Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: US dairy industry petitions FDA to approve aspartame as unlabled additive

more listeria deaths come from cold cuts and hot dogs though, than raw dairy.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    more listeria deaths come from cold cuts and hot dogs though, than raw dairy.
    I agree. And I think the last outbreak was centered on cantaloupes. But the calculation by the FDA and other food safety groups is that allowing raw milk back onto the market would cause a spike in milk-product-related listeria.

it can be unsafe (raw milk and raw milk cheeses) but rarely is. otherwise, i'd be dead from all the unpasteurised and delicious cheeses i consumed while living in europe. i probably ate a few times my body weight in various stinky incredible amazing cheeses
    just like sushi, but no one's banning sushi, unless you're pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    i don't drink diet anything. if i can avoid chemicals in my food, i do.
    this. with the exception of the coke zero with copious amounts of ice that i get an insane craving for about once or twice a year. and it has to be coke zero. diet tastes like ass and regular coke makes my teeth feel gritty and weird.
    i don't sweeten my coffe and i use real sugar or honey in tea - and i don't think a teaspoon of sugar is going to do anyone any harm.
    i also refuse to eat diet yoghurt - they just take out a bit of milk fat which isn't bad for you and replace it with corn starch - empty carbs you don't need.

and about 6 months ago i also switched from 2% milk to organic whole milk. haven't gained any weight - in fact i've lost about 15lbs but that has more to do with moving to new york than anything else i think.
    it's not the one latte i drink a day that's gonna make me fat and i'd rather drink milk that's as natural as possible and not processed.
    i never could deal with skim milk. it tastes like watery ass and i don't know how people can deal with it.
    Butterfly likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I think you would have to define rarely and then decide if it is enough of a public health threat to allow on the market. The FDA's calculations are there are already more than enough cases of listeria out there, and that allowing raw milk products on the market would be an unacceptable risk to the general public.

And, in fact, the FDA had to be prodded to go ahead and ban the inter-state sales of milk as the result of a lawsuit that was brought to federal court in 1985, Public Citizen vs. Heckler. During that lawsuit, they quoted the CDC's 1983 director as saying that raw milk is "inherently unsafe". Public Citizen is a group started by Ralph Nader, for the Nader haters out there.

well, i still think half of france would be dead by now if it were really that unsafe.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Yeah I'm with Sputnik here, although unfortunately as a lactose-intolerant person I can no longer enjoy the stinky cheeses, I can appreciate them from afar. I found food in America to be about ten times as sweet as in Europe generally, it was so strange. Eating a sandwich was like having fillings on brioche. Who knows what else they're pumping full of fake sugar. Adding aspartame to milk is a fucking nonsense, herd the kids outside to play and stop giving them mountains of sweets and crisps and junk food, that'll solve the obesity problem, not tweaking milk to make it unnatural.
    Butterfly likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I'm so sick of them taking real food and altering it with frankinfood, and then slapping a health label on it. Healthy natural fat does not make you fat the fake shit everyone is putting into their bodies is what is doing it.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

In summary,

1. Nutrasweet tastes like ass, but stinky cheeses do not.
    2. Beaver ass (castoreum) has been added to all kinds of food products for decades, but it's not a problem because it's natural and somehow does not taste like ass, which is no comfort to the beavers.
    3. Fat does not make you fat, but nonfat stuff does. AKA: 1 +1 = 0 and 0 +0 = 1.

Should people really be drinking so much milk that they get fat? I don't see why milk products should be altered, eat in moderation. I am lactose intolerant, but milk and most milk products are nasty to me anyway so I didnt drink it before I was LI. My kids were breastfed until they were 18 months and never drank cow's milk when they were weaned. They eat a yogurt a day, some cheese for snacks and green leafy veggies at dinner. My oldest drank cow's milk like twice in her life and my 2 1/2 year old has never drank it. They are lean and healthy.

Do other animals drink any other species' milk after being weaned? It's just humans right? Maybe limiting milk is a good thing, it's not a natural part of primate's diet past weaning age, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think the problem with the waiver is that I don't think most stores have a process for waiving your rights to safe food.
    yes, that's why I said NOT having it in stores. Have people get it direct from a farmer and sign a waiver if they want it.

People who want raw milk would be happy, people who don't won't have to worry about it being in the food supply.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    yes, that's why I said NOT having it in stores. Have people get it direct from a farmer and sign a waiver if they want it.

