Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Tsunami Hits Japan After Massive Earthquake

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes

Those images are unbelievable. There's just nothing left. The entire towns are just washed away.
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Uh they're planning to distribute iodine tablets, a treatment for radiation poisoning, to the locals of Fukushima. That's a bad sign about the nuclear situation.
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Iodine is also used for water treatment. Water treatment plants are probably down and it may have nothing to do with radioactivity.

"Directions for disinfecting water with iodine

Iodine tablets
    1. Follow the tablet manufacturers' instructions.
    2. If water is cloudy, double the number of tablets.
    3. If water is extremely cold, less than 5° C (41° F), an attempt should be made to warm the water, and the recommended contact time (standing time between adding a chemical disinfectant to the water and drinking the water) should be increased to achieve reliable disinfection.
    Note: Be sure the tablet size is correct for a liter of water."
    Water Treatment Methods | CDC Travelers' Health

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

My niece called from Saitama. They are scheduled to have rolling blackouts starting today, but the gas and water are running and so she really hasn't been badly affected by the whole disaster. Thank God.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Quote Originally Posted by Alleycat View Post
    Interesting. I think the sea water is a last ditch attempt at cooling - according to the BBC, once the reactors have been flooded with it, they can't be used again, as the salt ruins the delicate machinery. He also didn't mention the four people hospitalised with radiation poisoning - seems to me the leak was serious enough.
    They had an expert on Sky News yesterday talking about the reactor being flooded with sea water and boric acide, his opinion was that as the plant is about forty years old it didn't have much time before it was decommissioned anyway so he reckoned the Japanese government decided just to write it off and close it down. They're saying that the Japanese authorities are telling people that if any radiation is present, as long as it's only on clothes or the surface of skin then it won't cause any health problems but I've no idea whether that's true or not. The whole thing is just dreadful, those before and after pics are horrifying, it's hard to imagine that towns four and five times the size of the one I live in are gone with so many of the people who lived there.

It looks like Gaddafi is capitalising on the distraction this is providing.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I just looked up the population of Minami Sanriku and it's roughly the same as the seaside town I live in. (obviously the actually area/size of the places are totally different, but still..) The thought of it all being wiped out is insane. It really puts it into perspective.

Horrible tragedy.

i'm in yer manifesto, correcting your spelling mistakes
    "Hope everyone' shavin a good one!" - Karistiona

Default Soldiers warn of tsunami threat in NE Japan

Soldiers warn of tsunami threat in NE Japan - Yahoo! News

A woman cries as she looks for her missing husband in Minamisanriku town, Miyagi prefecture, northern Japan

SOMA, Japan – Soldiers and officials in northeastern Japan are warning residents that the area could be hit by another tsunami and are ordering residents to higher ground.

Sirens around the town of Soma went off late Monday morning and public address systems ordered residents to higher ground.
    Kyodo News Agency said the tsunami could be 10 feet (3 meters) high, citing Fukushima prefectural officials.

An Associated Press reporter stood about 100 yards (100 meters) from the coast.
    The area was hit by a massive quake and tsunami on Friday.

Lord help those people. It just doesn't seem to end.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRDpTEjumdo[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNHyH_44kVA[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    This is just so scary. I can't get over how destructive this is.

And eerily enough, I had a mega-tidal wave dream on Monday. *twilight zone music*
    Another good friend of mine had the same dream early Monday! wtf...I wonder if other people did too.

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    this morning they were talking about the fault lines in california and how a massive earthquake is inevitable and it could be anytime. That the nuclear plants in california are not well equipped and it will effect the entire united states. It can happen here. We need to learn from what's going on there.
    Considering how many nuclear plants Japan has and how many are apparently okay, I'd say that actually they were pretty well-prepared. I also agree with those who've said NOT A GOOD IDEA IN AN EARTHQUAKE ZONE but with their land mass, lack of natural resources and large population they are kinda screwed. I guess they felt it was their best option. I agree we've not heard the whole story yet, though.

