Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: We In Danger, Girl, Part I: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch

Our city has mandatory composting. They have inspectors that check the loads of garbage and the waste management company gets fined if there is compostable material in there.

Our mayor is a dope smoking, anti-car bike rider, and wants the city to be the world's greenest city by 2020. I'm not a huge fan of the bike lanes because a lot of cyclists don't use them and use the road instead, even though the bike lane is right next to them, but I do like the recycling and composting stuff.

On a positive note, a high school kid has invented an array that is designed to clean up the large garbage patches in the ocean. The real issue is that the plastic breaks down so small that you can't filter it all out because you're getting all sea life then. Here's a link:

The Ocean Cleanup, developing technologies to extract, prevent and intercept plastic pollution

I have high hopes for htis.
    Kathie_Moffett and BITTER like this.

I grew up with this and took it to heart. I go ballistic when i see someone littering. I have actually called the police before when I've seen a car throwing something out the window.

Coloradans are rabid about littering too. We're obsessed with keeping our water pure and gorgeous. I once saw a hobo cuss someone out for throwing something in the gutter downtown. All of our city drains flow directly to natural water and isn't filtered since we have the best natural water filtration in the country with the Rockies, and we don't want to see trash in our perfect streams.
    sluce and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

So late commenting here, but am wondering if cruise ships still toss their trash overboard?

Oh my god, really? I never knew that. Another reason for me to hate cruises.

Buying meats at the meat counter is a great idea, Bee. We do it, too. Less waste in the meat as well. We buy we need, so not a lot leftover to waste.

We have three trashcans here. One is trash, one is recycle, and the third is organic waste. It's basically anything from lawn clippings to table scraps. Anything that can compost. We just had a little thing on tv teaching us how to compost the leaves in the backyard if you don't want to rake. People in Washington want to keep this area clean and beautiful. Even the city is much cleaner than most I've ever been in.

We have 3 bins too, red for garbage, yellow for recycling and green for compost. I probably put my recycling bin out about once every 6 weeks because I don't buy a lot of packaged food or bottles so it's not worth dragging a half-empty bin out to the footpath. I need to drink more booze to fill up my bin.

It's a lot easier to minimise waste when you don't have to feed children.
    Beeyotch likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

"There are many different kinds of plastics out in the ocean and they come from a number of different sources. So, there are teeny, tiny micro plastics out there that were either manufactured to be small for example, the microbeads in face wash can be plastic; there are also little, tiny plastic pellets that we sometimes call 'nurdles' that are used to make larger items but then there are also tiny plastics that are shards of larger items. Plastics never really go away. They just break down over and over and over again until they become smaller and smaller from sunlight and other environmental factors [like] waves, big storms, those kind of things."
    Another recent win for California: We recently outlawed those microbeads in cosmetics and face/body washes.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    So late commenting here, but am wondering if cruise ships still toss their trash overboard?
    A lot of the cruise ship lines either have or are developing "zero discharge" policies...The Queen Mary 2 doesn't throw anything off the ship when underway. Garbage is compressed and stored away until the ship gets to port, and then the garbage is taken away...to a landfill. Water is recycled for flushing toilets and there is also a desalination plant onboard to turn sea water into potable water.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information