People who want raw milk would be happy, people who don't won't have to worry about it being in the food supply.
    Illinois appears to do it almost exactly that way, Twitchy. See below:

ILLINOIS

Summary:
    Raw milk sales are legal on the farm if the farmer complies with the following conditions:

1. No advertising the sale of raw milk.
    2. Customers must bring their own individual containers. If the farmer uses his own container to bottle the milk, he is operating a “milk plant” according to the Department of Health Regulations, and the milk must be pasteurized. The farmer can only collect the milk in the customer’s container. The farmer cannot process the milk in any way. Sales of raw cream and raw butter are illegal.
    3. The farmer must produce the milk “in accordance with the Department (of Public Health) rules and regulations. “The Department does not apply these rules and regulations, including the permit requirement, to farmers with just a few cows who sell raw milk only on the farm.

Friends of mine were featured in a film called Farmageddon, which I believe is available on Netflix now, over the raw milk wars. More info on that case can be found here

Judge Dismisses FDA Raw Milk Lawsuit
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Raw milk can be screened as should most dairy be. Will this apply to organic milk products? Here is just one link for it: http://www.rawmilkcolorado.org/Board...0(Acrobat).pdf

another for California: http://www.realrawmilkfacts.com/raw-...ate/california

I like this one: http://www.specialtyfood.com/news-tr...w-milk-cheese/

Especially this part:
    Myth 6: Mandatory pasteurization would make cheese safe for all.
    It’s true that pasteurization puts all known milk pathogens out of commission, but it doesn’t prevent milk or cheese from being infected downstream. In fact, it may make it easier, as Donnelly suggests. Not only can pathogens get a foothold when there aren’t any “good bacteria to outcompete them, but dairies may relax their sanitary procedures when they know they’re working with pasteurized milk. One recent study of European washed-rind cheeses found almost twice as much Listeria in the pasteurized samples than in the raw-milk samples.
    “The greatest threat posed to the safety of cheese is due to post-process environmental contamination, writes Donnelly in a scientific paper. In that light, mandatory HACCP plans in dairies would probably do more to safeguard public health than mandatory pasteurization.
    Found this: http://zweberfarms.com/is-aspartame-in-organic-milk/

Is Aspartame in Organic Milk?

Published February 26, 2013 | By Zweber Farms

There is quite a bit of news going around about “Big Dairy” trying to petition the FDA to hide aspartame in milk. You can read the petition:
    Flavored Milk; Petition to Amend the Standard of Identity for Milk and 17 Additional Dairy Products
    This is what the petition is trying to do. The FDA already approves of aspartame. Some in the dairy industry would like to have the identity of milk preserved when a non nutritive sweetener is added. Huh? Okay, right now if a dairy company wants to call their chocolate milk ”milk” they have to use nutritive (real) sweeteners like sugar. If they use aspartame they are no longer able to call it “milk”; instead it has to be labeled “beverage, shake, etc.” There is more to the petition than just aspartame, but aspartame seems to be the stickler right now.
    So why would some in the dairy industry want this?
    With the increase pressure to reduce calories in all foods served during school lunch, adding aspartame makes sense. BUT many question the safety of aspartame. Several studies have shown aspartame’s link to cancer, but they have not been peer reviewed nor duplicated.
    Is aspartame approved in organic milk?
    Aspartame is not approved for organic milk. The USDA has a complete list of non organic substances allowed and aspartame is not on the list for organic approval.

I pulled this ingredients list off of the Organic Valley website. No aspartame in Organic Valley’s chocolate milk, nor will there be if the petition is approved by the FDA.
    Will aspartame have to be labeled?
    This is where I am a little fuzzy, but after reading the entire petition, it seems to me that they just want to exclude the nutrition claims that are currently required “reduced calories, etc.” Again, this is where I might be a little off. The FDA’s website is awful when it comes to answering questions. After reading as much as I could, it seems aspartame still needs to be included in the ingredients’ list. Remember aspartame is already an approved ingredient.
    Right now the FDA is taking comments on this petition. You can make your thoughts heard on the labeling of milk until May 21, 2013. http://www.regulations.gov.
    Please remember that aspartame is NOT approved in organic milk.
    If I have any of this wrong, please let me know and I will make the corrections. Like I said it is really hard to find good information out there on this topic.
    Also note that this topic isn’t new. I blogged about Neotame (aspartame) back in 2011
    Last edited by MmeVertigina; February 27th, 2013 at 12:45 AM.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    I found food in America to be about ten times as sweet as in Europe generally, it was so strange.
    My OH has to watch his blood sugar like a hawk when he's in the States due to the hidden sugar in food.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Yeah it's mad isn't it? Poor Americans
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information