Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anger as white woman wins black college beauty pageant

Default Anger as white woman wins black college beauty pageant

The first non-black winner of a beauty pageant at Hampton University has faced a walkout by spectators angry that a white woman was crowned Homecoming Queen.

Nikole Churchill, 22, won the contest at the college town in southern Virginia, but while she was all smiles, not everyone in the community was happy about the victory, the Times reports.
    As well as the walkout, Miss Churchill had to contend with scowls, rather than the traditional sunny smiles, when she posed for a portrait with the runners up. All nine of the other contestants in the competition were black.

The following day Miss Churchill was heckled at a college football game and a previous Miss Hampton University said she was "very shocked" there was a white winner. "We've never had one before," Patrece Parson said.
    In response, Miss Churchill, whose father is from Guam, wrote an open letter to President Barack Obama, saying: "I feel as though you could relate to my situation.
    "I am sad to say that my crowning was not widely accepted . . . the true reason for the disapproval was because of the colour of my skin.
    "I am not African-American."
    The letter also caused offence, with Brittany Riddock, a second-year student, telling The Washington Post there was "no comparison between a black man becoming President and a white woman winning a beauty pageant at a black school".
    Hampton University, at the mouth of Chesapeake Bay, is one of more than 80 historically black colleges in the US whose student populations are only gradually coming to reflect the diversity they exist to promote, largely because non-blacks have been slow to apply to them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...y-pageant.html

Holy shit, if looks could kill.

those other bitches are racist
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Integration goes both ways. She attends a Historically Black College.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I wonder on what basis she won, because she's not the prettiest one in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I wonder on what basis she won, because she's not the prettiest one in the picture.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Maybe it was based on height??
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Well, I'm just sayin'...I know they sometimes have talent and congeniality and Q&A parts of the pageant, but it is still fundamentally a beauty pageant, let's not fool ourselves.

Well, I'm just sayin'...I know they sometimes have talent and congeniality and Q&A parts of the pageant, but it is still fundamentally a beauty pageant, let's not fool ourselves.
    Maybe the judges wanted a fairly attractive person to win with a not so big booty??
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

IT'S JAYLA!!!!

If it was a "black beauty pageant" rather then a "beauty pageant" at a mostly black college I might be able to se what the fuss was about.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Doesn't the whole student body vote?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I think all of those girls in the picture are prettier than her.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Gold Member

I think that picture is a "Kodak" moment! Can I just say that in the year 2009 it's sad that women are still entering such reductive competitions that promote an ideal aesthetic that women are supposed to adhere too? *grumble and goes back to reading fashion mags*

She's actually half white, half asian. I think that if she attends the college, she can compete, plain and simple. Though I do think trying to get Obama involved is a bit much.

washingtonpost.com

HAMPTON, Va. -- Nikole Churchill, a tall, thin woman with long, dark hair, was named homecoming queen at historically black Hampton University last week. The next day, she appeared with her court at the football game against Howard University, another historically black school.

All this would be unremarkable except that Churchill is the first homecoming queen at Hampton who is not black. That apparently did not sit well with a handful of people at the game, who heckled the senior nursing major.

This bit of unpleasantness, along with similar comments online, might have passed unnoticed except for what Churchill did next. She posted a public letter to President Obama on a Web site asking him to visit the campus and help with her predicament.

"I feel as though you could relate to my situation," wrote Churchill, 22, who grew up in Hawaii and performed a hula as her beauty pageant talent. "I am hoping that perhaps you would be able to make an appearance to my campus, Hampton University, so that my fellow Hamptonians can stop focusing so much on the color of my skin and doubting my abilities to represent" the school.

Obama hasn't responded, but the school, established in 1868 to educate freed slaves, has become embroiled in a discussion about race, the role of historically black colleges and alternatives to mainstream definitions of beauty.

Even those who had supported Churchill when she was crowned were angered and confused by her letter to Obama. Student body President Matthew Washington, 20, said he wishes she had let him know about her concerns before writing the president.
    ad_icon

"There are always color issues: The light-skin/dark-skin thing. The long-hair/short-hair issue. But to issue a blanket statement like that?" said Washington, a senior economics major from Los Angeles. "It just really put the university in a negative light."

The comparisons Churchill made between herself and Obama also angered some students: "We all had to go through a lot more racial intolerance than what she had to in a pageant," said Brittany Riddock, 19, a sophomore public relations major from Atlanta. "There is no comparison at all between a black man becoming president and a white woman winning a beauty pageant at a black school."

By Monday evening, Churchill found herself standing alone at the front of the student center theater, looking out at dozens of Hampton students who wanted to vent their frustrations and hear her explanation for the letter. This was her first introduction to many of the student leaders there. Churchill attends Hampton's satellite campus in Virginia Beach, a handful of classrooms on the 10th floor of a high-rise, where about 90 students study nursing and hotel management or take education-certification classes.

Churchill, who has a white mother and an Asian father, explained how she was hurt by the comments hurled online and at the game and that she couldn't believe she was being judged by the color of her skin, according to several students who were at the meeting. (Churchill did not respond to messages from a reporter via Facebook.) She told them she thought that reaching out to Obama would help the situation.

The debate encapsulates some of the changes sweeping across the campuses of historically black colleges. These schools still produce a disproportionate number of black college graduates, and they retain their social missions to bring higher education to poor students and those from deprived backgrounds. But they have been changing in ways that often carry a heavy symbolic weight: for instance, when Grambling fielded its first white quarterback, and that about half of Southern University Law Center graduates are white.

When the Hampton beauty pageant began that Friday night, the 10 contestants came swirling onto the wooden stage at Ogden Hall in black leotards, flowing skirts and coin-covered scarves, performing an Arabian-themed dance for the crowd of several hundred people.
    [article cnt'd at site]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information