Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake

my heart breaks for the families there. How do you overcome something like this? ugh.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Tiny bit of good news.

Miracle of the baby girl plucked from the rubble: Four-month-old reunited with her father after incredible rescue

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 5:56 PM on 14th March 2011

For days, he must have feared his baby girl was dead.
    Helpless in the rubble following the massive earthquake and subsequent tsunami, the baby girl had survived for three days in the remains of the city of Ishinomaki in the state of Miyagi.
    Against the odds, the four-month old was rescued apparently safe and unharmed after being spotted a member of Japan's Self-Defense Force.

Joy: The member of Japan's Self-Defense Force member holds the four-month-old baby girl in Ishinomaki, northern Japan after her rescue

But today, the joyful reunion of father and daughter was interrupted by another tsunami warning.
    Amid sirens and the fear of further devastation, the fear on his face is clear to see, as he tries to flee to safety.
    The country has been hit by more than 100 aftershocks since Friday's 9.0 magnitude earthquake, with experts warning a second huge quake - almost as powerful as the first - could hit the country, triggering another tsunami.
    Thousands of people have been killed, and some 180,000 have been evacuated from an area surrounding an unsafe nuclear power plant, which became unstable in the disaster.

... And fear: Upon hearing another tsunami warning, a father tries to flee to safety with the baby girl he has just been reunited with
    Source: Japan earthquake survivor reunited with baby daughter - as another tsunami warning sounds | Mail Online

and another
    Japanese man found floating out to sea on his house

View larger image
    Hiromitsu Shinkawa, right, waves to rescuers before being rescued to a Maritime Self-Defense Force destroyer on Sunday March 13, 2011. When spotted, the 60-year-old man was floating off the coast of Fukushima's Futaba town on the roof of his house after being swept away in a tsunami. He was in good condition. (AP / Defense Ministry)

View larger image
    Hiromitsu Shinkawa waves to rescuers before being rescued to a Maritime Self-Defense Force destroyer on Sunday March 13, 2011. (AP / Defense Ministry)

View larger image
    Japanese Hiromitsu Shinkawa, wrapped in a blanket, is lifted to a Maritime Self-Defense Force destroyer following his rescue on Sunday March 13, 2011. (AP / Defense Ministry)

Updated: Sun Mar. 13 2011 08:32:38

The Associated Press
    TOKYO — Hiromitsu Shinkawa was pushed out to sea while he clung to the roof of his home after a tsunami swept away his wife. For two days, he drifted off Japan's northeastern coast, trying to get the attention of helicopters and ships that passed by -- to no avail.
    Finally, on Sunday, a Japanese military vessel spotted the 60-year-old waving a red cloth. He was about 15 kilometres (about 10 miles) offshore from the earthquake-ravaged city of Minamisoma, said Yoshiyuki Kotake, a Defence Ministry spokesman.
    Shinkawa told his rescuers that the tsunami hit as he and his wife returned home to gather some belongings after Friday's quake. His wife was swept away, Kotake said.
    "Several helicopters and ships passed by, but none of them noticed me," he was quoted by another defence agency spokesman, who refused to be identified by name, as saying.
    Japanese troops used a small boat to pluck him from the ocean.
    Military officials said Shinkawa was lucky that mild weather and relatively calm seas enabled him to stay afloat for nearly two days, the Kyodo news agency reported.
    "I thought today was the last day of my life," it quoted him as saying.
    CTV Calgary- Japanese man found floating out to sea on his house - CTV News

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Zee

If you go to the 7th fleet's facebook page- there are videos of helicopters doing humanitarian missions and other photos. The news shows the same few video loops and it's overwhelming to see the tsunami's impact from a different perspective

Videos Posted by U.S. 7th Fleet: USS Ronald Reagan Sailors deliver aid to Japan [HQ] | Facebook

U.S. 7th Fleet | Facebook
    Drive a car, drive a boat, drive a plane. What does it matter? As long as I'm drunk!
    pəʇɐɔɐɯnpə ɹ ı

Look at that precious baby...the joy that father must have felt.

Don't forget about the poor pets and animals who've also had their lives shattered by this disaster.. they're usually always the last thing anybody worries about

5 Ways You Can Help Animals In Japan: Pics, Videos, Links, News
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

^^Grimm, thanks for posting that info!!

Please spread it around
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    i want that baby - that face!

Gilbert Gottfried's Jokes About Japan Tsunami Got His Dumb Ass Fired

This afternoon, Aflac Inc. gently laid their duck on the surgery table, put two tiny anesthesia masks over his nostrils, opened his bill and quickly clipped off the Gilbert Gottfried clinging on to his vocal cords. They immediately threw that Gilbert Gottfried into a dump truck heading for wherever.

Aflac announced today that they have dropped a BYE BITCH on on the voice of their mascot after he Tweeted a series of jokes about the disaster in Japan. The Hollywood Reporter says Aflac is donating $100 million to disaster relief and will hold a nationwide casting call for GG's replacement. Aflac had this to say in a statement:
    “Gilbert’s recent comments about the crisis in Japan were lacking in humor and certainly do not represent the thoughts and feelings of anyone at Aflac. There is no place for anything but compassion and concern during these difficult times.”
    It all started a couple of days ago when Gilbert climbed on top of the half broken plastic crate that is Twitter account and started throwing out jokes like: "I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, 'They'll be another one floating by any minute now'" and "I fucked a girl in japan. She screamed "I feel the earth move and I'm getting wet." Alflac wasn't really laughing, because 75% of their business comes from Japan. Aaaaaaaaafuck!

You know, we've really come a long way as a society, because we don't even need to change out of our stained sweats or leave our houses to get fired. Just spew out some offensive fuckery on Twitter and wait by the mailbox for your final check to show up.

I always think of the animals when disasters like this happen. I feel so bad for them. Good link, Grimm, I'm going to tweet it.

G.G is so not funny ever any way. Good for them firing his stupid ass.

Meryl doesn't even try anymore. She just calls Lanvin and asks for curtains with a belt.~Bitter
    Can we interest you in Leann Rimes? She has a nice little cadre of fans you'd probably enjoy.~ Pecan Pie

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Please spread it around
    I just did.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

i just posted that link on FB Grimm, i cant wait for the backlash but i dont care, i care about animals too so haters can shove it!

^^ Yep, just got reamed on another forum for posting the link cause "no one should donate for animals until every last human has been rescued". I advised them that they can do what the hell they want with their money, and don't effing try to tell me what to do with mine. So I'll probably get banned.

If anybody gives you backlash, defriend them. They aren't worth shit.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Good for the rescuers too to see life with all they're dealing with.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information