Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Don't forget about the poor pets and animals who've also had their lives shattered by this disaster.. they're usually always the last thing anybody worries about

5 Ways You Can Help Animals In Japan: Pics, Videos, Links, News
    Thank you for this. I just donated to the Japanese local animal rescue org. listed there. The pictures are heartbreaking. These poor animals have no idea what's going on.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

Japan Quake Silver Lining: Whaling Fleet Decimated*|*GlossyNews.com

good news

however, the more videos i see on tv, my god, the little people not knowing whats behind them racing after them from behind and then being swept away

thanks twitch, so the water is just staying where it lay huh? wow, I kinda figured, naively I guess, that it would go back out to sea after coming in....

totally stupid thinking I guess, thats so fucked up, how do they get rid of all the water now inland?

How do they move those huge ships?!!! They really need the help of other nations right
    Last edited by AliceInWonderland; March 15th, 2011 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks for that Alice.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Quote Originally Posted by SuriCruise View Post
    Just shared the animal link on facebook. It breaks my heart to see those photos
    I can't look. Even the photo in this thread with the kitten makes me cry uncontrollably.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i want that baby - that face!

Gilbert Gottfried's Jokes About Japan Tsunami Got His Dumb Ass Fired

This afternoon, Aflac Inc. gently laid their duck on the surgery table, put two tiny anesthesia masks over his nostrils, opened his bill and quickly clipped off the Gilbert Gottfried clinging on to his vocal cords. They immediately threw that Gilbert Gottfried into a dump truck heading for wherever.

Aflac announced today that they have dropped a BYE BITCH on on the voice of their mascot after he Tweeted a series of jokes about the disaster in Japan. The Hollywood Reporter says Aflac is donating $100 million to disaster relief and will hold a nationwide casting call for GG's replacement. Aflac had this to say in a statement:
    “Gilbert’s recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac. There is no place for anything but compassion and concern during these difficult times.”
    It all started a couple of days ago when Gilbert climbed on top of the half broken plastic crate that is Twitter account and started throwing out jokes like: "I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, 'They'll be another one floating by any minute now'" and "I fucked a girl in japan. She screamed "I feel the earth move and I'm getting wet." Alflac wasn't really laughing, because 75% of their business comes from Japan. Aaaaaaaaafuck!

You know, we've really come a long way as a society, because we don't even need to change out of our stained sweats or leave our houses to get fired. Just spew out some offensive fuckery on Twitter and wait by the mailbox for your final check to show up.
    Wow. Talk about tasteless.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I never could stand this idiot anyway.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Wow. Talk about tasteless.
    He's an ass, and not funny either.

Another tiny bit of good news amidst all the death and destruction.

Woman, 70, found alive 4 days after Japan tsunami

'My feelings are complicated, because I haven't found my father,' her son says

SOMA, Japan — Rescuers pulled a 70-year-old woman from her toppled home Tuesday, four days after an earthquake-spurred tsunami tossed the house off its foundation in Japan's northeast

The rescues of the elderly Sai Abe and a younger man pulled from rubble elsewhere in the region were rare good news following Friday's disaster that killed at least 2,700 people and left thousands missing.

Abe's son said he had tried to save his mother but could not get her to flee her home in the port town of Otsuchi. His relief at her rescue, he said, was tempered by the fact that his father is still missing.
    "I couldn't lift her up, and she couldn't escape because her legs are bad," Hiromi Abe said on national television. "My feelings are complicated, because I haven't found my father."

Video: At least 15,000 people missing in Japan (on this page)

The elderly woman was suffering from hypothermia and was sent to a hospital, but appeared to have no life-threatening injuries, said Yuko Kotani, a spokesman for Osaka fire department.

Cold front
    Another survivor, described as being in his 20s, was shown on television being pulled from a building further down the coast in the city of Ishimaki after rescue workers heard him calling for help.
    Conditions for those still alive in the rubble worsened as a cold front arrived Tuesday, further pushing down temperatures. Snow is forecast over the next few days.

Hundreds of foreign rescue workers are assisting quake and tsunami victims but the United Nations does not plan to mount a bigger relief operation unless requested, U.N. aid officials said on Monday.
    Friday's 9.0-magnitude earthquake and the ensuing tsunami killed more than 10,000 people, plunged millions into misery and pummeled the world's third-largest economy.

Some 70 countries have offered assistance in an outpouring of solidarity with Japan, with help coming not only from allies like the United States but also countries with more strained relations like China, and even from the Afghan city of Kandahar.

"We have offered our Japanese friends whatever assistance is needed, as America will stand with Japan as they recover and rebuild," White House spokesman Jay Carney said.

He said two U.S. urban search-and-rescue teams, with 144 staff and 12 dogs, had begun work at first light on Monday looking for people trapped in the rubble.
    Source: Woman, 70, found alive 4 days after tsunami - World news - Asia-Pacific - msnbc.com

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    He's an ass, and not funny either.
    I never got the fascination myself. All he does is make funny faces and talk in a funny voice.

