Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake

Quote Originally Posted by angelais View Post
    Am I the only one who senses that the Japanese government is downplaying the seriousness of the nuclear reactor explosion?

Maybe it is just me.
    At one point, I had heard there were something like 6 damaged or failed reactors at two different plants.

My SIL finally heard from most of her family today. Here was a sample message:
    I just called my uncle and they are okay. Their house is okay, too. He said that they just got their phone service and electricity back. The other uncle and his family are okay.

My uncle has received the first dialysis today since the earthquake hit. They are still in need of gasoline to drive their cars. All gas stations are closed in the area.

My cousin said that some neighbors' houses collapsed. The elementary school she went to also fell down as well.

Am I the only one who senses that the Japanese government is downplaying the seriousness of the nuclear reactor explosion?

Maybe it is just me.
    Just from watching the news, I think so too. Obviously they don't want the people of Fukushima (or the rest of the country) to panic as they have enough to deal with, but something isn't right here. Information is coming out, but only because it's hard to hide things like explosions or Geiger counters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quazar View Post
    The only consolation is the Japanese are as well-prepared for this kind of thing as anyone can be.
    How can you say that about a country that stupid enough to build dozens of nuclear plants in an earthquake hotspot? I know Japan is not Haiti and the myth of the Japanese prepardness is being perpetuated by the media, but is it true? What's the point of earthquake drills at elementary schools, when you have reactors blowing up left and right?

That's like the nuclear drills in the 50s in the US. Hide under your desk and you will be fine!

Maybe it is just me.
    The IAEA is accusing them openly of downplaying the situation. It's safe to assume that we have two core-melts at this point.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

And a third one just confirmed..no,not well prepaired at all,those poor people!
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

A friend of mine works for a Japanese auto supplier and has to deal with management back in the homeland all the time. He says they will lie to anyone to keep face, which a cultural thing. They lie to him all the time, and he's on a need-to-know basis as he's in their upper management. I would not be surprised if the government was lying about and/or downplaying the severity of the reactor incidents.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I wouldn't say all Japanese people lie. (Jesus, what is it with the xenophobia on GR lately?) The government is definitely not telling the truth. Government cover up their fuck-ups, it's what they do. Yours, too. That doesn't make all Americans liars.

In Tchernobyl, the Russian government pretended nothing was wrong for over 30 days. No evacuation, nothing. When their were repated claims that there had been an accident, they held a big parade in Tchernobyl to prove that everything was fine. Everyone who was in that parade is dead now.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Oh,yes it is a cultural thing,they dont even consider it as a lie,it protects their HONOR and they believe they should do it.
    I know enough Japanese people and they think it is natural.

Yes, I did not say all Japanese people lie! I am merely reporting what my friend's experiences have been with his company and what he has been told by other within the company about how to deal with the Japanese management.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Well,it is not what we call a lie,it is more *you must know what you should know*thing,just a nod and a smile..
    Not like our politicians in here lying 24/7 and even when the truth sounds better,the bastards may they rot in hell and beyond,the fuckers.

this morning they were talking about the fault lines in california and how a massive earthquake is inevitable and it could be anytime. That the nuclear plants in california are not well equipped and it will effect the entire united states. It can happen here. We need to learn from what's going on there.
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

This article explains the situation with the reactors quite well, for anybody that's interested.
    Why I am not worried about Japan’s nuclear reactors. | Morgsatlarge – blogorific.

Zee

I don't know- there are reports of pumping sea water and boric acid into the reactor. The control rods would have been deployed after the earthquake. This is getting to the bottom of the barrel containment tactics. So, I'm assuming that there is damage to the reactor itself- since they need the boric acid-
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    this morning they were talking about the fault lines in california and how a massive earthquake is inevitable and it could be anytime. That the nuclear plants in california are not well equipped and it will effect the entire united states. It can happen here. We need to learn from what's going on there.
    This is what terrifies me, as I live in the Bay Area (not close to San Francisco but more north).

The Bay and L.A. are due for the big one, and as we have seen no amount of disaster preparedness can account for human nature. And that is the urge to panic. I can honestly say that if many were suddenly to experience a massive earthquake, no training can prepare you for the sheer terror of the moment. When you're in a building and everything is shaking and the glasses are making a horrible noise, all training goes out the window. I still remember the earthquake in 1987 in southern california, as I was walking to a class in the morning, the earthquake that hit was so powerful it knocked me off my feet to the ground.

But there is no doubt that some of the training in Japan did in fact help many to act properly. I can't remember though when's the last time my company or city did any sort of drills for any disaster. Scary thought.

As for lying being a cultural thing, it may be but it's apparent that general human nature would seem to indicate that downplaying or lying about the potential dangers of an incident knows no cultural bounds:

http://www.efmr.org/files/TMIA_Japan_accident.pdf

Fukushima vs. Three Mile Island (Background: March 12, 2011)

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    This article explains the situation with the reactors quite well, for anybody that's interested.
    Why I am not worried about Japan’s nuclear reactors. | Morgsatlarge – blogorific.
    Interesting. I think the sea water is a last ditch attempt at cooling - according to the BBC, once the reactors have been flooded with it, they can't be used again, as the salt ruins the delicate machinery. He also didn't mention the four people hospitalised with radiation poisoning - seems to me the leak was serious enough.

Slide cursor back and forth to view before and after pictures.
    ABC News - Japan Earthquake: before and after

It has been upgraded to a 9.0
    Japan upgrades killer quake's magnitude - World Watch - CBS News

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread Information