Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: Woman, unable to eat hors d'oeuvres, sues nephew

Both aunt and nephew are being interviewed on the Today show this morning...

Something doesn't add up. She didn't have health insurance? She seems to live a pretty nice life in New York. This happened four years ago and she left the courthouse with a removable cast STILL on her wrist, she's claiming to have over $100,000 in medical bills and two surgeries. Yet she also claimed that after the boy broke her wrist she didn't let on she was hurt and continued with the party "so he wouldn't be upset."

When I broke my wrist, there is NO way I could've hidden it and gone about my day. It was even a complicated break, but once it was set and healed in a cast, it's perfectly fine today. What the hell kind of a break allows her to continue about a kid's birthday party with no one the wiser, but also requires two surgeries and her to still be wearing a cast four years later? She already lost, but I wonder if the opposing lawyers investigated anything about a pre-existing condition or whether she really broke her wrist when she said she did.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Maybe she was unemployed at the time and had a lapse in medical coverage?

When my teenage son broke his wrist after a fall at school, he insisted it didn't hurt too badly and didn't want to come home. It was the school nurse who told me to get an x-ray as the same type of fall happened to her and she figured it was just a sprain since she still had movement and, although painful, it wasn't excruciatingly so. She didn't find out until 2 weeks later, when continued pain made her seek medical care, that she did in fact have a fracture and was quite surprised. I took my son to urgent care and sure enough: fracture.

The only thing I can figure is that there was some provision in the party host's homeowners insurance that required her seek a judgment against the person who injured her before the insurance kicked in - which might explain why there was no summary judgment granted. No one probably ever thought it would get to trial.
    Shinola likes this.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

the video of the interview won't post, it's here:

'Worst aunt ever': Suing my nephew was 'just a technicality' - TODAY.com

The “Worst Aunt Ever” And Her Nephew Went On “Today” To Let Everyone Know That They’re Good

October 15, 2015 / Posted by: MichaelK

A couple of days ago, Jennifer Connell of NYC was declared the “Worst Aunt Ever” and that made me say, “Pfft,” to myself. Obviously, everyone hasn’t heard of the tia who made me listen to the Black Eyed Peas during a 2-hour car ride (IN TRAFFIC!). Now that is a true cold-hearted move.

Aunt Jen instantly became Pimp Mama Kris’ greedy hero of the year when she sued her now 12-year-old nephew Sean Taras for the injuries she got from him knocking her ass over during a hug at his 8th birthday party. Aunt Jen sued Sean for $127,000. She needs the cash to pay the medical bills that are adding up from her two wrist surgeries. The jury declared that Sean isn’t liable and they awarded Aunt Jen a total of NOTHING. After the quick trial, Aunt Jen’s lawyer released a statement where he asked Satan to stop offering her the position of Hell’s ambassador on earth and told everyone to stop calling her a monster.

Aunt Jen’s lawyer explained that her suing her nephew was all just a technicality. Sean’s dad’s homeowner’s insurance offered her only $1 for her injuries. In the state of Connecticut, you can’t directly sue the homeowner’s insurance, so you have to sue the person to get the insurance to pay up. Aunt Jen continued to show everyone that she’s not the Auntie-Christ by going on Today this morning with her nephew. Aunt Jen explained the situation and said that she loves Sean. Sean said that his auntie would never do anything to hurt his family as she looked at him like, “Yeah, you better not talk any trash or I’m dragging you back to court for SLANDER!” No, they love each other.

And that’s that….until NBC reboots “The Slap” as “The Hug” and casts Holly Hunter as Aunt Jen and Ronan Farrow (he’ll have to walk around on his knees) as Nephew Sean.