He didn't even take into consideration that people are witnessing this NOW and feel pretty raw about it.

I hope someone stomps him, 50 Cent AND Glenn Beck.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

^ he's on Leno frequently, 'nuff said

got something in my eye

The follow up to a promise. Operation "Re-Stock Granny." [Story in post] : pics

The tl;dr (or for those too terrified to click) is person in California worried about her grandmother in Japan mentions it online and person who reads it travels there, taking some food and checks on the old lady.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Gilbert Gottfried Apologizes for Tsunami Tweets
    By Dahvi Shira

Tuesday March 15, 2011 02:35 PM EDT

Gilbert Gottfried
    Soul Brother/FilmMagic

A day after Gilbert Gottfried was fired as the Aflac duck for making light of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan, the comedian is saying sorry.

"I sincerely apologize to anyone who was offended by my attempt at humor regarding the tragedy in Japan," Gottfried, 56, the voice of the duck since 2000, says in a statement. "I meant no disrespect, and my thoughts are with the victims and their families."

After Gottfried sent a series of joke-filled Tweets, Aflac's Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Michael Zuna issued a statement Monday saying, "Gilbert's recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac."

A search is reportedly on for a new voice actor.
    Aflac Fires Gilbert Gottfried, He Apologizes for Tweets : People.com

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    got something in my eye

The tl;dr (or for those too terrified to click) is person in California worried about her grandmother in Japan mentions it online and person who reads it travels there, taking some food and checks on the old lady.

That's just awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    got something in my eye

omg Twitchy that is such a lovely story, that couple are so sweet going out of their way to help a complete stranger like that. Having a wee sniffle now..
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Default Japanese nuclear plant workers emerging as heroic figures in tragedy

Japanese nuclear plant workers emerging as heroic figures in tragedy - Yahoo! News

Amid the horror and devastation of the nuclear crisis in Japan, it can be easy to miss the heroism of the 50 emergency workers trying to prevent the full meltdown of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility. It's not exaggeration to say that the safety of thousands of Japanese citizens hinges on the efforts of the crew of cleanup workers left behind after the remainder of the facility's roughly 800 employees have been evacuated amid hazardous levels of radiation. Even in a culture that places a premium on self-sacrifice, these ordinary workers are being extraordinarily selfless -- and could conceivably make the ultimate sacrifice for their fellow citizens' well-being.

Who these 50 workers are remains something of a mystery. Their employer, the Tokyo Electric Company, has not provided their details. But after a new explosion at the plant this morning, their fate may be becoming more perilous by the minute. As nuclear power consultant Arnold Gundersen told the New York Times, it's likely the company has approached older plant retirees with a sobering invitation to reinforce the plant safety crew. Plant managers "may also be asking for people to volunteer to receive additional exposure," Gundersen told the Times' Henry Fountain.

Below is a Today Show interview with scientist Edwin Lyman, who explains to Meredith Vieira the severe risk plant workers are taking in the course of trying to stave off further destruction:

Hulu - NBC TODAY Show: Scientist: Japanese Plant Workers in Danger

The workers' efforts are all the more striking in view of the stark legacy of mass exposure to nuclear radiation in recent Japanese history. During the 1945 atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, thousands of Japanese citizens died particularly horrific deaths due to acute radiation exposure -- and many blast survivors were stricken with various forms of cancer later in life.

Of course, the remaining workers inside the Daiichi plant are not going in blindly -- they are experts in their field, and well versed in the health risks they're facing. They're also equipped with state-of-the-art gear designed to protect them from exposure -- but those are weak safeguards against high levels of radiation exposure. Radioactive particles can penetrate just about anything a human can wear -- and from there, can be readily absorbed into the skin or inhaled into the lungs. Gundersen also told the Times that each worker is likely carrying a dosimeter, a device that measures radiation exposure -- and that once the device detects too-high levels of radiation present, superiors would instruct them to leave the area.

Now, however, it's unclear whether any worker on the site is reasonably safe. Several reports out today say that radiation levels at the plant spiked Tuesday to unprecedented levels after the facility's fourth reactor overheated and reached a boiling point. This latest setback came after a hydrogen explosion caused a fire, sending radioactive material directly into the atmosphere via smoke. Meanwhile, plant workers continued to try to cool down the plant's heavily damaged second reactor by pumping water from the sea directly into it.

With the crisis deepening, comparisons to the 1986 Chernobyl disaster -- the worst nuclear power crisis the world has ever seen -- are becoming more frequent. Unlike the Daiichi facility, the Chernobyl site had no containment wall, so the radiation from the plant's meltdown spread much more widely than would likely be the case in the event of a Daichii meltdown. But the health hazards facing cleanup workers in both episodes make for a closer, and more sobering, comparison. When the ill-fated plant in the Ukraine melted down, a large number of the 176 workers on duty that evening were exposed to enormous doses of radiation, with many of them dying within weeks of the disaster. The plant's meltdown and the subsequent environmental contamination are believed to have adversely affected the health of roughly half a million men and women in and around the Ukraine in the quarter century since the Chernobyl incident.

Thread Information