Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Waco TX Fertilizer Plant Explosion Sends 120 to Hospitals, Levels Homes, Businesses

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Press conference says that plant was there since 1962,pretty much everything grew around it. Only one complaint of odor in 2006. They installed something to bring it into compliance, no more complaints.
    Those cows you hear mooing? The press is located right by a cattle barn. Only in Texas!

Oh-and I am located about an hour north. Some people here felt it & called to report an earthquake. Imagine-that far away.
    A seismograph in Amarillo recorded the explosion but I don't know if it was actually felt that far north.

i still don't understand why the town couldn't grow in the other direction, away from the chemical plant. what kind of urban planning laws do they have in texas?
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

None apparently. Safety is for pussies!
    shedevilang, Mel1973 and sputnik like this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Texas Fertilizer Plant Failed To Disclose Massive Amount Of Ammonium Nitrate

IGOR BOBIC 10:37 AM EDT, SATURDAY APRIL 20, 2013

The West, Texas fertilizer plant where a powerful explosion killed at least 14 and injured dozens on Wednesday failed to disclose a massive ammount of ammonium nitrate ordinarily regulated by federal officials, according to Reuters.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security requires fertilizer plants and depots to disclose amounts of ammonium nitrate, which can be used to make a bomb, above 400 lbs. The West, Texas plant, West Fertilizer, reportedly held 270 tons of the substance, 1,350 times that limit.

"This facility was known to have chemicals well above the threshold amount to be regulated under the Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards Act (CFATS), yet we understand that DHS did not even know the plant existed until it blew up," Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-MS) said in a statement, according to Reuters.

Texas Fertilizer Plant Failed To Disclose Massive Ammount Of Ammonium Nitrate | TPM LiveWire
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I wonder what other laws they broke.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

I wonder if they broke enough to get an all expense paid trip to Gitmo.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Motherfuckers. I knew it wasn't normal to have a plant with that much explosive material so close to a populated area. It just didn't make sense, even by Texas standards.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by ikmccall View Post
    A seismograph in Amarillo recorded the explosion but I don't know if it was actually felt that far north.
    Yes it was. Numerous calls to 911 and various tv stations all reporting an earthquake came in at the same time. Mostly from Arlington,Tx. One weatherman said his own wife called to tell him,way before we knew about the blast.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    Motherfuckers. I knew it wasn't normal to have a plant with that much explosive material so close to a populated area. It just didn't make sense, even by Texas standards.
    Lots more will be coming. Certain feds have stated they were unaware the plant existed,much less they had tons of explosives around. Worse part-how many more plants are out there with no inspection,no control. Scary.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I foresee some major litigation. And rightfully so.
    McJag and rollo like this.

So do I. Sounds pretty negligent.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Well the state agency that "regulates" this stuff was informed (uncontrollable laughter at idea that the TCEQ gives two shits about any environmental violations).
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Texas Fertilizer Explosion EMS Worker Charged With Owning Explosive Device

Aerial photos from ABC Channel 8 in Dallas Chopper show destruction in West, Texas. (ABC News)

By COLLEEN CURRY
    May 10, 2013

A first responder who helped treat victims of the fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, last month was arrested and charged today with possessing an explosive device.
    The arrest came on the same day that Texas authorities opened a criminal investigation into the April 17 explosion.
    Paramedic Bryce Reed, who works with the West, Texas, EMS and served as incident commander during the response to the explosion, appeared in federal court in Waco, Texas, this morning for alleged possession of a destructive device.
    According to the charges filed against Reed, the McLennan County Sheriff's Office was called to a residence in Abbot, Texas, on Tuesday because of a possible destructive device, and arrived to find powders, metals and canisters filled with bomb-making materials.
    An official with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms said in an affidavit that officials found a metal pipe, canisters of fuses, a lighter, a digital scale, a plastic spoon, coils of metal and several pounds of chemicals at the residence and determined that they belonged to Reed. The resident of the home said that he had unknowingly accepted the materials from Reed on April 26.
    Reed later admitted to possessing the materials, the court documents said.

ABC News
    Aerial photos from ABC Channel 8 in Dallas... View Full Size

ABC News
    Aerial photos from ABC Channel 8 in Dallas Chopper show destruction in West, Texas.

Local Sherriff Says Texas Blast First Responders 'Didn't Have A Chance' Watch Video

Texas Residents Can Return Home After Fertilizer Plant Explosion Watch Video

Texas Officials Urge Residents Near Fertilizer Explosion To Return Home Under Curfew Watch Video

Reed was arrested Thursday and charged today with one count of possessing a destructive device. He had his initial appearance in court this morning. The attorney appointed to defend Reed, Johnathan Sibley, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
    Reed was not charged for any crime connected to the plant explosion, which killed 15 individuals and burned much of the property in West, and authorities would not say whether they believed there was any connection between Reed's arrest and the explosion.
    His next court appearance will be on Wednesday. Reed faces up to 10 years in prison and $250,000 in fines.
    The charges against Reed came shortly ahead of an announcement from the Texas Department of Public Safety, which said this morning that it would use a criminal investigation to ensure that the explosion had been "looked at from every angle," according to a statement from TDP director Steven McCraw.
    "This disaster has severely impacted the community of West, and we want to ensure that no stone goes unturned and that all the facts related to this incident are uncovered," McCraw said, according to ABC News affiliate WFAA.
    McCraw said that the department would not answer any questions or provide any other details about the investigation at this time.
    Officials in Texas originally said that the investigation into the explosion would be finished by May 10, according to WFAA. The State Fire Marshal department said that investigators have interviewed "almost 300 people," and followed 160 leads in their initial investigation, according to the report.
    The fire marshal has not yet released a cause for the explosion.

Texas Opens Criminal Investigation into Fertilizer Plant Explosion - ABC News
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

So, my reading comprehension skills are at an all time low, but are they thinking he had something to do with this, even though he hasn't been charged with anything in regards to the explosion at the plant?

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    So, my reading comprehension skills are at an all time low, but are they thinking he had something to do with this, even though he hasn't been charged with anything in regards to the explosion at the plant?
    That's what they are investigating; to see if he actually DID have something to do with the plant explosion.
    Before you can judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. - Billy Connolly

^^Geez, that's terrible to even think of such a thing.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information