Tags: Real People

Dlisted | The “Worst Aunt Ever” And Her Nephew Went On “Today” To Let Everyone Know That They’re Good
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Eh, I agree the lawsuit was stupid, but having worked in insurance claims for several years, I get it. The homeowner's insurance company denied liability based on the law greys cited. The parents weren't liable and the kid couldn't be held liable because he was under the "age of reason" and couldn't be expected to understand that his actions might injure her. So here's poor Auntie Jen with all these medical bills and of course, since it wasn't her fault, somebody must pay! She's one of those people who can't accept that sometimes, shit happens. Just because you're injured doesn't always mean you can collect. It's basic tort law--if there's no negligence, there's no liability and you don't have a case. She was probably hoping the insurance company would settle to avoid the cost of going to court. But since she wanted over $100k, they said hell no lady, it'll be cheaper to defend this case than to buy you off.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

*cough*socializedhealthcarewouldpreventthiskindofh orseshitmaybe?idon'tknowjustthrowingitoutthere*cou gh*
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Some 30 years ago,my toddler niece spitted out tangerine pits at my name day party.Next morning i got up to clean the mess and fell down carrying a large ,heavy crystal bowl.I broke 3 bones in my left foot,plus a deep disgusting cut.I had to CRAWL for 2 months to take care of two kids and the house.I am seriously thinking of suing her ass.
    greysfang, Trixie, SHELLEE and 5 others like this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

^^Of course, my first thought, why didn't her parents or any other adult stop her from spitting the seeds?
    effie2 and Lalasnake like this.

Sue them too.
    effie2 and Lalasnake like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Lots of people around,we had a blast..kids running,dancing..who would notice a kiddie spitting seeds?it was just bound to happen.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I broke a bone in my foot because of my kids leaving their Hot Wheels all over the place. I stepped on one in the middle of the night and cracked a bone. It still aches a bit when I'm standing out in the cold too long. Do you think i could sue myself for negligence for not making sure they put all their toys away before I walked around in the middle of the night without turning a light on? Homeowner's insurance should pay for that, right? Actually back then it was renter's insurance.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    Well - if I was unable to hold a plate that contained some good shrimp toast, I would sue too.
    I have been dying for shrimp toast. The Chinese restaurants on the west coast don't serve it. I look at every place we pass. No luck.I just have to settled for a good scallion pancake. I miss shrimp toast.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I broke a bone in my foot because of my kids leaving their Hot Wheels all over the place. I stepped on one in the middle of the night and cracked a bone. It still aches a bit when I'm standing out in the cold too long. Do you think i could sue myself for negligence for not making sure they put all their toys away before I walked around in the middle of the night without turning a light on? Homeowner's insurance should pay for that, right? Actually back then it was renter's insurance.
    I broke my foot when I lived in LA. I fell off a curb when I left a restaurant in LA. It still hurts on occasion. The orthopod told me that it would probably always be that way. The metatarsal bones in the foot are notoriously hard to heal.

I had insurance at the time. I was able to go to the best doctors, but when it came time for the insurance to pay the claims the doctors submitted, the insurance company dragged their feet. They contacted the city, the restaurant, the owner of the building, etc. It took over a year to pay and I was lucky because the doctors office worked with me. I didn't have to pay out of pocket. It was almost $5000. Insurance companies look for any loophole to not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I broke my foot when I lived in LA. I fell off a curb when I left a restaurant in LA. It still hurts on occasion. The orthopod told me that it would probably always be that way. The metatarsal bones in the foot are notoriously hard to heal.

I had insurance at the time. I was able to go to the best doctors, but when it came time for the insurance to pay the claims the doctors submitted, the insurance company dragged their feet. They contacted the city, the restaurant, the owner of the building, etc. It took over a year to pay and I was lucky because the doctors office worked with me. I didn't have to pay out of pocket. It was almost $5000. Insurance companies look for any loophole to not pay.
    Yep, some of them do. What they did was wrong. If you're paying them a premium, that's a contract. They should pay your bills, and if they think another party is responsible, they can go after them for re-payment. It's like if you have a car accident, even if it's someone else's fault, you can choose to go through your own collision coverage, and let your insurance company collect from the other party. If you paid a deductible, they should collect that too, and reimburse you.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

It occurs to me that the Lego company potentially owes everyone millions of dollars from injuries...
    C_is_for_Cookie and holly like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information