Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: What Happened to Sandra Bland, a Black Woman Who Died in Jail Monday?

I just saw the video last night. Holy shit how does this happen? Pulled over for failure to signal is bad enough but the way this cop was so on this ego trip and threatening this woman is terrifying and now because he took her into custody she is dead. How many more?
    HWBL likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

They can basically do whatever they want. I've seen the shy first hand to myself and others, unless you have a video or enough money for an attorney to fight for you, you are sol. Everyone just wants to automatically assume that you must be in the wrong to even get pulled over so you just deserve whatever happens.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

^ Yep. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to blame the victim here at all, but the first thing you DON'T do if you're pulled over in a minor traffic stop is argue with the cop. One mouthy remark and this is what it can turn into. As soon as you get an attitude, not only is it an automatic ticket but obviously, it can escalate into something much, much worse with someone who has all the power and at that moment, is holding all the cards.
    czb likes this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

It's wrong and it needs to change.
    stef likes this.

When you get pulled over for something trivial, I can see why you would argue. This cop is on a power trip. Telling her to put out her cigarette? What is that bullshit about? How is that his place or any of his fucking concern? I was pulled over by a cheesy, mustachioed, mirrored aviator glasses, motorcycle cop. They are just known for issuing gobs of minor traffic violations tickets. There is no talking your way out of anything. I talked to the guy like he was an idiot. You can give me a ticket, but I don't owe you on ounce of courtesy or respect. No one should end up dead or in jail over this sort of thing.
    HWBL, ManxMouse, stef and 1 others like this.

I agree it needs to change, but for now it's the reality. These kind of injustices happen every day. It's a shame that someone has to die for them to get national attention.

We had a local case recently where a woman (50-something and white) was pulled over for speeding on a dark country road. Rather than pull over, she put her flashers on and drove to a lighted parking lot with the cop traveling behind her. She explained she was concerned for her safety since there have been cases of police impersonation in the area. She said the cop started yelling at her, then cuffed her, took her to jail and she was charged with a felony resisting arrest. After lots of local press and public outcry, the charges were dropped but she still had to go through the humiliation and fear that a felony conviction would cost her her job, not to mention probably at least a couple grand in attorney costs.

eta @ Kris: and sorry, but I wouldn't argue. Not worth it. Obviously, people do end up dead or in jail on trumped up charges over shit like this. I'd rather swallow my pride and get out of there safely. If the cop is a macho bully, I don't want to give him any excuse to fuck up my life.
    sputnik, czb and Ravenna like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

czb

^^^ what that woman did was smart. can't believe she went through that.

i personally would not backtalk a cop. it's not worth it. and i have been pulled over for failing to signal a lane change. another time, i was pulled over because i didn't put the new registration sticker on my license plate. that happened in a tiny town in marin. because i was nice to the cop and had the proof of registration, he just put the sticker on for me and waved me off. if i had backtalked him, he probaby would've given me a ticket. just sayin'.

^ I know! I followed it in the papers because I thought it was so outrageous. She and her attorney were really smart getting the press involved too. The local sheriff and prosecutor defended the officer's actions at first but backed down pretty quick. The woman was a nurse and was afraid she would lose her professional license with a felony on her record. Such bullshit. The thing is, she did what the local police had recommended after a woman was raped in a cop impersonation case here several years ago, then gets arrested for it.

czb

i'm just impressed she was smart enough to drive to a safe location with hazards on. that's the kind of thing i would probably forget to do because i was flustered .... then i would kick myself later for not being smarter.

It's terrifying that we find ourselves saying "don't back talk a cop" like we're fucking children in day care.
    KrisNine, gas_chick and stef like this.

The people who are comparing the mugshots are saying that the police didn't give her one when they first booked her. The mugshot does show someone who has been assaulted with a swollen face... If, and I pray for the sake of all that's peaceful and her family this wasn't taken postmortem...but it is Texas?? This woman did not sound like she was backing down from her day in court or having her say! Someone shut her up
    HWBL likes this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

czb

^^^ agree - but i don't see what back-talking gets you in the end.

@JKM

It doesn't get you jack shit but it doesn't matter. We should not live in fear of those that are supposedly sworn to uphold the law and according to most on Facebook they supposedly uphold our constitutional rights, lol.

I was assaulted by a constable as a minor and I watched 4 of them kick the ever living shit out of my uncle while he was hog tied so I'm biased as fuck.

also acting all nice or mouthing off shouldn't get you anywhere, none of that should matter. Nothing should matter other than the facts of the situation. Did you change lanes without a signal, here's your ticket or warning. Did you change lanes without a signal and call me shit snarling cunt, here's your ticket or warning.
    Last edited by Just Kill Me; July 23rd, 2015 at 01:16 PM. Reason: The more I think about this.
    HWBL and Snarker like this.

Okay...how did she get marijuana while in custody if she was in a single cell by herself?

Sandra Bland, the black woman found hanging dead in a Texas jail days after a traffic stop, smoked or possibly swallowed a large amount of marijuana while in custody, according to her family’s attorney.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    It doesn't get you jack shit but it doesn't matter. We should not live in fear of those that are supposedly sworn to uphold the law and according to most on Facebook they supposedly uphold our constitutional rights, lol.

I was assaulted by a constable as a minor and I watched 4 of them kick the ever living shit out of my uncle while he was hog tied so I'm biased as fuck.

also acting all nice or mouthing off shouldn't get you anywhere, none of that should matter. Nothing should matter other than the facts of the situation. Did you change lanes without a signal, here's your ticket or warning. Did you change lanes without a signal and call me shit snarling cunt, here's your ticket or warning.
    i agree that we should not live in fear. what happened to you is awful. nothing like that ever happened to me so i have a different POV. i don't live in fear and assume that if i get pulled over i will get a ticket. i just want to get out of the situation as soon as possible so don't say anything. a few times that has definitely gotten me out of a citation but mostly it doesn't.

and i'm sure i would have a different POV if i was not causcasian. so my opinion probably doesn't have as much weight here as others.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information