Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Walmart tears up woman's money; gets sued

After thinking this over I now feel she should sue for more money on grounds of acute stupidity and hiring of idiots.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Here's a little more detail.

Woman suing Walmart for ripping up $100 bills

Posted: Sep 17, 2012 6:17 AM MDT
    Updated: Sep 17, 2012 12:10 PM MDT

Julia Garcia is suing Walmart after she said employees ripped up two of her $100 bills on grounds that they were counterfeit. (Source: Walmart)

SAN ANTONIO (RNN) - A woman in Texas is putting her money where her mouth is, suing Walmart after a cashier and manager intentionally ripped two of her $100 bills and detained her for hours after they suspected the currency was counterfeit.

According to a document from the 150th Judicial District Court in Bexar County, TX, Julia Garcia said she was Christmas shopping for her children at a Walmart store in the San Antonio area on Dec. 12, 2010.

Garcia just sold her vehicle and had two $100 and $50 bills to pay for her items. When she checked out of the store at 2 a.m., she gave the cashier one of each.

The cashier inspected the $100 bill, showed it to another cashier, and told Garcia the $100 bill was "fake." Garcia claims the cashier ripped up the bill in front of her without performing any counterfeit tests. She also maintains that the metallic strip in the bill was "clearly visible."

After tearing the bill, the cashier tested it by using a counterfeit detection pen. The pen left a yellow mark on the bill, indicating that it was actually real. However, the cashier told Garcia that the store was keeping the money.

Garcia asked to see a manager about being refunded. A Walmart employee identified in a court petition as "Russell" responded to Garcia's request.

Russell agreed with the cashier's conclusion and told Garcia that she had to wait for police. When Garcia took out the second $100 bill in an attempt to prove the money was valid, Russell took the bill, told her it was counterfeit and also ripped it in half.

Garcia was detained at the front of the store by Russell and another manager. She waited for two hours until the police arrived. During that time, customers inquired why the Garcia was being held, to which the managers said she was "trying to pass fake money."

When San Antonio Police arrived to the store, they tested the money and confirmed the bills were real. She declined to receive the ripped bill back and police advised Walmart employees to replace them with new ones.

The ordeal ended at about 5 a.m.

Garcia is seeking damages, claiming employees falsely imprisoned her and caused her intentional emotional distress. She filed her complaint against the retailer on Sept. 9.

Walmart sued for ripping up $100 bills - WLOX.com - The News for South Mississippi

This site also has a link to the court documents.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I hope those two idiots are no longer employed there. What assholes.
    Callalily likes this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Gold Member

So the dumbass cashier uses the counterfeit pen AFTER s/he tears up the money? It's funny now, but I'm sure Ms. Garcia wasn't laughing.

I've been in several stores (not Walmart) where if I give a $50 or $100 bill they immediately whip out the pen and mark it to see if it is real or fake. Obviously they've been doing it wrong all along

Yep. If I have to use a large bill, I'm never offended when they check it. When I worked retail, it was our store policy to check them, though we didn't have anything as handy as the pen. I don't know why they wouldn't just take care of it straight away.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

I've had even $20s checked sometimes, I guess I look suspicious.

But really, it's Walmart, nothing there surprises me.

I've actually had a five that ended up being fake. The cashier pointed it out to me, I had no idea. The ink basically washed away, that's how fake it was - I got it in change somewhere and never even really glanced at it. He didn't try to have me arrested, we just kind of laughed about it and I paid with my debit card.

Fuck WalMart right in the ear.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Brah View Post
    I've had even $20s checked sometimes, I guess I look suspicious.

But really, it's Walmart, nothing there surprises me.
    These days some stores routinely check all paper money, either with a pen or with one of the UV (or whatever they are) lights. It doesn't bother me at all as if counterfeit money isn't going into their till then it won't be coming out again when they hand me change for a higher denomination note.

As for the Wallmart store - well there's so much wrong there that it's ridiculous. First of all they destroyed evidence of what they believed to be a crime by ripping up the money and secondly they held that poor woman in front of all the other shoppers until the police arrived. When my local supermarket holds shoplifters and the like they take them to the managers office to await arrest by the authorities.

I hope this lady gets a nice payout.
    Waterslide likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

what a crazy story. the stupidity is unbelievable. i hope she gets a nice payout, too.

given the stupidity of the employers and the way they treated her and considering that walmart is a huge company, the large sum she's suing for is justified. a gift card and 200$ wouldn't have cut it.
    Mr. Authority likes this.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information