Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzvZy1zY8U8[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PljZOj5knzo&feature=relmfu[/YOUTUBE]

Japanese agency: Explosion heard at nuclear plant - Yahoo! News

SOMA, Japan – A third explosion in four days rocked the earthquake-damaged Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear plant in northeast Japan early Tuesday, the country's nuclear safety agency said.
    The blast at Dai-ichi Unit 2 followed two hydrogen explosions at the plant — the latest on Monday — as authorities struggle to prevent the catastrophic release of radiation in the area devastated by a tsunami.
    The troubles at the Dai-ichi complex began when Friday's massive quake and tsunami in Japan's northeast knocked out power, crippling cooling systems needed to keep nuclear fuel from melting down.
    The latest explosion was heard at 6:10 a.m. Tuesday (2110 GMT Monday), a spokesman for the Nuclear Safety Agency said at a news conference. The plant's owner, Tokyo Electric Power Co., said the explosion occurred near the suppression pool in the reactor's containment vessel. The pool was later found to have a defect.
    International scientists have said there are serious dangers but not at the level of the 1986 blast in Chernobyl. Japanese authorities were injecting seawater as a coolant of last resort, and advising nearby residents to stay inside to avoid contamination.
    Tokyo Electric Power said some employees of the power plant were temporarily evacuated following Tuesday morning's blast.
    The accidents — injuring 15 workers and military personnel and exposing up to 190 people to elevated radiation — have compounded the immense challenges faced by the Tokyo government as it struggles to help hundreds of thousands of people affected by twin disasters that flattened entire communities and may have left more than 10,000 dead.
    The crisis also has raised global concerns about the safety of such reactors at a time when they have enjoyed a resurgence as an alternative to fossil fuels.
    Japanese authorities said there have been no large-scale radiation releases, but have detected temporary elevations in levels, and have evacuated tens of thousands of people from around affected reactors. Prevailing winds were pointing out to sea, and U.S. ships assisting tsunami recovery moved further way to avoid potential danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Don't forget about the poor pets and animals who've also had their lives shattered by this disaster.. they're usually always the last thing anybody worries about

5 Ways You Can Help Animals In Japan: Pics, Videos, Links, News
    True!! The only thing I've donated to after disasters has been animal charities. After Katrina, I donated to the Humane Society and the ASPCA. Even though I have a human baby now, animals will always be my first love

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    True!! The only thing I've donated to after disasters has been animal charities. After Katrina, I donated to the Humane Society and the ASPCA. Even though I have a human baby now, animals will always be my first love
    That is so cute!

I've already made a "human" donation but now I'm off to make an animal one!
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestial View Post
    I also choose to believe the rumors because I am, when it is all said and done, a dirty gossip.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgt8qBSZEn0[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by Laxmobster View Post
    That is so cute!

I've already made a "human" donation but now I'm off to make an animal one!
    It's true. I love my little girl more than I've ever loved anything...but I will never forget how much my pets have meant to me over the years and how much joy animals have always given me. That will never change In a way, I think they taught me how to love, nurture and be patient.

Thought this was interesting. As you can see from the date, it was posted on a forum two days before the big quake.

I dunno if that's normal for them, or what, but if i was monitoring an earthquake site (but who is?) I think i would have gotten out of there.

Just shared the animal link on facebook. It breaks my heart to see those photos
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

The World Figure Skating Championships were to be held in Tokyo this week - they have been canceled because of this horrible tragedy. Of course they have been - I don't have a problem with this. But there are some posters at one of the skating sites I subscribe to who are grief-stricken about it. They think the ISU is being unreasonable and that the event should still be held. I mean, lack of perspective much?
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by DitaPage* View Post
    Thought this was interesting. As you can see from the date, it was posted on a forum two days before the big quake.

I dunno if that's normal for them, or what, but if i was monitoring an earthquake site (but who is?) I think i would have gotten out of there.
    Yes, apparently this girl on YouTube predicted it as well, days beforehand. Scary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The World Figure Skating Championships were to be held in Tokyo this week - they have been canceled because of this horrible tragedy. Of course they have been - I don't have a problem with this. But there are some posters at one of the skating sites I subscribe to who are grief-stricken about it. They think the ISU is being unreasonable and that the event should still be held. I mean, lack of perspective much?
    My girls and I are big fans and never miss any events,but for God,s sake the country is falling apart,Figure skating is the least of their problems.And sertously i dont see any tourists visiting for the event..
    Now,what i am thinking is ISU could find a country ready and willing to do the championship..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    My girls and I are big fans and never miss any events,but for God,s sake the country is falling apart,Figure skating is the least of their problems.And sertously i dont see any tourists visiting for the event..
    Now,what i am thinking is ISU could find a country ready and willing to do the championship..
    It could be postponed, or cancelled. I mean, they cancelled it back in 1961 after that plane crash.

At this point, tourists would just be in the way right now.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Thanks for the pics, Twitchy.

The devastation is so massive my brain can't process it as real.

Awesome! A Redditor bought this domain before the Westboro Baptist Church could get their mitts on it. Home Page

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Its horrible. Christ, just the cleanup alone - how the hell do you pick a place to start?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information