One more thing: in the hands of California's government instead of Japan's, well.....just trying to imagine how massively fucking bad this would've been here by comparison makes me feel sick.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    This is what terrifies me, as I live in the Bay Area (not close to San Francisco but more north).

The Bay and L.A. are due for the big one, and as we have seen no amount of disaster preparedness can account for human nature. And that is the urge to panic. I can honestly say that if many were suddenly to experience a massive earthquake, no training can prepare you for the sheer terror of the moment. When you're in a building and everything is shaking and the glasses are making a horrible noise, all training goes out the window. I still remember the earthquake in 1987 in southern california, as I was walking to a class in the morning, the earthquake that hit was so powerful it knocked me off my feet to the ground.

But there is no doubt that some of the training in Japan did in fact help many to act properly. I can't remember though when's the last time my company or city did any sort of drills for any disaster. Scary thought.

As for lying being a cultural thing, it may be but it's apparent that general human nature would seem to indicate that downplaying or lying about the potential dangers of an incident knows no cultural bounds:

http://www.efmr.org/files/TMIA_Japan_accident.pdf

Fukushima vs. Three Mile Island (Background: March 12, 2011)
    Very good points and ITA. Lying is human nature, unfortunately, political human nature quadruply so.

The '89 Loma Prieta quake threw me off the sidewalk into the street. It was absolutely stunning, so fast, so harsh. As I was in Berkeley, I was on solid bedrock (most of Berkeley is, except for down by the bay obviously.) So there was no extended liquefaction shimmy. But the jolt was unforgettable. I was so stunned, I couldn't comprehend what had happened until car alarms began going off EVERYWHERE. Sooo creepy.

My gut feeling is that the next huge one will either be off the NoCal/Oregon coast, or perhaps south of San Jose again, near the '89 epicenter--just a gut feeling that that area isn't done yet. The Hayward Fault worries me because Berkeley would be a nightmare if it ruptured--it would be near impossible to get any emergency services through the narrow, windy streets, and fire would be a huge problem during most of the year.

LA, who knows. But they would suffer even worse than we would, for a lot of reasons.

No matter what, we are idiots not to prepare and drill more as the Japanese did. My house is partially bolted and has a strong shear wall, bolted to new foundation, down the center of the basement. It's also built on a well-drained, rocky clay slope, no hidden creeks or anything, and it's old and solid. I do have a lot of supplies. But it's never enough....

At least I'm not in a fuckin' tsunami zone. I always pick hills. Yeah, I am that paranoid of the ocean! Those videos scare me out of my mind!
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    Another good friend of mine had the same dream early Monday! wtf...I wonder if other people did too.

On Thursday night to Friday morning (10-11th March) I dreamt that some friends came to visit me at 6 in the morning. I thought that was really strange but I invited them in anyway. They had a strange chocolate cake with them to celebrate someone's birthday but I new it wasn't my birthday and it wasn't the boyfriend's either. The cake had inside this clear, jello-like thing, it almost looked like a squid and I didn't want to eat it but they insisted. Then they also insisted on doing the dishes and I went in the kitchen to object but I found them in the back porch and they were washing the dishes in seawater because the boyfriend's house was practically surrounded in seawater like it is sometimes in houses here in the islands. However in that case there was a tide and the water was up on the balcony and I was freaking out about it.

I don't know, I just wrote it off as some weird anxiety dream but now that I reevaluate it the water, the squid in the cake and the time by friends visited (it was around 05:50 in Greece when the earthquake struck Japan) it all kinda freaks me out.

The fuel rods in reactor no. 2 are completely exposed apparently.

Also, US Navy personnel have been contaminated: Radioactive contamination found on 17 U.S. Navy crewmembers in Japan

Low levels, but the radiation must be travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    As for lying being a cultural thing, it may be but it's apparent that general human nature would seem to indicate that downplaying or lying about the potential dangers of an incident knows no cultural bounds:
    Exactly! Financial crisis anyone? Investment bankers? Last time I checked, the Bush administration wasn't Japanese either.

Governments lie, business administrations lie. In. every. single. culture.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Page 10 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread Information