Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Kids (11 & 5) Found Living in Abandoned Bus

Jesus, those poor kids. These people are terrible parents, when would it ever be ok to live in a bus even if the parents weren't in prison? Hopefully these kids can find a better home with more structure and education.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I hate that each state sets the law for how old a child must be to be left alone and if the 11 year old would have been deemed old enough to watch the 5 year old. I would have never hired an 11 year old to babysit my daughter when she was 5 but legally I could have. The school issue could be the legal issue here. Watch them say she was being home schooled by going on line each day...
    I can see that an 11 year old can be left alone for an hour or two, even looking for that amount of time after a 5 year old (depending how responsible the kids are). BUT leaving them for a full working day and not sending them to school...
    that is a problem

Elite Member

Yeah, like being home-schooled by 2 parents who are amoral and stupid enough to be incarcerated is a good idea.

So the aunt was climbing into the bus to sleep with the kids at night? Yeah, right.

I hope the kids are being cared for away from this irresponsible family.

I have many issues with this story, but my very first thought was: Uh SCHOOL? Why isn't the 11 yr old at least in school? Did I miss that part? Clearly she's not enrolled anywhere, otherwise, the school would be looking for her right? Or at least enquiring into her whereabouts? Am I wrong here?

This is disturbing on many levels. Feel for the kids---been dealt a shitty hand for sure.

She is being home schooled Lynnie. Mom in prison is home schooling through the mail...
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

It reminds me of a book series that was popular when I was in elementary school, "The Boxcar Children" or something like that. It was about a group of orphaned siblings who lived in an abandoned train.

Ha! That was my first thought when I read the title. Now they just need a rich long lost grandfather.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Gold Member

Home-Schooling from jail? Okay. Maybe next week in math class mom can teach the kids about earning money prison-style: If mom makes $.75 an hour scrubbing the prison toilets, how long would it take her to save up to buy that $15.00 carton of cigarettes from her cellmate?

In all seriousness, though, I hope those kids can find a stable home somewhere. I can only hope they aren't screwed up for life over this.
    Although they're probably better off living on their own rather than living with their loser, grifter parents.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    It reminds me of a book series that was popular when I was in elementary school, "The Boxcar Children" or something like that. It was about a group of orphaned siblings who lived in an abandoned train.

Whoa... totally forgot about those books. And I remember being envious of them too, their lives seemed so Peter Pan like...
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information