the case of plants.

Human genetics is extremely complex. The process that our DNA goes through during reproduction in order to produce a new set of DNA involves a lot of crossing over.

Result: lots of unique mixes! A light parent with a dark parent can have a light child.

Signed,
    Someone with a biology degree
    also isn't the genetics behind eye color they teach in high school completely wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by SVZ View Post
    also isn't the genetics behind eye color they teach in high school completely wrong?
    They are trying to explain dominance/ recessive genes. These do exist.
    There is just a lot more to the story for humans. Again, we are not as simple to predict as plants. Or fruit flies. Our DNA is much longer and more complex. and cross over can happen anywhere along the 2 strands of DNA from each parent. As a result, any number of permutations can arise so any eye colour can pop up depending on genetic history.

It's just more complex than Dominance + Recessiveness. These can be indicators but not predictors of an outcome.

Thread Information