Thread: At 22 months, pageant winner is a professional

Default At 22 months, pageant winner is a professional

Some kids like to bang pots and pans on the floor. Cruz Rodriguez prefers playing with his eight tall trophies and his two crowns -- a golden one encrusted with jewels and another that's a deep red velvet bordered with fake ermine.

At 22 months, Cruz is already a veteran of several beauty pageants, with several more lined up. He's a model who has appeared in winter togs for The Children's Place and is pictured on the box for Crayola's TaDoodles Drop & See toy.
    In January, he'll be getting more exposure as one of the tots profiled on "Toddlers & Tiaras," the show that explores the world of children's pageants for The Learning Channel. In an industry that is more girl-centered, Cruz will be one of the first boys highlighted.
    Two brothers were the first boys profiled on the show in its second-season premiere. Cruz will appear in the second season's 14th show, scheduled for an early January airing.
    "Toddlers & Tiaras" co-executive producer Suzanne Pate said it's not that hard to find boys in pageants, but it's hard to find boys who do as much to prepare for them as girls do.
    "When we find boys whose families are serious and do a lot of prep work, we're interested. The Rodriguez tape showed very elaborate costumes and lots of practicing," Pate said.
    Cruz's mother, Nicole, 37, said the gene for pomp and pageantry appears to run in her family. Her older son, 11-year-old sixth-grader Lateif Jowers-Killingsworth, also modeled and was in pageants when he was younger, but retired when he began school.
    Then Cruz came along. From birth, he had an angelic face and impish personality that spurred his mother to share him with the world.
    "People would come up to me, mistaking him for a girl, and tell me that my little girl was so beautiful and I should get her into modeling. I could only imagine how he would stand out as a boy," said Rodriguez, who is growing her son's curls long so he can keep that girly look.
    At 2 months old, Cruz appeared in his first local pageant, the Sunburst Pageant held at the Burlington Center mall. There, he won for best attire in his age group.

Next, his mother signed him with a Cherry Hill modeling agency, leading to his Children's Place and Crayola gigs. In Ocean City last October, he was entered in his second pageant, Little Miss Hemisphere, and was named the overall Infant Baby Hemisphere Supreme winner plus took top honors for hair, eyes and attire. He was also named its Earth Baby after charming judges with his flower costume.
    Most of the prizes he won in Ocean City were small -- $50 for Earth Baby, $25 for each lesser award -- but he did win a $1,000 scholarship as a grand prize.
    His third pageant, the local Sunburst 2009 edition held at Voorhees Town Center this past weekend, brought no cash but more recognition. Cruz was the overall winner and was also honored for best hair, most photogenic and best attire.
    It was while registering for the Miss Glitz Pageant in Tampa on Oct. 4, that Rodriguez indicated her interest in having Cruz profiled on "Toddlers & Tiaras."
    She submitted a video of Cruz dancing to the music from the movie "Happy Feet," playing basketball, doing bed flips and even saying a few words.
    "They liked his energy," said Rodriguez, a Berlin Borough native who is a singer and licensed practical nurse.
    Said "Toddlers & Tiaras" producer Pate: "For his age, he has a really good personality and some stage presence. His mom seems to be a serious pageant mom."
    The show has a large following among the pageant community and those riveted by the kiddie pageant phenomenon.
    "It's a cult favorite, part of that train-wreck TV you don't want to turn away from," Pate said.
    The Burbank, Calif.-based show will send a crew to the Rodriguezes' Gloucester Township home for two days of filming next week. The crew will then join the family in Tampa on Oct. 4 to capture all the pageant color.
    Cruz's dad, Fabian, 39, who performs as a tribute artist, enjoys the spectacle as much as the boy's mom does and attends every pageant.

Although Miss Glitz features a $10,000 award, most pageants cost contestants more than they win.
    Each entrance fee runs the Rodriguezes about $300. Then there are professional photos and costumes to pay for. Cruz gets a new tuxedo and shoes for every pageant, and must appear in other attire. For one pageant, he'll be a penguin and a rabbit.
    With travel and hotel costs, pageants can run the family $1,000 or more, Nicole Rodriguez said.
    In November, Cruz will compete in the Naturally Elegant and Simple Pageant in Connecticut for a $3,000 bond, a laptop computer and other prizes.
    "I'm very excited for Cruz. I'm going to stick with this for a long as this ride takes him," Rodriguez said.
    Next, his mother signed him with a Cherry Hill modeling agency, leading to his Children's Place and Crayola gigs. In Ocean City last October, he was entered in his second pageant, Little Miss Hemisphere, and was named the overall Infant Baby Hemisphere Supreme winner plus took top honors for hair, eyes and attire. He was also named its Earth Baby after charming judges with his flower costume.
    Most of the prizes he won in Ocean City were small -- $50 for Earth Baby, $25 for each lesser award -- but he did win a $1,000 scholarship as a grand prize.
    His third pageant, the local Sunburst 2009 edition held at Voorhees Town Center this past weekend, brought no cash but more recognition. Cruz was the overall winner and was also honored for best hair, most photogenic and best attire.
    It was while registering for the Miss Glitz Pageant in Tampa on Oct. 4, that Rodriguez indicated her interest in having Cruz profiled on "Toddlers & Tiaras."
    She submitted a video of Cruz dancing to the music from the movie "Happy Feet," playing basketball, doing bed flips and even saying a few words.
    "They liked his energy," said Rodriguez, a Berlin Borough native who is a singer and licensed practical nurse.
    Said "Toddlers & Tiaras" producer Pate: "For his age, he has a really good personality and some stage presence. His mom seems to be a serious pageant mom."
    The show has a large following among the pageant community and those riveted by the kiddie pageant phenomenon.
    "It's a cult favorite, part of that train-wreck TV you don't want to turn away from," Pate said.
    The Burbank, Calif.-based show will send a crew to the Rodriguezes' Gloucester Township home for two days of filming next week. The crew will then join the family in Tampa on Oct. 4 to capture all the pageant color.
    Cruz's dad, Fabian, 39, who performs as a tribute artist, enjoys the spectacle as much as the boy's mom does and attends every pageant.
    Although Miss Glitz features a $10,000 award, most pageants cost contestants more than they win.
    Each entrance fee runs the Rodriguezes about $300. Then there are professional photos and costumes to pay for. Cruz gets a new tuxedo and shoes for every pageant, and must appear in other attire. For one pageant, he'll be a penguin and a rabbit.
    With travel and hotel costs, pageants can run the family $1,000 or more, Nicole Rodriguez said.
    In November, Cruz will compete in the Naturally Elegant and Simple Pageant in Connecticut for a $3,000 bond, a laptop computer and other prizes.
    "I'm very excited for Cruz. I'm going to stick with this for a long as this ride takes him," Rodriguez said.

Pageant kid | CourierPostOnline.com | Burlington, Camden and Gloucester Counties South Jersey News | Courier-Post

$10000 award. Ok I need to get my daughter and race to the nearest pageant...

'Her older son, 11-year-old sixth-grader Lateif Jowers-Killingsworth'

wow.. what a name..

Has to come with a phonetic spelling first day of school,...

Because God forbids that it's about what the kid wants

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

dumb.

i wonder if he wears flippers? LOL
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Gold Member

He's cute minus his hair that looks like mine before i've brushed it but he should be having fun! Mind you if whoring your kid is so profitable maybe I should go and get pregnant

Thread Information